Kawasaki ZX-14 crash (Highside? Lowside?)

Another thing is I don't think he was looking far enough ahead. He should have been looking around the corner if not way past it.
It's been proven many times that the bike goes where you look.

He also wrote a check that his tires couldn't cash.
I tend to think he was going to fast. The rule is - slow in fast out.

I think this guy didn't truly understand why body positioning is used. That bike is leaned way to far and he stayed in line with it. Just moving a butt cheek over helps nothing. FAIL!

Another thing is I don't think he was looking far enough ahead. He should have been looking around the corner if not way past it.
It's been proven many times that the bike goes where you look.

He also wrote a check that his tires couldn't cash.
I tend to think he was going to fast. The rule is - slow in fast out.

Ok. The rule is - slow in fast out.

Body position is not the cause of his crash. Too much lean angle which can be reduced by improved body position is a factor no doubt but even attempting that much lean on touring tires shows his lack of understanding traction limits.

Also, a huge factor in this particular instance has to be throttle control. Looking at his throttle hand it appears he has the throttle closed from the first photo.

How do you eat an elephant?
One bite at a time.
This fella bit off more than he could chew! :laugh:

Shoulda had some SHINKOS on that thing......NEVER woulda happened !!!:laugh:

clearly lowside but what i can't figure out is why his body wasn't pivoting to the inside of the turn and looking through it. i thought that was track school 101.

I had put up post showing a high side photographed in a similar fashion, however the post was pending approval of the administrators. That was two days ago, guess it wasn't approved.

One more try? Some of you may be familiar with these pics, but a nice contrast to the low side pictures.

Apr-04-2010-SoCalTrackdaysTurn09-42.jpg

Apr-04-2010-SoCalTrackdaysTurn09-41.jpg

Apr-04-2010-SoCalTrackdaysTurn09-40.jpg

Apr-04-2010-SoCalTrackdaysTurn09-39.jpg

Apr-04-2010-SoCalTrackdaysTurn09-38.jpg

Apr-04-2010-SoCalTrackdaysTurn09-37.jpg

Apr-04-2010-SoCalTrackdaysTurn09-36.jpg

Apr-04-2010-SoCalTrackdaysTurn09-35.jpg

Apr-04-2010-SoCalTrackdaysTurn09-34.jpg

Apr-04-2010-SoCalTrackdaysTurn09-32.jpg

In regards to the low side pictures, I don't think I've seen worse body position, at least on a track, than what was demonstrated by that rider.

Pilot roads use the same rubber compound on the sides as pilot powers. it was not tires problem he didn`t slid he simply dropped it due to low speed and luck of skills.
damn kawi riders.

Body position is not the cause of his crash. Too much lean angle which can be reduced by improved body position is a factor no doubt but even attempting that much lean on touring tires shows his lack of understanding traction limits.

Meh, I get damn close to that on my Pilot Road 2's. That guys body position is terrible IMO. If he had his wait over more, the bike would be more upright, and he'd have been fine. Looks like he snagged something hard due to too much lean.

Pilot roads use the same rubber compound on the sides as pilot powers. it was not tires problem he didn`t slid he simply dropped it due to low speed and luck of skills.
damn kawi riders.

I hope you aren't trying to tell me a touring tire with a heavy stiff carcass and a nice round profile will produce the same amount of grip as a Hypersport tire just because they have the same surface rubber are you?

I f you are referring to the OP set of pictures you are incorrect. That is clearly a low side as others have already mentioned in this thread. If referring to the pictures I posted then, yes.

pending approval? is that a new member restriction oh and by the way :welcome:

he simply dropped it due to low speed and luck of skills.

I guess I don't know how you think that.
If he had been going say 20 mph he would not have had to have that much lean.
But if he was going 60 mph he would have had to lean it to pull the bike around the corner.
I agree that his lean angle was poor and the he didn't look far enough ahead and that he was going to FAST for his experience level.
I still stand by - slow in fast out.

When I watch pro racing I see them race down the straight away and then back way off to go around the first corner.
Yes the pro can go from 200 mph to maybe 60 and pull their bike around that corner on slick tires using a 350 lb bike.
You can't do that on a ZX14 and get away with it, especially if your not a pro.

Just my 2 cents.:dunno:

If he led with his head he would have been off the bike further, as it naturally allows the body to rotate and get the knee down first before hard parts. Seems to me that he was trying to get his knee down by forcing the bike down to the point of contact, rather than putting his knee down first, and leading with his head.

My problem with my Busa is that when I lean head first into a corner and hang off, the bike takes the corner very sharply! Great when your riding fast but sucks when you want to have fun and scrap the pucks!
Not that I'm complaining!

Had no problem with on my TL1000S, scrap a corner no problem grip for days coming up! But Ole Big Bird just says OK you want to cut this corner in half? OK CHOP! How about 1/3s? OK CHOP, CHOP! And I'm like ummm thanks, but I just want to get my knee on the deck please? :please:

What can I say she's just to good at cornering! :cheerleader:

I guess I need to do some track days? I've got almost 5,000 miles on her in just 3 months, so I have plenty of seat time, and since I put the Q2s on her she won't slide unless I crack the throttle mid corner and leave nice darkys on the pavement!

If anyone else has the same problem going from a 1,000 to 1,349 cc let me know.

Thanks

On the first set I would say body position is a factor, but since he lost the front it is hard to say what caused the fall. Most likely a combination of things. Too much lean angle with the wrong body position. Was he still braking? On the gas or off? Suspension set up properly? Bumpy section or smooth? Over/under inflated tires? Cold tires? Cold track?

IMO and experience, you cannot dissect a crash from a series of pictures. Merely bench racing and speculation. Without atleast video with sound it's just guessing. For accurate analysis you need telemetry. Throttle position. Brake force. Suspension travel. Lean angle. Velocity. And an idea of the conditions. Outside air temp. An idea of tire temp. First lap out. Or 29th consecutive hot lap on street compound tires. Were the tires most likely hot or heated to the squish point.

Always fun to speculate but that's all it is. Maybe we should be speculating for the oil companies... Couldn't do any worse than the real ones do!

Back