All Painted

RussellJ

Rick Rollin'
Registered
So painting went well today. Had a hiccup with the bondo on the left fairing so the one guy who mentioned about the bondo, was right. I had to do a little sanding work as i sprayed it but it came out good. I cant wait to get them on the bike in a few weeks and get it in the sun.

The dash panels did not go so well. They need more TLC and sanding time. Werent quite as smooth as they need to be.

I used about a quart of basecoat (mixed 2:1 with reducer), a half pint of primer/sealer, and exactly a pint of clear (mixed 4:1 with hardener) on it. So I still have about a pint of basecoat, a quart of clear, and a ton of reducer and hardener left.

Total cost for this entire project from start to finish: $290

IMAG0405.jpg

IMAG0406.jpg

IMAG0407.jpg

IMAG0408.jpg

IMAG0409.jpg

IMAG0410.jpg

IMAG0411.jpg

IMAG0418.jpg

IMAG0415.jpg

IMAG0419.jpg

Looks good. Post up some pics when you get it assembled.

How many coats of clear did you put on? One pint to clear all those parts seems a bit low.

Looks good. Post up some pics when you get it assembled.

How many coats of clear did you put on? One pint to clear all those parts seems a bit low.

Two thick coats. I had some time restraints but I put the two coats on reallyyy thick. Probly equivalent to at least 3 normal coats.

Dayum those looks slick! Nice job Sir:thumbsup:

From my dunce stool :cookoo:

Thank you! :beerchug:

cant wait to see it on the bike... makes me excited to do mine in a month or so... gahhh so much work to do to her still

Sweet......:bowdown:
Now, lets try to keep it out of the ditch of the dragon... :laugh:
I spoke to my painter last week about mine. I'm just waiting on my bonus check, second week in march.:thumbsup:

Looks good Russel, but I'm with Dennis on this about the clear. A pint is nothing when it comes to covering that much material, cause even at a 4:1 ratio that's still only a little more than 1/2 qt. If you did do it that's unbelievable.

Not saying you didn't(but I sure don't how you did it) cause I know when I spray a full set I can get by with a qt of base color but when it comes to clear I usually use a 2 part urethane which is also a 4:1 ratio clear/hardner and I never get by with less than 1 1/2-2 qts clear. And that's only laying 2 good wet coats mainly because I repaint so often I don't use a much as I would if it were gonna be a paint I was planning on keeping for a while. You just gotta remember your base coat gives you the color you want but the top coat/clear is where your getting your shine and protection from, and if you intend on rubbing it out and buffing it to a high gloss baby butt smooth finish the clear is what your gonna be cutting away. And if there isn't enough there you will easily eat into the base coat and end up with flat/dull(no shine) spots, and the only way to fix that would be scuff and reclear whole piece as long as you didn't cut into color.

But as long as you remember there will always be people like us questioning it. Main thing is if you are happy with it that's all that matters, now get it back together. :laugh:

how much paint you end up using?? looks great!:thumbsup:

I put it up there! :beerchug:

Looks good Russel, but I'm with Dennis on this about the clear. A pint is nothing when it comes to covering that much material, cause even at a 4:1 ratio that's still only a little more than 1/2 qt. If you did do it that's unbelievable.

Not saying you didn't(but I sure don't how you did it) cause I know when I spray a full set I can get by with a qt of base color but when it comes to clear I usually use a 2 part urethane which is also a 4:1 ratio clear/hardner and I never get by with less than 1 1/2-2 qts clear. And that's only laying 2 good wet coats mainly because I repaint so often I don't use a much as I would if it were gonna be a paint I was planning on keeping for a while. You just gotta remember your base coat gives you the color you want but the top coat/clear is where your getting your shine and protection from, and if you intend on rubbing it out and buffing it to a high gloss baby butt smooth finish the clear is what your gonna be cutting away. And if there isn't enough there you will easily eat into the base coat and end up with flat/dull(no shine) spots, and the only way to fix that would be scuff and reclear whole piece as long as you didn't cut into color.

But as long as you remember there will always be people like us questioning it. Main thing is if you are happy with it that's all that matters, now get it back together. :laugh:

I used one little pint. I mixed it all so i know. It was a pint of clear plus the hardener at 4:1 so idk how much that comes out to be. I did it and it came out good. There was a ton of clear on there. I sprayed and mixed it all myself so I know how much i used :laugh:. Idk I will look at the container wednesday. It was a little can. I don't think it was a quart? 40oz is how much it was after mixing 4:1. Ok yeah I just googled it. It was a quart :laugh: Oops. See how much I know about size of cans :rofl: first time using a sprayer and painting anything other than rattle cans

Looks good from what I can see!

BTW this is not 12 inches ----> |---------------------------| :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Back