Rattling Sound with My Brock's Alien Head Slip-ons

smartinez1984

Registered
I finally took the 2011 Busa out for a spin after getting the Brock's Alien Head slip-ons & Heli bars installed and I am hearing a rattling sound coming from underneath the engine area, where the pipes would meet the actual exhaust, I guess.

I can best describe it as a rattling that matches the frequency of the engine RPMs? Not sure if that's how to explain it but it's annoying. I called support to see if I was supposed to use exhaust sealant or other items than what came with the parts and was told no.

The sound overpowers the awesome sound of the pipes themselves... :( Is this expected?

I finally took the 2011 Busa out for a spin after getting the Brock's Alien Head slip-ons & Heli bars installed and I am hearing a rattling sound coming from underneath the engine area, where the pipes would meet the actual exhaust, I guess.

I can best describe it as a rattling that matches the frequency of the engine RPMs? Not sure if that's how to explain it but it's annoying. I called support to see if I was supposed to use exhaust sealant or other items than what came with the parts and was told no.

The sound overpowers the awesome sound of the pipes themselves... :( Is this expected?

Something is loose.
Possibly the lower header mount bolt, if it isn't tight the washer could be rattling.
There also isn't alot of play or rotation with alienhead slipons, as they have a fixed muffler mount and no seperate midpipe.
If the muffler or even a washer is on the wrong side of the passenger peg it could move the opposite end of the pipe close enough to vibrate against something.
These are just guesses, but something is definately loose or misaligned as you should have no rattles at all.
Double check all you fasteners and make sure you have clearance around where the mufflers meet the header.:beerchug:

I'll dig around tonight - there was really nothing complicated about making the chagnes from stock to these. The only difference is the stock had the clamps and these don't. Thanks!

I looked around the exhaust area for any clearance issues and saw none - everything appears to have plenty of space around all aspects of the exhaust, including the new slip-ons. I did notice something, though, which makes me wonder if this is where the rattling is coming from. I'm thinking I should have the exhaust mounting bracket sit BETWEEN the large washer and the internal rubber gasket. Right now it's:

bolt --> metal washer --> mounting bracket --> larger metal washer --> rubber gasket --> peg --> etc..

Perhaps it should be:

bolt --> metal washer --> larger metal washer --> mounting bracket --> rubber gasket --> peg --> etc...

Something doesn't sound right... Maybe I should add another rubber gasket? Or maybe this is not where the rattling is coming from?

Again, worked to late yesterday to get a GREAT look at it but I can't seem to find any other reason this would sound so bad ???

I can't for the life of me figure out what may be going on here. I removed the pipes, put them back on, same thing. Checked for any loose "parts" and could find nothing. Tried running without the springs that hold the two-piece pipes together, just in case, and nothing. I've not purchased a rubber washer to go between the pipe mounting bracket and the bike connection but should this be necessary? :banghead: I'm thinking about putting back the stock pipes to see if the rattling persists...

Anyone?

pic is of mounting for a YOSH, similar to Brock's??

mounting.jpg

Almost identical except for the item identified as "supplied rubber insulator". What exactly is that pointing to? That's why I was wondering if I should purchase a rubber insert or "washer" to go between the stock washer and muffler clamp?

Yup, it's what goes through the peg, correct? Here's a pic I just took of the mounting process: Does that look correct?

It does to me. All bolts/clamps torqued per specs (screen shot below, p. 33 of Gen II service manual) but might be different per Brock's install guide?

Almost identical except for the item identified as "supplied rubber insulator". What exactly is that pointing to?

Comes with kit from YOSH, wraps around the cans itself to provide "cushion" so no direct-metal-to-metal contact (see 2nd pic below). That could be an area where the pipes can rattle/vibrate. QUESTION: can you reproduce the rattling with bike stationary/on side stand?? VERY STUPID QUESTION: any chance anything fell inside the cans itself??

I've read that you have done the install from the very start and like you, cannot think of where/how else one can muck up the install. Best of luck and hope you sort this out, man.

100_3058.jpg

Pipes.jpg

I removed the pipes, checked for any loose items, and then put them back on. Only this time I put a small rubber insert between the pipe bracket and the 1st washer. I'll drive it a bit later to see if that makes a difference. Not sure what else to do if this doesn't make a difference :(

I removed the pipes, checked for any loose items, and then put them back on. Only this time I put a small rubber insert between the pipe bracket and the 1st washer. I'll drive it a bit later to see if that makes a difference. Not sure what else to do if this doesn't make a difference :(

Can you post a picture where the brock pipe meets the stock pipes.

Sure thing... Here is the right side when looking at bike from the back - looks pretty good:

IMG_0897.jpg

Here's the left side - doesn't look like it matches up, does it? Could this be it?

IMG_0900.jpg

Looks like it is missing the factory gasket from the second picture you posted.

Left side. Can you grab the brocks can and shake it where it meets the factory pipe. Any play in it?

please see schematic in my POST #8 above: no connector (part #12) OR clamp (part# 10) where new cans mate up with factory pieces?

So, no play in the Brock's when I attempt to move them around, seem pretty solid. The stock pipes had these clamps:

IMG_0903.jpg

Interestingly, though, when I called Brock's support they said I didn't need clamps :(

Here is the inside of the stock pipe:

IMG_0902.jpg

It does seem to same some type of gasket - both pipes have this same insert.

I'm curious to why the left doesn't seem to fit as well as the right. Did I get the wrong pieces for the left side?

Back