Starting rebuild after lay down

1fast450

Registered
Recently purchased my dream bike after years of looking and not actually being able to due to financial reasons. Found a 06 with right about 7,000 miles. Paid $4,700 for it and was on my way very happy with my purchase. Very clean and well maintained bike. Only real issue was a minor spot of rash from a very low speed lay down.
Well three days goes by and the worst thing imaginable happens. Guy in front of me suddenly changes his mind about making a left hand turn and gets back into the lane leaving me with no where to go and no room to stop. But i tried anyways. Was stopping good when all of a sudden the front tire washes out and I find my self on the way to the ground. I rolled a few times and pop up looking for my bike. It slide into the back of the truck. Not being able to pick it up and drive away I sit down pi$$ed at the guy in the truck and wait for the paramedics and police to arrive.
After leaving the hospital I return to asses the damages and it doesn't look good. But is fixable. Now time to make her exactly the way I want her
This is only the start. I am on a job working straight time for a while so may take a while to get her back together again. But sacking parts and doing some polishing till then.

Plans are polish frame, swingarm, wheels, & rearsets. Replace all bearings, fluids, filters, and plugs while she is torn down. Custom paint with air brushing and candy. Adding 6 inch stretch and new tires as well. Thanks to all that helped with parts an info. This site ROCKS.

So far I have I have a large pile of parts stackin up waiting. And have just finished polishing the frame. Will be updating this as I go. Will be slow but doing as much as possible while on a job and four hours away from home.
Sorry for the long post. Now on to the good part, pictures.

image-2468664511.jpg

image-3352412738.jpg

image-3900939572.jpg

image-984264146.jpg

image-3716703830.jpg

image-3956013716.jpg

image-1817152845.jpg

More pics. And for those that don't know. Polishing aluminum makes a MESS. LOL

Next on the list is to start polishing on the swingarm.

image-3191533988.jpg

image-2956466005.jpg

image-2553249992.jpg

image-503951773.jpg

image-1829456621.jpg

image-2193395345.jpg

image-701646649.jpg

image-3288513034.jpg

image-1864594497.jpg

image-2536214441.jpg

image-1166496335.jpg

Sorry to hear about your getoff... But it looks like you have everything under control... :thumbsup:... Good luck with your build !!

Thats a badarse lid by the way...:thumbsup:

b-dub_sr said:
Sorry to hear about your getoff... But it looks like you have everything under control... :thumbsup:... Good luck with your build !!

Thats a badarse lid by the way...:thumbsup:

Thank you. Will be a slow build (only due to work schedule) but will turn out exactly as I want it. I have all the parts. And even the painter lined up waiting. Now just for me to be able to get off work. Which may not happen until August or even later.

And yes that helmet is bada$$. Got from fleabay. It's practically. Not a scratch or scuff on it, and got a good deal on it too.

Nice work. Sometimes a little rub on the ground is the push we need to go for that "dream bike". Keep us posted!

ResidentEvil said:
you just did the outside of the frame, now do the inside too so it matches :whistle:

As much work as it has been I think I will stick to the parts that can be seen for now lol.
Still have a lot of polishing left to keep me busy for now.

Thanks guys. Was a lot of work but VERY rewarding. A great sense of accomplishment once I stepped back and saw how it looked when finished.

Should be starting on the swingarm next week. Stay tuned for updates as I go

may i make a suggestion....do the whole frame...easy on the welds.

Wow that sucks man I would have beat that guy with my helmet. Also my buddy has that same helmet and loves it. Nice job on the frame, when can I send you mine lol

viperblackbusa said:
may i make a suggestion....do the whole frame...easy on the welds.

Just wondering what's the benefits of doing the whole frame would be. Besides knowing it all matches. I mean the time and effort it would take to polish out something that would never be seen could be better spent on something else.
Is there any benefit from doing a strictly cosmetic mod where it would not be seen.

Not fussing or being rude. Just trying to figure it out and possibly learn something.

If it wouldn't be for the clear coat or what ever it is on that section of the frame I might would consider it. But the worst part of the job was cutting through that clear finish.

black diamond busa said:
Wow that sucks man I would have beat that guy with my helmet. Also my buddy has that same helmet and loves it. Nice job on the frame, when can I send you mine lol

No point in getting angry and making everything worse. It wouldn't have fixed anything. So I just sat down and waited. Paramedics actually asked if I am sure that I was the one who just wrecked. Said my blood pressure was better then his. Lol

Worst thing is I got a ticket for following too closely. Smh. Cop said he gave me that because he KNEW I was doing something I shouldn't have and not riding within the law. But couldn't prove it. It is a shame the stereotypes we have to deal with because we ride a sport bike.

So I am now in a program to keep that off my record. Six months probation is gonna suck. But my record was perfect and will be that way again.

Oh and I won't be takin any frames. It is fine to do on my own. But would never do this for anyone else. The price I would charge just wouldn't be worth it. This is not fun at all. Lol

Just wondering what's the benefits of doing the whole frame would be. Besides knowing it all matches. I mean the time and effort it would take to polish out something that would never be seen could be better spent on something else.
Is there any benefit from doing a strictly cosmetic mod where it would not be seen.

Not fussing or being rude. Just trying to figure it out and possibly learn something.

If it wouldn't be for the clear coat or what ever it is on that section of the frame I might would consider it. But the worst part of the job was cutting through that clear finish.

Honestly no there really isnt any benefit. Other than people looking at your baby seeing it possibly. What you did looks incredible. I hope you dont think i was knocking it..

viperblackbusa said:
Honestly no there really isnt any benefit. Other than people looking at your baby seeing it possibly. What you did looks incredible. I hope you dont think i was knocking it..

No didn't think so at all. But where I stopped should be well under the fairings. So no worries of anyone seeing it. And the amount of work to get around the air ducts and cutting through the clear finish definitely makes me not want to go any further. If it wouldn't have the clear I may consider it. But it takes a lot of sanding to get through that. Lol was only making sure I didn't miss any downfalls of having stopped where I did.

Back