Superbyke...an interesting development

raydog

Enjoying 1 road at a time
Donating Member
Registered
So, in an effort to promote the 0-160mph performance of the Superbyke, I am going from a 42t rear to a 45t. I don't do much sustained riding above 160 but it would be fun to get there quicker! Seriously, real low gearing on a 460 lb Busa ought to really feel lively, it'll be fun.
Anyways, after removing the rear wheel for the sprocket change, I inspected the Carrozzeria bearings (3) and below is what I found on the sprocket carrier hub! I caught it JUST PRIOR to catastrophic failure. What's the lesson? Don't ever change out a tire or brake pads without doing a serious inspection of your bearings! Dry ,schrapnel imbedded in the race and missing at least 10 ball bearings for me. Something tells me that the below blowout bearing WAS NOT Japanese, German or USA produced(read between the lines here). Picture what could have happened, driving hard, 80 mph, banked sweeper, heavy throttle.....then BANG, it lets go....I'm just saying....

Thanks to Scott (Isiahstites)we ordered replacements (Japanese, not Chinese) and for less than $100 bucks, it'll be tite, rite and better than before. BTW, he also ckd on ceramic bearings and the over $400 dollar price tag convinced me to say, not this season. Next time, for sure. I'll post how the bike feels with the low gears. Doyle

IMG_0002 (2).jpg

IMG_0003 (2).jpg

IMG_0004 (2).jpg

IMG_0006 (2).jpg

IMG_0007 (2).jpg

I think what surprises me most is that you couldn't feel it enough to go looking for it. Nice save, Doyle!!! That could have been really ugly.

I would have felt just a little nauseous finding that! Looks pretty knarley!

Ray.... Good find!:thumbsup: Glad you were not hurt from that failure!:please: You will enjoy fresh bearings and the +3 rear sprocket!:cheerleader:

Nice save and I think its a good idea to post this thread :thumbsup: hopefully every1 will give thier busa a 1 time over after seeing this :whistle:

Whoa! Were those the bearings that came in the wheel from CZ? Ive got tires on the way and Im deff gonna give mine a good once over during the swap.

Ray, maybe one of those bearings is what Scott slipped on ?

Seriously, I ordered a stock front sprocket from Driven and they sent a 17T instead of the stock 18T. So now I'm 1 down at the front and 2 up at the rear. I love it! It's like there is a whole part of the engine I wasn't using. I am not regularly shifting at redline in first and second, and 3rd once so far too.

Engine is a bit buzzy but I love the power. The bike is also much smoother, I assume because it's staying in the powerband more.

Doyle, I think someone is talking to you. Maybe it's time to convert to a good "God Fearing" Conservative? :thumbsup:

Whoa! Were those the bearings that came in the wheel from CZ? Ive got tires on the way and Im deff gonna give mine a good once over during the swap.

Yes they came in the CZ wheels and those who know me know I may ride hard but I take care of my equipment, this is really unacceptable, I'll examine the old ones, determine their country of origin and post the results. I do want to make the point however, that I haven't closely examined those bearings in two tire changes (1 1/2 yrs time) so I take some of the blame re: how bad they presently are. WE ALL really need to look closely at our wheel bearings much more frequently than we do!

And another thing! Having said the above, it's important to note that I have owned 72 motorcycles over 50 years time and NEVER had ONE wheel bearing go out, dirt, street or track. Makes ya wonder if being produced by a 13 year old cnc operator in a far off land had anything to do with this!

Doyle, I think someone is talking to you. Maybe it's time to convert to a good "God Fearing" Conservative? :thumbsup:

That's funny Steven....I'd rather die a gawdless pagan! Eternity ain't that long.

I would think with aftermarket wheels. They would come with sealed bearings.

Ray, maybe one of those bearings is what Scott slipped on ?

LMAO:laugh:

Glad to have been able to help Doyle and much more glad you found it the way you did. I'll let you know when the bearings come in and please consider a once over on those front bearings as well.

I suspect YOU took out a few of those ball bearings!
You'll do anything to make that bike weigh less, won't you!? :laugh:

Back