Trash can mod with cruise install starts TONIGHT!

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
It all starts over tonight... I fiddled with the cruise last night looking for just what I wanted to do and then it came to me..... Pull everything off and do it again... So...... I am going to pull all of my wiring off my bike of mods I have done and redo it all...

This should be fun!

Cap

Remember that water blows in around the passenger seat/hump in the rain, if you're putting any electronics in the trunk mod.
I still haven't come up with a cheap and easy way to seal that, with common parts everyone can access...yet.:beerchug:

Not sure what we are mounting but the boating section in most sporting goods store sells water tight boxes.

you do realize of course that follow up posts are required and well

:rulez:

uselesswithoutpichers.jpg

Not sure what we are mounting but the boating section in most sporting goods store sells water tight boxes.

It's not the trunkmod that causes water to get in.
It's the stock passenger seat and hump, they don't seal the stock trunk compartment either.
Rain water will blow in and begin filling up either one.:beerchug:

It's not the trunkmod that causes water to get in.
It's the stock passenger seat and hump, they don't seal the stock trunk compartment either.
Rain water will blow in and begin filling up either one.:beerchug:

Wouldnt lining some strategically placed lines silicon fix it or at least help?

Wouldnt lining some strategically placed lines silicon fix it or at least help?

That could be done and wouldn't hurt.
A seal could also be made, but it would take some work to do right.
I've been trying to come up with something simple(although it's been some time since I gave it any real thought).
A quick and easy way with a part that most everyone can find and buy cheap, just like the trunkmod itself.
Like a specific piece of weatherstripping that will mount without cutting or drilling on the tail.
Perhaps mounting on a frame fastened to the inner fenderwell sides/trashcan itself.
It would probably be simple to fasten weatherstripping to the passenger seat bottom, but the hump would be a challenge, if not impossible without drilling holes or glueing.

There ya go Russell, your turn to contribute to the trunk mod.
Get ta thinkin'!:poke:

That could be done and wouldn't hurt.
A seal could also be made, but it would take some work to do right.
I've been trying to come up with something simple(although it's been some time since I gave it any real thought).
A quick and easy way with a part that most everyone can find and buy cheap, just like the trunkmod itself.
Like a specific piece of weatherstripping that will mount without cutting or drilling on the tail.
Perhaps mounting on a frame fastened to the inner fenderwell sides/trashcan itself.
It would probably be simple to fasten weatherstripping to the passenger seat bottom, but the hump would be a challenge, if not impossible without drilling holes or glueing.

There ya go Russell, your turn to contribute to the trunk mod.
Get ta thinkin'!:poke:

Im taking pictures of this whole stinkin process... I am thinking about cutting the trash can off much longer than 4 or 5 inches and raising it as high on the inside of the "Trunk area as I can get it, even if I have to cut out some areas for cables and things... If I can raise the edges in a few areas it will make it virtually impossible for water to get in....

More to come...

Cant wait to see some pics Cap. Did you wind up using a rubbermaid or something else?

If my memory serves me correct.....didnt you also do that type of wiring work in a parking lot in Eureka Srpings once?:poke:

Good luck on the wiring.....pics are great:beerchug:

Im taking pictures of this whole stinkin process... I am thinking about cutting the trash can off much longer than 4 or 5 inches and raising it as high on the inside of the "Trunk area as I can get it, even if I have to cut out some areas for cables and things... If I can raise the edges in a few areas it will make it virtually impossible for water to get in....

More to come...

There's some outside the box thinking!
Taller sides to help keep water out.
Very good sir!:beerchug:
The water blows in around the back too, and the seat latch cross bar will need to be sealed with the taller sides on both sides of it.
Looking forward to seeing the results.

If my memory serves me correct.....didnt you also do that type of wiring work in a parking lot in Eureka Srpings once?

Thanks for the reminder Rodney, that was a factory harness recall that caused me 9 hours of hotel parking lot wiring....

Cant wait to see some pics Cap. Did you wind up using a rubbermaid or something else?

Bought a Hefty and another one from Wal Mart.. One is too big, one too small... Lowes had nothing so I am going in the AM for a new trash can run.....

The water blows in around the back too, and the seat latch cross bar will need to be sealed with the taller sides on both sides of it.

Correct, make it as tall as possible in all areas I can, this will make it a little deeper and also keep water out if I can just get it above the hump line.

Haven't had a water issue yet. Used a sealant around the entire installation, hopefully you wouldn't get much in there from the seat or hump area.

good luck Cap :beerchug: just make sure she's ready to go in a little over a week! :thumbsup:

Looking forward to the pictures of the install to compare to the others that have been taken. Another good sequence of pictures will inspire more people to do the mod if they are still on the fence about it.

ok, I'll bite. What's the trash can mod? With all the talk about humps and trashcan, I figure it's a new way to go two up with the passenger like this:

oscarthegrouch.jpg

:laugh:

Back