Bike is back from the dealer

Unfortunate that someone hacked up a CZ! Below is a cut and paste of the features blurb. For reasons previously state in the thread, the cush drive is a critical component of the drive line. None of the components will take kindly to the direct shock/feedback between the crank and the road. Best of luck sorting this out!

FEATURES:

* Beautiful Updated Star Spoke Design
* Made From 6151-T6 Aluminum/CNC Machined
* Designed for street and race track use
* Super Light Weight 7.4 lbs (front), 13.1 lbs (rear)
* Approved DOT (USA), TUV (Europe) & JWL (Japan)
* 5 Year Warranty
* Wheel Kit includes: Cush Drive, Japanese High Quality Bearings, Spacers and Carriers.

I took it to the Suzuki dealership, they are the main one here, their sales department sucks but the service department has always gotten good feedback. I just called the service manager and he spoke with the tech, he said the tech said that the hub and wheel had no bolts in them. I explained the cush mounting, but he said the tech said that it needed bolts to not come appart. He asked me to bring the bike up there so they can show me what they are talking about.

Um....drilled holes in your stuff to make it work?

When they first said they had never heard of Cz wheels you should have stopped.
Now knowing nothing about them from their own admission they are going to tell you what had to be done to make them right?

I know nothing about rockets but can fix one with a few holes drilled.
Did that make sense? No.

it made sense to me that "something" should be bolted to the wheel, why the hell else would there be holes in them? I called CZ and the guy was a bigger idiot than the mechanic. He had no idea what I was talking about. How is this supposed to attach to the wheel? isn't the other half of the cush drive attached to the wheel?

JGGUNS said:
Another perfect example of why you should buy your own tools and learn how to do basic maintenance yourself. It should have been immediately apparent that if you pay $3500 for CZ wheels that it is very unlikely that they have manufacturing flaws of this magnitude.

Did it ever occur to you to call CZ before you let some loser mechanic go after them with drill and tap?

If your paying $3500 for CZ wheels you are getting ripped off. That's almost BST price range. They only run $2200 give or take.

Either way, if the dealership screwed the wheel up like everybody is thinking, then they should shell out for a new wheel.

Yeah, if you could please post some pics of said repair. Maybe we may have it all interpreted wrong. ???

I can, but you cant really see anything past the rotor. Basically with my elementary mechanical education. The rotor is attached to the hub. and then on the inside of the hub it is bolted to the wheel. It may or may not have a cush drive in it. I will try the best I can to photograph it tho.

Pretty sure the dealer told you right. On my Carrozzeria wheels the crush drive ( or crusdrive mount) is bolted to the wheel. Then the sprocket and crushdrive slides into the wheel like a stock wheel. I'm guessing they do that to make one wheel fit all bikes. Front wheel is the same way...rotor is bolted to a adaptor not directly to the wheel.

Are you talking rotor side ? or sprocket side? 2 different sides, unless we have single sided swingarm.??? Just a pic like this, and please excuse the filth, been riding and haven't cleaned it back up yet. :whistle:

DSCN0684.jpg

Not sure if this pic helps...might make more sense on the rotor side. The rotor (or crushdrive) dosent mount directly to the wheel. Adaptors are used to mount stock parts.

IMG_0596.jpg

Are you talking rotor side ? or sprocket side? 2 different sides, unless we have single sided swingarm.??? Just a pic like this, and please excuse the filth, been riding and haven't cleaned it back up yet. :whistle:

Sprocket side. Basically the holes in the wheel were empty, nothing was attaching anything to the wheel is what they were saying. By my understanding "something" either the cush drive, hub or sprocket must be attached to the wheel right? And I am not sure that re-tapping some holes would effect the structure of the wheel itself.

Ok, I just grab a wheel to explain a little what we are trying to say. I can't quote CZ per say cause my CZ's are on a single sided SA. but 9/10 are set-up same as this one.

Grant it sprocket isn't for wheel evidentally. But sprocket bolts to sprocket carrier/cush drive. Carrier/cush slides into hub of wheel by usually 5-6 points which are dampened by rubbers in hub to absorb initial impact of force from engine to wheel via chain and cushion the transition somewhat and relieve stress on drivetrain.

Nevermind my rambling, it was confusing me. :laugh: Found this, little easier to understand.

A cush drive is a part of a motorcycle drive-train that is designed to reduce stress from engine torque damaging other components during gear or throttle changes. A common design used by Honda, in particular on the VTR 1000F Superhawk is made of three major pieces: the wheel, the sprocket assembly, and the rubber damper. The wheel and the sprocket assembly fit together with five sections much like two hands woven together. In between the contact of the two assembly are rubber blocks. This makes it so the wheel and the sprocket have a dampening layer between them, and the rubber blocks reduce wear and fatigue of the metal assemblies.
When the rubber damper becomes old and hardens, or wears out, the changes in load on the drive chain instigated by changes in throttle position or changing gear can cause snatchiness in the power delivery. Loads particularly on the drive chain can be massively increased in these conditions, increasing the risk of breakage or of contact with the swinging arm resulting in damage. Perhaps more pointedly the sudden transfer of force to the rear tyre can cause momentary loss of traction (lock or spin) resulting in small changes of direction or at worst total loss of control.

DSCN0687.jpg

DSCN0690.jpg

DSCN0688.jpg

DSCN0689.jpg

Ok, I just grab a wheel to explain a little what we are trying to say. I can't quote CZ per say cause my CZ's are on a single sided SA. but 9/10 are set-up same as this one.

Grant it sprocket isn't for wheel evidentally. But sprocket bolts to sprocket carrier/cush drive. Carrier/cush slides into hub of wheel by usually 5-6 points which are dampened by rubbers in hub to absorb initial impact of force from engine to wheel via chain and cushion the transition somewhat and relieve stress on drivetrain.

Nevermind my rambling, it was confusing me. :laugh: Found this, little easier to understand.

Thanks these pics and breakdown help. Now let me ask you... in that first pic if you flipped over that tire, would the drilled holes in the wheel look empty? Or is your cush drive built into the wheel? Mine when he had the bike up on the sled, if you looked through the right side of the wheel the holes were empty.

No holes on these would be empty and I doubt there should be on your either. Cause really why would there be empty holes in the hub taking away from it's strength.???

Here, once sprocket is bolted on outer holes are filled. Same on rotor side. Now the holes you see on the hub next to spokes actually have bolts in them that hold the left & right hub pieces to the actual wheel sandwiching the wheel between 2 hub halves.

Hopefully this helps you out.

DSCN0697.jpg

DSCN0698.jpg

DSCN0700.jpg

DSCN0701.jpg

Wish I had CZ off to explain better ??? just gotta wheel & deal with whats at hand.:laugh:
you are doing an awesome job sir and I thank you! :) Yea I think that is the issue is that on mine the holes in the wheel were empty, they insisted there should be bolts in them, I take suzuki mechanics word over mine anytime lol.

Man, im sorry but some saw you coming here!

Suks that they put the screws to you, but, really, next time find some one that knows something!

Ron didn't you buy the bike from a member here?
Maybe he can shed some light on this?

yea I bought it from Sonny, and I KNOW he knows his stuff, which is why I was shocked when they said "they thought" something was wrong. I was telling them at first I doubted something was missing, but after they insisted i caved :(

Back