slipping the clutch?

stonedpirate

Registered
hello,

is slipping the clutch absolutely neccasary when doing u turns on a busa?

Could it be argued that the 1350cc engine generates enough centrifugal force at idle and revving the engine at slow speeds creates another hazard?

Or is that bs?

Need to settle this argument once and for all :)

thanks

I think it is more throttle control more than slipping the clutch. I had never used slipping the clutch on my bike street riding.

Don't quite understand what your getting at here, but.. Unless you can carry enough speed to whip the complete u-turn with the clutch pulled in, then yeah, your going to have to slip it a bit. If your meaning doing the u-turn completely without pulling in the clutch, good luck. If you kill it in the middle of the turn, your going on your side. As for revving the motor in the middle of the u-turn with the clutch pulled in, we're talking about 2000-2500rpm at the most, no, it's not going to upset anything.

"Slipping the clutch", or riding it out, which is having the clutch partially engaged while under throttle is only wear and tear on the clutch. It is only really useful for wheelies and hard launches.
I can do a u-turn under throttle, with no throttle, or coasting with the clutch pulled in/disengaged(depending on speed).
Slipping the clutch during a u-turn would only be a bad habit.
You could stay on the rev limiter with the clutch in or neutral while turning (or any other time) and it won't affect the handling at all.
I've never heard this arguement before either.

And it's a 1340cc(gen2):poke::laugh:

well, i failed the motorbike test twice because the assessor claimed i was using no clutch in u turns. It is required by law according to him

Another item on mention would be the given area to do the u-turn. On a wide road with some sort of a shoulder on both sides, u-turns can be done easy enough, coasting or under throttle. On a narrow, highly crowned 2 lane, with nothing but dirt and rocks at the edge of the pavement, where the complete u-turn is done at full steering lock, it can be a bit different.
To each his own on their method of getting the job done in a given circumstance. Takes me a bump of the clutch once or twice in the middle of the turn to get it done on the roads here though. Trying to do one on a bike as long as a Busa (either Gen), without pulling the clutch in at all, will most certainly result in tears and a funny YouTube video.:laugh:

I'm with Tom on the technique. In a 20 ft box, I go in with the cluch pulled in and slightly bump it a couple of times through the turn as necessary.

well, i failed the motorbike test twice because the assessor claimed i was using no clutch in u turns. It is required by law according to him

What state?
As long as you are able to complete the turn that should be all that matters, technique should be up to the individual.
If that's the case I'de say the instructor is an idiot.

I would thing the problem trying to make the turn in gear with no clutch is that the bike is going to bottom out at a certain speed, and then unexpectedly 'jump' as the idle kicks in. Without using the clutch the bike is in control of when it's gonna 'jump', not the rider...which may be the reason for the 'fail'. Tom/BW's method means the rider is in control all the way thru the turn. The busa has a pretty wide u-turn radius, wider than some city streets.

It's the rider's skill level that determines the control through the turn.
If you can throttle, idle, or coast with the clutch pulled through a turn...then you've made the turn.
I also said speed affects this. You pull in the clutch only if you NEED to, hence you are still in control.
Someone please tell Casey Stoner that hanging his leg out in high speed turns is wrong(strange as it looks), and that he'll never win a race like that.
That make sense to anyone? To each their own.:beerchug:

A little clutch, a little throttle, a little rear brake, and a lot of balls, you can make the Busa U-turn on a dime. It takes practice and feels real cool when it works. Anyone can go 150 mph, but can you turn around in a tight parking lot? :thumbsup:

:poke: do you think we slipped the clutch on this 360?

0811111740.jpg

Your instructor is absolutely correct about slipping the clutch to tighten the turn. I've never heard of a law requiring it but it's the only safe way to do tight u-turns. The engine rpm should be held at a constant speed of 2000-2500 rpm, drag the rear brake slightly and adust the speed with the use of the clutch.

Ask me how I know this: Our very own GregBob does this parking lot stunt riding better than any police officer alive and I've been taking lessons. It's harder than it looks. I also have a female friend who teaches the MSF course on her busa and part of the requirement for her instructors permit was to make u-turns in a 20 ft box without taking her feet off the pegs. It took her all summer one year to master that chore with her busa.

Set the throttle, drag the rear brake and adjust speed with the clutch. If you have doubts, draw yourself out a 20 ft box and give it a try at idle or coasting without slipping the clutch. Just be sure to call justin before you begin and price new plastics. And, set up a video camera so we can all watch! :thumbsup:

thanks all

have went 11 weeks with no licence because of a minor technicality

i completed the u turn perfectly on the test, head up, looked where i was going, indicated etc etc but fail with no clutch

i hate that instructor :p

I'm all for a touch extra power...draging the rear brake and slipping the clutch as needed...only at slow speeds...the trail braking at speed could bite back

Lot of different interpretations of "slipping the clutch" but I think clutch control, throttle control and braking all work together to control the power of the engine. Hundreds of ways to skin the same cat - albeit some are better than others. As far as U-turns, a riding thought I use is that u-turns are really 2 sharp lefts or rights. I looks like one smooth u-turn but allows you to break it to 2 smaller easier mental pieces. Just try it - I promise it makes it easy.

I don't think anyone ever taught me this... it just something that eventually dawns on you! I taught my wife this for her MSF course and she absolutely aced figure eights.

A little clutch, a little throttle, a little rear brake, and a lot of balls, you can make the Busa U-turn on a dime. It takes practice and feels real cool when it works. Anyone can go 150 mph, but can you turn around in a tight parking lot? :thumbsup:

+ 1 on all the above

the term i would use would be playing the clutch rather than slipping it .

Back