Brake pad install question

karnage

Registered
I just picked my calipers up from the powder coater, got them rebuilt and mounted.Now when I put the pads on, do I use the stock metal backing plates or leave them off.Do these take up space or are they an anto rattle plate??I have Galfer 1375 ceramic pads if that makes a difference.

Make sure you install the pads with the friction surface towards the rotors.. believe it or not we had a member install the pads flipped around.

You know I was just thinking that and kinda chuckled a little.They are in right, I double checked.I do like the fact that you can just slide the new pads right in with the calipers on.:thumbsup:

They are on there.I figured they were on there for a reason.Just didnt know if the galfer pads needed them.I did notice that the pads arent centered on the rotor.The outer pad is closer to the rotor than the inner pad.Is that a problem??Didnt take notice when I pulled it apart.

A few years ago I tried the Galfer pads and wasn't sure of this myself ... I figured I was replacing EBC HHs that came with the SS backing plates with these Galfers that didn't, so I assumed they didn't need them and left them off ... The brakes became noisy and I fixed this by re-fitting the SS backing plates.

For what it's worth I found the Galfers didn't work as well as the HHs they replaced and returned to EBC HH ... I've just fitted a set of EBC HH Extreme Pros and they are even more of an improvement ... it seems the faster/harder you ride the better they work ...Just a bit of advice/trivia that I hope will be useful to someone.

The 1375s are a sintered ceramic mix I think.Says for track and hard street use but I got them cheap, being left over stock.Guess its worth a try.I do like EBC and run them on my dirt bikes.

Yes you need the plates...and if you look closely, they only go on ONE WAY and are NOT interchangeable...you will notice an arrow cut into the plate that denotes the direction....

Let me get a pic I have a spare set.

Here ya go. New still in the package. Note this is the side that touches the pad. Note the arrow circled denotes direction of travel (just like a tire). That means each set only goes on ONE WAY per set....

IMG_1249.jpg

Just looked at mine I didnt see any arrows on the plates or pads.They go on one way and the snap on with clips.

Yep, your are correct, these are GEN II.

Question, are your clips symetrical (the same either way) or assymetrical (as those above)? I submit that the greater amount of metal material is on the direction of travel end because that is where more of the breaking power or opporunity to squeal is at.

Back