Ooof- china humps from ebay

blusmbl

Registered
I wanted a hump for my gen 1, the used ones I kept finding were scuffed, needed paint, etc. Found some chinese knockoffs on ebay, and figured for $50 it was worth a shot. How bad could they be, right?

Well, I was surprised, in a bad way. :moon: The quality is terrible. It's honestly 1/2" too short, it doesn't even cover the leading edge of the cowl area. The paint is terrible, too. If it fit okay otherwise I'd just respray it, but it's well beyond fixable. It's off in multiple dimensions.

Anybody thinking about buying one... don't. :laugh:

-Nick

I but the used scuffed ones all the time, very easy to repair yourself and if you have a friend who paints them for a six pack or two you save money.

I'll post one tomorrow, too lazy to go out to the unheated garage again. Trust me, it's bad. I'm not a perfectionist by any means, but it's unacceptable.

I'm kicking myself for passing up on several used ones, now. lol

You'd be suprised at what a little elbow grease and some glazing compound will do to a scuff, most will buff right out.

4294591489_7b1dbdaa3c.jpg

4294593615_ceb05bd915.jpg

4294596775_a6cefedd82.jpg

It does fit flush in the back. My good camera is getting shipped back in a truck from Arizona, so iphone pics will have to do. :D

I would just write it off as a loss and go oem. That gap will be brutal when you wash it.
Posted via Mobile Device

One of my friends bought a case cover from china for $50. Like your hump, it was awful!

Of late, I look at most everything I buy and if it says made in China, I put it back on the shelf and move on. Just yesterday I was shopping at Costco looking for doggie treats. I found both their rawhide bones and bacon strips were "Made in China"! No Thank You!

Ebay needs ( and they might have, I don't know ) a search filter that removes listings with product location: hong kong, it's hard to look through 5,000 listings to find what I want.

I'll chalk it up to a $50 mistake and move on, not the end of the world. I've had pretty good luck with some of the chinese repo parts for the musclecars I've had (mostly because nobody was making specific parts for the '68 Charger I owned at the time), and they were fine. Figured this was worth a shot. It's terrible on the bike though, I'll probably cut the base out and use it as a large beer mug or cereal bowl or something. :laugh:

It's terrible on the bike though, I'll probably cut the base out and use it as a large beer mug or cereal bowl or something. :laugh:

I'm sure it's also tainted with lead just like their baby toys. :rofl:

I'm surprised someone hasn't chimed with the old "a professional can massage and tweak it to look perfect". :poke:

Oh man I wish I would have seen this thread earlier. I really wanted to run a cowl with the handle but didnt want to mess up my stock one so I just unpacked one of these that I ordered over a month ago. The paint is a little sloppy in one place. I can live with this. The sticker is a little off center, I can live with this too. The hardware the dude screwed it together with is junk but I can live with this too. If it doesnt fit right though I will be pissed off.

IMG_6169.jpg

IMG_6172.jpg

IMG_6176.jpg

IMG_6170.jpg

IMG_6175.jpg

IMG_6167.jpg

IMG_6171.jpg

I purchased one for my 600 Gixxer, the stuff that the hardware bolts to was glued to the plastic, it broke off right away. Complained, they sent me a second one, same thing, this one was already broken in the package. Complained, they sent me a 3rd one, also broken in the package. I just gave up, threw them in the trash.

Anything from China, without skilled supervision (Americans :laugh:) is a disaster.

Back