Seacoast New England to Cape Breton, Nova Scotia

Chris08Bus

Registered
My father, two friends and I embarked on a two thousand mile ride on August 29 from the seacoast New England area with our sights set on Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, and the Cabot Trail, no less. We chased Tropical Storm Irene up the coast; the storm scrubbing the weather pattern, leaving us nothing but blue skies and 70-degree temperatures for six straight days of riding.

This ride has been three years in the making. I planned it as my new year's resolution in 2008. This year just happened to be the year that everyone could make it happen.

As we travelled north, we camped in Bar Harbor, stayed a night in Moncton, New Brunswick, and then finally made it to our ultimate digs, Ken MacLean's (kml) front yard!

Ken showed me and my crew incredible hospitality. I mean, this guy had four open beers as we dismounted from our machines after racking up 850 miles just to get to Cape Breton. As if the beers and the campsite with the view just wasn't enough, Ken, being the highly trained chef that he is cooked us up an incredible steak dinner. For dessert, we had cigars and some Knob Creek bourbon which really hit the spot.

The next day, Ken took us on a tour of his island, much of our time being spent on the Cabot Trail. We stopped frequently for pictures, and most just to let the others catch up with Ken and I. The other guys, being on a Honda VFR, Concours 14, and my pops on a brand new Vulcan Vaquero 1700 he bought just for the trip.

The Cabot Trail was incredible. I felt an incredible sense of atonement, something I've never felt with my bike before. What a beautiful part of the world with fringe benefits of incredibly friendly and hospitable people.

With much joy and bittersweetness, we departed home, leaving the way we came. All in total, I put 1947 miles on my machine, loaded down with about 50 - 60 pounds of tent, tools and supplies. The bike ran perfectly on her Metzeler M5's and Canadian ethanol-free fuel. I'm sure my Busa enjoyed that as much as I did.

Ken, thank you again for your hospitality. Riding your native holy ground we know as the Cabot Trail was an experience I will never forget. Let's do it again!

SAM_0182.jpg

SAM_0192.jpg

SAM_0197.jpg

SAM_0212.jpg

SAM_0218.jpg

SAM_0227.jpg

SAM_0232.jpg

SAM_0243.jpg

SAM_0259.jpg

SAM_0264.jpg

Congrats-awesome trip,one that is on my list!
From what I have read, that weather is unheard of over that big a time period-NICE planning! Luck helps too I suppose!
....We do need more scenic pics though.

Awesome! What a cool trip and killer destination! I want to visit Ken and sample his cooking!
Thanks for sharing!

I had a great time and ride! It was nice to trade bikes too, nobody else has ridden mine. :) When I'm down your way I'll look you up.

cheers
ken

Careful! I hear Canadian's melt in SW Florida!:laugh:

It's true we do! I figure I'll be OK as I have YEARS of pratice in the heat, standing next to a salamander going full bore, impervious to splatter from the fryer, wedged into a tight line with three other sweaty jackazzes on a hot summer's day in a kitchen with no ventalation.

YOU know what I'm talking about Cheferman...

:D :D :D

cheers
ken

Amazing. This was the one trip I planned & never made. Still regret it 15 years later.

Well done! Props to Ken & is that your front yard with that view? Wow!

Back