how to know you almost ran out of fuel

semi

Whoooosh!
Donating Member
Registered
a couple weeks ago when Busawhipped and i were running up to Wisconsin for the Midwest MnG VIII, we were fighting some nasty headwinds that were killing my fuel mileage (plus, he has lost a bunch of weight which helps him even more)...he was leading and i knew he was getting better mpg so i was paying attention when the low fuel light came on...i knew i had another 20-25 miles before i needed to worry which would put us right where another major highway was going to cross the one we were on

however, about the time we reached that point, we realized there weren't any gas stations around...after riding a couple more miles, i passed BW and pulled off to let him know that i was seriously hurting for fuel and didn't know if i would make it to the next station...i took the lead and held it to around 55 while sucking as close to the tank as i could to conserve gas...of all the worst times possible, here came a group of Harleys that passed us as I'm almost coasting down the highway :banghead: :laugh:

anyway, i finally see the exit, take it, and hang a left to the station about 500 yards away...i eased up to a pump, cut her off, opened the gas cap, shook the bike, and there wasn't anything left to slosh or even drip! i started pumping gas and pumping gas and pumping gas...i know these tanks are supposed to be 21 litres which equals 5.55 gallons but i managed to stick 5.6 gallons in without spilling a drop :laugh: i truly believe (and sincerely hope) that is the most fuel i am ever able to pump as i think i would have been pushing Lucy if it had been another tenth of a mile...btw, i managed to run 41 miles after the light came on and was only averaging 33 mpg with that headwind

Lucy, thank you so much for successfully hauling me to the destination one more time :bowdown:

IMG_8974 (Large).jpg

Yep that was close :laugh: I ran mine down to 225 miles but was scared to push it any further. I don't like pushing that thing:laugh:

Closest I actually came was in my dual carb'ed VW Bug, I was 1/4 mile from the station and the bowls were empty and the engine shut off. I had converted it to an electric fuel pump so I left that switched on while I coasted a little, fired the engine for one more go and barely made it into the pump.

$4.269 per gallon. Holy Moly!:shocked:

When I bought my last bike (2005 ZRX1200), the dealership delivered it to my house. Started it, fuel gauge showed empty, but only 1/2 mile or so down the highway to the station, so off I went. It died on the opposite side of the divided highway from the station and I had to push it across the median turn lane and up to the pumps. Only time I've ever actually ran completely out of gas on a bike.

I am usually pulling in or moving towards a fuel station at 1/4 tank. Busa is big bird to push to a fuel depot:whistle: :laugh: Never put more than 4.2 or .3 gallons

you've got that right, it was way too close! :thumbsup:

So how many miles did you get out of that tank? I know riding style and conditions would come into play but I have always been curious just how far you could go before having to push.

I have never wanted to test how far I could push the bike either, so I pay that extra 1$ for Progresive Roadside assistence!

This makes me nervous when I'm away from home in a strange state. ???

that's one of the things i love about my Zumo 660, just hit "find fuel" and follow the directions :thumbsup: only time you really have to be more cautious is between midnight and 0600 when a lot of stations in smaller towns are closed :beerchug:

So how many miles did you get out of that tank? I know riding style and conditions would come into play but I have always been curious just how far you could go before having to push.

I have never wanted to test how far I could push the bike either, so I pay that extra 1$ for Progresive Roadside assistence!

i think we only got about 180 miles out of that tank because of the horrible conditions...i normally get 210-225 miles when cruising on the interstate and end up pumping 5.0-5.2 gallons when i stop :beerchug: i know i've got approx. a gallon left when the low fuel light comes on and try to find a station about 20-25 miles on down the road, gives me a half gallon in case something happens

Back