Ramps to load into your pickup

zukracer

I'm somewhere but dont know where
Donating Member
Registered
I'm considering buying some ramps to load the busa into the back of my avalanche. I measured, with the baxley sport chock the busa is about 85" to tip to tail and I have right at 90" from the front of the bed to the end of the tailgate. The bulk of the load will be closer in on the tailgate so I'm hoping that won't be as much of an issue but curious about what kind of ramps folks use. I've found a set of 40" wide 10' long ones that have a slight arch to them but my bike is lowered a little (1.5") so I'm curious if these will work. Anyone have any that they use and can recommend? I don't want to spend 1000+ on a set of ramps that they want for 12' ones (not to mention bringing them would take a pile o room) so these seem like a good deal for $350.

Thanks in advance if you guys have any ideas/suggestions/pics, etc :thumbsup:

Personally I use a triple folding aluminum ramp, but I have always liked these ramps. You still might run into a bit of an issue if you bike is lowered but these are extendable and arched where many are not.

Highland Ramp Champ Poly Telescoping Ramp — 750-Lb. Capacity | Telescoping Ramps | Northern Tool + Equipment

ramp.jpg

thanks! I like the ability to walk the bike up, I am no where near tall enough to do it without a ramp so this is what I was looking at. They come apart and fold up for transport/storage. They say the 10' ones should work with taller tailgates and lowered bikes, just not sure if anyone knew just how long you really need to get a bike on/off easily. I have a big ole trailer but its just not worth hauling one bike in it with gas @ $4/gal+ and all the tolls to get out of hell, err I mean Long Island/NY :banghead:

ramps.JPG

Try this company.
Customautotrim.com/loadingramps/ramps
These are the ones i use and they work great. They are a three piece unit. On sale for about 383.00
800-232-6922

I use a small short 5' ramp, initially purchased for my dirt bike. It works just as well for the Busa, provided I load/offload with a little hill behind the truck. The advantage is that it does not take up much space. The disadvantage is that at my destination, sometimes I have to drive around a bit, to find the perfect hill, but I always find one relatively fast.

I use more of a redneck solution. My loading ramp is an old piece of 2x12 lumber. It's a little over 6' long. I've hauled a lot of bikes around using this ramp. The only drawback is that I need an assistant to get a bike in and out of the truck. I got the ramp for free when my neighbor was cleaning out his garage. I recently hauled my new Hayabusa home using this board. No problem.

thanks! I like the ability to walk the bike up, I am no where near tall enough to do it without a ramp so this is what I was looking at. They come apart and fold up for transport/storage. They say the 10' ones should work with taller tailgates and lowered bikes, just not sure if anyone knew just how long you really need to get a bike on/off easily. I have a big ole trailer but its just not worth hauling one bike in it with gas @ $4/gal+ and all the tolls to get out of hell, err I mean Long Island/NY :banghead:

i actually kinda like that ramp

I have that exact ramp and have never used it. My wife bought it for me as a present and while it's the prefect ramp to load with it's to large to fit in the truck with the Busa. It takes a lot of space to store 3 ramps folded.

LOL! I made mine..
Ramp9-28-10002.jpg

Ramp9-28-10003.jpg

Ramp9-28-10004.jpg

Have loaded/unloaded the Busa a coupla times, and ride the dirt bike into the truck bed on a regular basis on it. Paid for the 3 sections of 2X6, everything else was courtesy of the shop scrap bin. Been in service for almost 10 years now.:thumbsup:

I have that exact ramp and have never used it. My wife bought it for me as a present and while it's the prefect ramp to load with it's to large to fit in the truck with the Busa. It takes a lot of space to store 3 ramps folded.
how does it connect together? I have an Avalanche so I have the back seat I can put the ramps into if I need the space, just trying to decide between these for $350 delivered and the Black Widows for 2x the cost

Try Harbour Freight ... No, I'm not joking, They have an assortment of well made, low priced ramps that will meet/exceed your needs ... if you check the listings in a recent motorcycle magazine you will usually find a coupon for 20% off their already bargain price ...

Go on ... we won't tell anyone where you got them :laugh:

This is how not to load your bike.???

which is exactly why I was looking for the wider ones I can walk it up with :thumbsup: Not to mention riding up into the back of the truck on a sharp angle might cause a hole to be ripped in the seat :whistle:

Hey zuk, if you get a chance and dont mind could you take a couple pics of how you are set up in the bed of your truck for tiedowns and such.... I have 2007 Avalanche and will more than likely be transporting from tx to va when i get home in july.....

Unfortunately i dont have a chock....

Was hoping to get a trailer by then or renting one but if she will fit i would like to do this...

Thanks

This is how not to load your bike.???

Lol! Speed and a steady throttle is your friend. My main concern is getting the thing stopped before I hit the front of the bed. For this reason I walk the Busa (under power) into the truck bed. Dirt bike.. meh.

Hey zuk, if you get a chance and dont mind could you take a couple pics of how you are set up in the bed of your truck for tiedowns and such.... I have 2007 Avalanche and will more than likely be transporting from tx to va when i get home in july.....

Unfortunately i dont have a chock....

Was hoping to get a trailer by then or renting one but if she will fit i would like to do this...

Thanks

Sure thing, I will have my baxley chock up against the mid-gate is my current plan and probably investing in a pair of these things regardless of ramp I purchase. By some eyeball measurements the rear tire will be on the tailgate but looks like it should be closer to the bed. My bed from mid-gate to end of the tailgate is 90" and I have a 2003 so I'm not sure if they changed anything on the 07's

tailgate-support.jpg

Back