What's makes the hayabusa so much heavier?

DragginBusa

Registered
Ok so I am looking around online to look at weight specs (unfortunately there really isn't a thing I have come across) to see why the hayabusa is so much heavier than say the 1k's. I know the head is bigger but I would find it hard to believe that a slightly larger engine would account for the extra over 100lbs difference on the bike. I Would imagine that there are a few more lbs on the frame to account for the extra power but 1k's are no slouches either. I want to put my girl on a bit of a diet especially since I am 240lbs and 6'6". I know the exhaust weighs a ton so I know that is going to go at some point and I def don't have the money to do the carbon fiber wheels (which are so sweet though) but I am trying to come up with some ways to slim her down in weight and maybe make a bit more narrow too.

Suggestions and info is much appreciated. Thanks.

frame is much heavier stronger and longer, bigger heavier engine, heavier wheels, heavier exhaust, heavier tank, heavier bodywork. thats probably a 100 lbs there. with the gyroscopic effects id say wheels would make a huge difference. also the rotating mass would help considerably. obviously changing exhaust as well. u could put a lower narrower tank on there from catalyst but if u crash it might be bad cause it might puncture.

frame is much heavier stronger and longer, bigger heavier engine, heavier wheels, heavier exhaust, heavier tank, heavier bodywork. thats probably a 100 lbs there. with the gyroscopic effects id say wheels would make a huge difference. also the rotating mass would help considerably. obviously changing exhaust as well. u could put a lower narrower tank on there from catalyst but if u crash it might be bad cause it might puncture.

I do understand the huge benefit of doing the wheels but just can't do it at this point. Exhaust yes, just want to see what other options there are is all. Tank might not be a bad idea but like you said I need to worry about puncture issues. I want to try and narrow her down a bit too if possible anyone try to do something like that? Figure if I could narrow it down a bit and make it lighter it would be a little more interesting going through the twisties and track days :D.

Does anybody know the weight of the 1300cc crank / rotating assembly vs a 1000?

You cannot make the bike any more narrow.
The engine is as wide as it is, and there is no changing that.
The right side sits out further than the left too.
The Busa and 1000's are simply two different machines.

I like heavy, provided I'm not on the track. Sit on a 1k bike at 180mph and then sit on a Busa at 180mph, heavy has it's advantages.

I always say if I kill myself someday, it will be on my little Gixxer.

I hit a 90lb deer on my Harley at 55mph, two-up, killed the deer, kept the bike up and it cost me $65 to repair the Harley. At least a Harley is good for something I guess, but it was the weight that saved my butt.

Looks like big diet needs to take place. Reasonable Suggestions? I mentioned before that the bst carbon wheels are out although they would make a massive difference (probably more than any other mod) but the cost is just too great (unless someone just wants to give me a set of them lol). Thinking about doing a custom
Lightweight exhaust system that will keep the exhaust to a narrow profile but want other suggestions as well.

Thanks.

I like heavy, provided I'm not on the track. Sit on a 1k bike at 180mph and then sit on a Busa at 180mph, heavy has it's advantages.

I hit a 90lb deer on my Harley at 55mph, two-up, killed the deer, kept the bike up and it cost me $65 to repair the Harley. At least a Harley is good for something I guess, but it was the weight that saved my butt.

I agree but being that I am heavier than all my friends (except one lol), but don't get it wrong I'm not fat I'm actually in good shape and very into lifting, it would just be nice to lighten the load of the bike itself a bit. I can toss the bike around too (actually most people are impressed I can move it around like i do) but there is always room for improvement.

You see Harley do provide benefits...deer killing lol. Also, only $65 you must have only damaged the actual lightbulb as nothing on a Harley is that cheap lol.

Gen 2, Akrapovic 4-2-1, stainless steel is 12.25 lbs. Stock is 47.46 lbs.

There are ways to lower the weight, exhaust, wheels, rear sub frame was originally aluminum instead of steel, they switched it to steel for some strange reason :whistle: :laugh: You can still buy the aluminum one, if you don't carry passengers.

Keep in mind though the Litre bike is their high-performance track intended flag ship, light weight, big horsepower and balance an agility for cornering is what engineers of the big four focus on when designing bikes in that class. The 750 also but the other 3 companies gave up trying to beat Suzuki :poke: :rofl:

Liter bikes are designed for track performance in a streetable (ish) package. They use every trick in the engineering book to reduce weight on them. The big bore bikes (busa, 14) are designed to be fast and comfortable, with little or no regard to weight savings. You want a light bike? Buy a 1k. You want your big bore to be more responsive? Put it on a diet (look around here, there are threads on it) or add power. The busa is a very versatile bike, it can be made into whatever type of bike you want it to be, but in stock factory trim there are far better options for carving twisties or track days.

Liter bikes are designed for track performance in a streetable (ish) package. They use every trick in the engineering book to reduce weight on them. The big bore bikes (busa, 14) are designed to be fast and comfortable, with little or no regard to weight savings. You want a light bike? Buy a 1k. You want your big bore to be more responsive? Put it on a diet (look around here, there are threads on it) or add power. The busa is a very versatile bike, it can be made into whatever type of bike you want it to be, but in stock factory trim there are far better options for carving twisties or track days.

Agreed I love my lady and love the twisties and want to get her on the track this year as well. Don't mind adding hp but more hp and less weight is even better.

Thanks.

And I will buy a liter bike in the future for just me and not concerning my wife :D thinking maybe an mv! :D

You can spend an idiotic amount of money and lose four pounds with an aluminum tank like I did. [
finishedtank013.jpg
Cheers Ken

Back