Org Hoons return from Sturgis. (pic and fun heavy!)

Ok when last we checked up an our brave Hayabusa heros :superman:; they had enjoyed a good nights rest, scrubbed the fuzz off their teeth, had a darn good free cup of coffee, and were headed back to Sturgis.
??? “Why would they do that?” You might ask?? :poke: Well read on, and find out.

Some Good Coffee in our bellies we were ready for adventure. We rode out of the campground and headed back in towards Sturgis. I wanted to take Paul to the Full Throttle Saloon and in to the International Bike Build Off World Championship in town.
A trip out to Sturgis is just not complete without stopping at the most radical bar I have ever seen. :bowdown:
They have a Bridge, a full size freakin bridge. Zip lines, burnout pit, signs, cars and tricks turned into bars. This place Is really neat. :cheerleader:

There wasn’t much goin on at the Full Throttle, so we headed into town and the stop and go traffic.

We finally made it to the build off tent. Parked crammed into a space, and went in to look around.
The build off had ended yesterday at 4pm! :banghead: Bummer. But there were still a few bikes still waiting to get picked up. The Hog folks were setting up for a bike show so we left and checked out a few vendors including the Jack Daniel’s trailer. It had A/C!

When we got back to the bikes, Bessie wouldn’t start!:pullhair: Had to push her to get her going.

It didn’t take long for us to get our fill of the madness. We did our best to work our way toward the interstate but Bessie began to overheat! I tried to run up and down a few side streets, that helped a bit, but when we pulled into a gas station she dies again and it took a bit to get her going.
She did not like the stop and go in high 90deg heat! maybe it's time for a dual fan.:whistle:

Enough of that town til next year!
Onto Rapid City we go.
It felt good to get up to speed and the rain felt nice as it sprinkled on us and we rode.
I wanted to go to the Harley shop there to work on a trade.

Im wanting to trade a bike out of my collection for something I can ride. I have a 91 Dyna Sturgis edition #67 6500mi, unrestored, beautiful.
I’d like to trade it for a road glide.
Well they seem very interested and I got their info.

We checked out the roach coaches there at the dealership and decided to find something better.

We rode through the rain into town looking for a burger. And we found it at Shooters! Just what I was looking for. Paul had the Sapranno burger. Me, well I don’t even know why I even look at the menu anymore. The bacon cheese burger was great. Nice bun, fresh veggies, fat fries! Mmmm good!

Our hunger suppressed, we headed down the road.
And after some searching we found our way to Keystone. (I never really did use a map on this trip.)

Once in Keystone, there is only one place to go. Mt. Rushmore!
:bowdown:Rushmore is awesomely patriotic awe inspiring place :usa:. We checked out the museum, watched the video, wondered around the place and snapped some photos.

Next up, Iron Mountain Road and Custer.

DSC00888.jpg

DSC00884.jpg

DSC00882.jpg

DSC00873.jpg

DSC00871.jpg

DSC00868.jpg

DSC00870.jpg

DSC00874.jpg

DSC00876.jpg

0811111055a.jpg

0811111056c.jpg

DSC00877.jpg

DSC00880.jpg

DSC00885.jpg

DSC00886.jpg

Lol going through that campground at 11:30 looking for a camping spot was entertaining. Russ mentioned us riding in and around tents. We also rode halfway into a zoned off flood plane with grass up past the axles and the bikes slowly sinking into the soft soaked ground. We was four wheeling on the Busas and they handled it like a beast. The "hill climb" was hilarious.. i was behind Russ and as he slowly started up that hill i stopped and thought "is he really doing that...oh $%^! he is" I got up a bit more speed on the that hill and we both made it w/o issues. We really should have gone back and and got a picture of that hill.

We did hit up the Dungeon bar on main st and vandalized their tables with some Hayabusa.org tags. Some nice lookin ladies roaming about and entertaining people flaunting. Cool old guy cruising main street on his Ultra blasting his radio with "Rockin Robin" wearing a pair of those 80s shades that are just plastic slits instead of lenses. Lol that guys was great.

It was great to get a good beer and some sleep that night for sure.

As for the next day, man was that coffee good for free stuff. And it was nice having some shower areas to get cleaned off and what not. First time i have camped in years and years. That girl in the band was incredibly energetic and bouncing all over the stage.

That stop and go traffic was the worst part of the trip to Sturgis. Though we did go at 10:30 right when everyone else was heading into town. The FullThrottle saloon was fantastic and i bet it was rocking at night, by far the most interesting bar i have ever been in. When we finally made it out of the traffic and pushed started Bessie a few times life was good cruising along the hwy and getting cooled off.

Man that Burger from Shooters was excellent, Burger on focaccia bread topped with salami and pepperoni and swiss with some kindof sauce... mmmmmmm.

Mt. Rushmore was an amazing place to visit. I went once as a kid but it was much more inspiring as an adult, i highly highly recommend folks get there to see it once in their lifetime.

And then there were the roads... amazing roads made for riding your motorcycle.. amazing and beautiful.

thanks for sharing your trip...love to see and read these road trips....get your cholesterol/hdl checked when u get home:laugh:

We were four wheeling on the Busas and they handled it like a beast. The "hill climb" was hilarious.. i was behind Russ and as he slowly started up that hill i stopped and thought "is he really doing that...oh $%^! he is" I got up a bit more speed on the that hill and we both made it w/o issues. We really should have gone back and and got a picture of that hill.

We did hit up the Dungeon bar on main st and vandalized their tables with some Hayabusa.org tags.

:thumbsup: no fear! :laugh: i guess it was quite the ADV ride to find a spot to camp. :whistle:

darnt i forgot to post the dungeon bar pics!
oh well, here they are :thumbsup:

DSC00826.jpg

DSC00827.jpg

Nice , Last year was a blast . Did you go to full Throtle when there was people there ? It looks empty in those pics . I had to pull in and do a burnout too . Crowd goes wild , they didnt have the cages open unless you wanted to blow a tire . My buddy didn't get very good shots of my burnout . I was mad cause when I got done I had rubber all over the bike and my back .

2010 Sturgis (4).jpg

sorry i was out for a day with allergies. me eyes matted shut. :down:
anyway, 1/2 a case of binydril later....anyway, let's finish this trip up so i can start planning the next one!

the Full Throttle was pretty empty when we went through.

:poke: but where was i?

Oh yea Brothers and Sisters, we were headed tward the most awesome road i know of. Iron Mountain Road! :cheerleader:

this road has 3 pigtail bridges and 2 tunnels as well as all of it being nice and twisty. there's sharp turns, there's long sweeping turns. :bowdown:

We began by riding up to the 1st tunnel. then back down to the 1st bridge and back up again. :cheerleader: went through 1 pigtail with a fingertip on the ground. ground off my boot toes too.

the only gripe i have is the slow Harleys going 15-20mph in a 45mph zone. we followed them for like 40 min. Stopping 2 or 3 times to let them get ahead (and for me to smoke). finally i had enough! they were hitting the brakes at 15mph to slow down for corners. these same corner i was gliding around w/o my hands on the bars! the silly chick in back almost ran off the road rubbernecking. i was done! we found a place where both of us could pass safely and well :whistle: double yellow or not. we were down the road.....right into a bufflao jam.

i noticed a buff eying me as i passed! OH NO NOT AGAIN!! :shocked: he stomped the ground and the chase was on! he chased me about 50yds before he gave up!
i was in a lower gear so i had to slip the clutch to get away! :handball: Think Fast!
i guess Bessie hasn't lost her touch!:rofl:

down the road there was a park ranger using a bull whip to get some buffalo off the road. that was kinda neat, watchin him pop that whip. :thumbsup:

havin our fill of buffalo we whicked it up and enjoyed the roads into Custer.

we stopped at the road that goes into the Needles and they wanted $10 to go ride that road.
yea, lets go into Custer and buy a beer instead.

we stopped at a cool bar in Custer and had a cold one. by this time we were in dire need of a beerst as we had been riding all day.

DSC00940.jpg

DSC00941.jpg

0811111725.jpg

DSC00943.jpg

DSC00944.jpg

DSC00948.jpg

0811111739a.jpg

DSC00950.jpg

DSC00954.jpg

DSC00953.jpg

0811111741.jpg

0811111738.jpg

0811111738a.jpg

0811111738b.jpg

0811111738c.jpg

0811111739.jpg

DSC00952.jpg

0811111740a.jpg

DSC00955.jpg

DSC00957.jpg

after a short rest it was a nice squiggly road into Newcastle Wyo., lots of long sweepers. We found a friendly bear beckoning us to come eat a burger. so we stopped and ate. i even found an old friend in the bar there. :beerchug: who woulda guessed. :laugh:

it was a long fast haul back to Casper.
we filled up at the pit stop there in Newcastle with a large faction of the Galloping Goose MC.
noticeing that every HP for 200mi were all over the MC at the Pump, once we got out of town. :whistle::race:
we rode about 100 for 100mi.
i got chilly and stopped at Big Thunder coal mine to gear up some more and down the road we go!
we stopped in Wright trying to get gas but they were closed! WHY? i donno. but im glad we had enough to go onto Edgerton/Midwest.
it didn't take long to get there either. that night, we owned that road! maybe a hand full of cars for over 200mi.:cheerleader:

i slowed down to 20 over from midwest to I-25. i had to slow down to count the deer under the almost full moon. i counted around 50! (i know where im gonna get a tag this fall!)

we sat at teapot gas station for so long with my light on we had to push the bike again! :banghead: what a pain in the butt. oops, maybe i need a new battery too.

a short Interstate burn, and we were back at my place. :cheerleader::bowdown:
it was late.
we were tired.
i was glad to be home. :beerchug:
the next morning, after some key searching, Gpmo= Paul got headed twards home.
i was happy to host him and i hope i did a good job.

:poke: how about it Buddy, did you have fun? lets hear your 2 cents.

DSC00959.jpg

DSC00960.jpg

0811112036.jpg

0811112035a.jpg

0811112036a.jpg

0811112036c.jpg

DSC00962.jpg

DSC00964.jpg

DSC00965.jpg

DSC00966.jpg

DSC00968.jpg

DSC00969.jpg

DSC00970.jpg

DSC00972.jpg

DSC00975.jpg

Well done................I read every thread on this post and Forgot about Work, Finances amd Troubles to come. Thank You

Robert

This is a bit over due but my thoughts from the last day of the trip.

This trip was absolutely fantastic. The Pigtails were so amazing to ride even though i was a bit slow on them. The roads out there were so amazing twisties followed by straights and then long sweepers..... I'm going to start drooling. The Sturgis bit was well hot but fun to look at all the odd people and some normal people al mixed together. Everyone was there for one reason motorcycles. Ya we didn't have the HD but i tell ya not one person even gave us a stink eye. Most folks nodded in recognition of the Busa and or were drunk and talked to Russ non-stop about them lol.

After going through the pigtails we saw those Buffalo. That first group with the bull that decided to go after Russ.. I wish i had a GoPro. I know i couldn't hear him but my mind ran through all the words that he may be using as that Buffalo charged after him. That was a very very freaky event. Buffalo are very big and very fast with very small noggins and they get angry easily. Traveling through 100 or more of them on a bike is heart pumping. After that some amazing amazing sweepers and roads :thumbsup:

That last Burger we had in Newcastle was great also. They told us after seating us that the only thing they had on their menus was a Steak.... for 22$ thats all. Fortunately russ asked for burgers and they found some and cooked em up for us. For 7$ and they were amazing. As we were leaving and that gas station full.. not a large faction the parking lot was full of this MC. Nice of one of them to come over and tell us to be careful out of town due to a few cops down the road..... a few cops meaning MOST of Wyo Hwy patrol.

No joke no cops and maybe 3 cars for 100 miles with Russ leading at 100MPH (allegedly). It was a great great cruise down the road. I did discover that night that i don't care for going over bridges over 75mph in the dark on roads i don't know. I tell you one thing there is nothing more unfortunate then pulling up to the only gas station in over 50 miles saying out of service when you are on empty... When we got to the next town Russ even ran out and danced a little jig at 12:30 in the morning lol. Great times... then we had to push start Bessy :(. Still fun though

I was lucky enough to find my keys the next morning being held safe in a helmet and boogied down the road. I made excellent time and was lucky enough to meet a couple HD riders at the Wyo boarder to chat with. My buddy Deal met me there at the state line with a nice big bottle of cold water and off to home i went.

For those of you that have never been to Sturgis i would highly recommend it. Ya its mainly HD but being surrounded by that many bikes and that many great great roads plus some of the USAs neatest monuments its just worth it. A fantastic trip with a fantastic host and guide. Thanks very very much for the trip Russ, thanks for calmly waiting at the gas stations as i fiddled about at my own pace. I hope we can do it again sometime.

heres to putting together a run with some other org members next year.

Back