Timelapse Video

Here's a pic of the Ikea egg timer that I used for the sweeping shot :laugh:

4879868a.jpg

I was gonna ask how you did that; the egg timer was genius.

So, now, how did you edit it? please provide insight!

So you did that with a gopro? What setting is time lapse or how did you do this?

I could have just as easily done it all with the GoPro but the moving bit only was done with the GoPro. The rest was the DSLR

Stick it on the Egg timer,

Set to Timelapse mode, 1 shot every 2 seconds, 5MP quality as you do not need the filesize.

Wind the timer up, 60 minutes = 360 degrees rotation so 15 minutes = 90 degrees which turns out to be just right

As you will combine all the images in any video editing package at 30 frames per second (I used Premiere Pro), 15mins @ 1 shot every 2 secs gives you 15 seconds of video

Ta da :thumbsup:

The principal is the same with the DSLR only the egg timer won't turn it :laugh: so it needs to be stationary. I can't take credit for the original idea but I still had to implement it

Cheers for the comments all.

I have Premier Elements, so can you talk thru that just a little bit deeper?

That would make a cool intro or a splice into other videos...

I have Premier Elements, so can you talk thru that just a little bit deeper?

That would make a cool intro or a splice into other videos...

My thoughts exactly, this was just a proof of concept :thumbsup:

So when I fire up a new project I get a screen asking about media input and I select HDV, then I get the below

PremierePro1.jpg

Be sure you pick a sequence that has a frame rate of 30fps, 24 would work too but 60fps may run the clouds through too quick. I don't go full 1080p, 720 is loads good enough.

The next key step is to import your numbers jpegs, as per below there is a little check box that lights up once you select the first image "numbered stills"

PremierePro2-1.jpg

The rest is just dropping an audio track in, some transitions and maybe a title or 2, the project looks like this

PremierePro3.jpg

The one gotcha is that the aspect ratio from a camera is more square 3x2 than the HD aspect ratio of 16x9. Bear this in mind when you shoot as you will need to clip the top and the bottom of the frame out - either by zooming in on the movie or batch edit the images firstly

I save the final vid as H264 encoded .mp4 file

Hope this helps

Very cool. Premier Elements doesn't give you as many choices nor does the edit window look so sweet;

A bunch of us are having problems picking the best import/resolution settings for importing .mp4 gopro video and exporting to youtube. Do you have some knowledge in this area that you could share? The screenshots are worth a thousand words!

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.jpg

Jesus, now I'm confused :laugh:

That time lapse clip for example was less than 30 megs which is pretty small compared to some of the settings I had tried

This is the first screen when I choose to export where I select the format H264

Export.jpg

Then I select the quality or resolution and instead of having to have a degree in hieroglyphics I just choose "Vimeo HD"

Export2.jpg

Ok, Elements looks a little different. Below will be pic. The only place I see for Vimeo HD is in AVCHD (what does that mean?).

Also, I have some vids I've uploaded to youtube, but they like to cut out my audio (soundtrack). Vimeo doesn't. Do you know how to embed Vimeo in to the .org pages?

Here's a link to a vid I put up in vimeo, but obviously used the wrong save settings.

Hunters Tandem 120708

Capture1.jpg

I've read some reviews on the difference between AVCHD and HDV and to be honest it was nit picking and I couldn't tell the difference. Whatever I am doing seems to work and I'll stick with it.
Vimeo embed is straight forward once you have done it once just use the below

[vimeo]45531325[/vimeo]

THANK YOU SOOOO VERY MUCH!

I took the stuff you showed above, and saved to the presets for AVCHD and Vimeo HD. The file size was ONE THIRD of the original, and THIS ONE includes an HD button. The quality is ALMOST as good as the original raw .mp4. Here is the CORRECTED video (the difference is clear - Make sure you click on the "HD" Button to watch in HD mode):

[vimeo]45968877[/vimeo]

I also suspect that if I'll use the youtube presets, rather than direct upload to youtube, I'll get a better product also (when there are no music issues).

While a little off topic, this thread has REALLLLLY helped me to understand the correct/best settings for getting GoPro HD video and Premier edits into something that looks good on the web. AWESOME THANK YOU AGAIN!

P.S.

CAN YOU ALSO lend your knowledge and tell me what the best settings to burn to DVD are?

Cool, you're very welcome :thumbsup:

The difference up in the quality is very noticeable alright, your Vid was very well put together too. Premiere Pro is your next step, opens whole world of plugins like Twixtor for slow-mo, Magic Bullet Looks for colour correction and loads more.

I'll have to pass on the DVD question as I never run anything off to DVD

Considering that Premier Elements is around $100 and the other is more like $400?

Back