Need help?

Sport front and sport touring rear work great on the busa, and tend to wear evenly front to back.
Dunlop Q2 front and a Dunlop Roadsmart rear. The front sticks and the rear still sticks good and lasts a little longer.
Where's TufBusa to explain?

depends on what your budget is.. ive ran shinko's and now have Michelin pilot power 2ct and both seem to do pretty good job. shinko's will be on the less expensive side.

:kissass:

You and everyone else here that are always hatin' on the old man can keep thinking that.
He is a TRACK COACH. You don't get that job without knowing a little something.
He answers questions here for free, and has been nice enough to carry on a lengthy phone conversation with me to help get the bugs out of my suspension. And guess what...it worked.
The tire combo he recommended I mentioned above, well that works too.
You have PAY for this kind of advice most everywhere else!
If it's not working for folks here, then they simply are not riding at that level.

Although I've never been on a track I can hang with the local track guys on the street. Years ago on my 02 gsxr1000 I was really happy at how much I'de improved and I was up front with the best better than me riders I could find(you can't really improve if you're the fastest guy in the pack).
I was knee to knee doin it! I was then passed by a BMW dual sport like I it was nothing, I don't even know where he came from. After I caught up to him at the store he thanked us kindly for letting him ride with us!:rofl: After removing his helmet and reveiling his headful of grayish white hair!
I laughed and thanked him for hurting my feelings...badly. I was fortunate to ride more with him that day, and on one other occasion. And got several pointers.
Moral of the story, listen to these old guys, some of them know a thing or two.:beerchug:

thanx for the info, no budget just want a good tire that will last. pretty new rider so i can use all the truth and wisdom i can get.:bowdown:

and another question...do they have to be "Z" rated?

They don't HAVE to be, but you have a high performance bike. You want a high performance tire. If you aren't an agressive rider the tires will just last that much longer. You want a quality tire that sticks to the road, as the tires are the only thing between you and the road.
Put cheapo tires on(especially the front)and you're just increasing your chances to have a crash. Because they will not perform as well when it really counts.

You'll get countless opinions on tires too.:beerchug:

If you don't ride hard and don't drag or road race randomly, get something in a hard compound that will last you awhile. No sense wasting money on medium-soft sticky tires if you're chicken strips are five inches on each side.

Oh yeah, I'm not recommending going cheap. I just suggested a tire that would get him higher mileage vs. what most hayabusa/sportbike owners get: a sticky shinko or pilot one for the drag stip or a 2ct, diablo supercorsa, or something with softer edges for corners. If he isn't doing either, might as well get some mileage out of a set of tires.

Sport front and sport touring rear work great on the busa, and tend to wear evenly front to back.
Dunlop Q2 front and a Dunlop Roadsmart rear. The front sticks and the rear still sticks good and lasts a little longer.
Where's TufBusa to explain?

i do basically the same thing with a Pirelli Corsa III front and Pirelli Angel rear :beerchug:

IMO, i've tried ALOT of tires and have had best all around performance from BTO21's. Stay away from Dunlops and Maxxis, they flat SUCK!!! They wear out to fast and grease to easy. Shinko makes a good tire, solid grip, but burn up quick due to sticky grip. Michelin's, WAY OVERPRICED!!! I was never a Bridgestone fan until I tried the 21's, good longevity in center tread and great cornering due to triple compound

Acutally, if you are a Bridgestone fan, the BT016 on the front (compares to Q2) and a BT023 Rear (compares to Dunlop Roadsmart) is also a good choice. Depending on the price I could buy for, I'd get either (normally much cheaper than Michelins). But I've got a lot of trackdays that say Q2's DO NOT suck....

I think the point that Tuf would make is, whatever brand you choose, don't sacrifice grip for tire wear in the front...

And, I know Yankee was only doing the :kissass:to :stirpot: in jest.

To the OP: the SEARCH function can be your best friend. You will find hundreds of threads over the same question :thumbsup:

Dunlops suck? From what aspect?

IMO, i've tried ALOT of tires and have had best all around performance from BTO21's. Stay away from Dunlops and Maxxis, they flat SUCK!!! They wear out to fast and grease to easy. Shinko makes a good tire, solid grip, but burn up quick due to sticky grip. Michelin's, WAY OVERPRICED!!! I was never a Bridgestone fan until I tried the 21's, good longevity in center tread and great cornering due to triple compound

The 180 at Barber, with my crappy body position I'm near rubbing the frame sliders on Q2s. They are a fantastic performance tire.

Photo1-2.jpg

If you don't ride hard and don't drag or road race randomly, get something in a hard compound that will last you awhile. No sense wasting money on medium-soft sticky tires if you're chicken strips are five inches on each side.

That's not necessarily true. The front tire is the control point for your motorcycle. Most every steering and braking input has something to do with the front tire. Although a true touring tire will last a long time, it does give up grip in order to do so. Even the beginner riders can bennifit from the additional grip of a sport tire especially in panic situations. Emergency braking is where most novice riders get into trouble and there are times when a nice warm sticky front tire will save a crash.

I'd have to disagree with you on the dunlops as well. Dunlops are made here (Not every dunlop) in the usa and are my favorite tire both street and track at the moment.

If you are a bridgestone fan (I am too) you may want to look into the BT023 which is an upgrade in both carcass and tread from the BT021. The BT023 has receive great reviews. Both the BT021 and 23 have dual compound rears but single compound fronts. :thumbsup:

I currently have a BT016 front and BT023 rear on my busa! Works pretty dang well and the front lasts as long as the rear with better grip for braking and lateral grip.

From the aspect that i've seen too many people go down on Dunlops cuz they grease up to easy. And I actually misspoke earlier on the BTO's.....I meant the 16's
Dunlops suck? From what aspect?

The 180 at Barber, with my crappy body position I'm near rubbing the frame sliders on Q2s. They are a fantastic performance tire.

Photo1-2.jpg

Back