First car for daughter

hell you could go to the local builder and have a crash cage installed and still be well ahead of the game.

IF you can find one any early 90's model Toyota 4Runner is bulletproof... same as Nissan Pathfinders. My buddy just sold his 96 4Runner with 287K on it still running strong with no major repairs ever. But these vehilces are hard to find in that price range even being that old.. Good Luck!

IF you can find one any early 90's model Toyota 4Runner is bulletproof... same as Nissan Pathfinders. My buddy just sold his 96 4Runner with 287K on it still running strong with no major repairs ever. But these vehilces are hard to find in that price range even being that old.. Good Luck!

Up here in WI you won't find anything Toyota from the early 90's that you can't see through. Toyotas rust out like crazy in the salt. They'll still be running for sure, but they will look horrible :laugh:

An older 4runner made by toyota are bullet proof Ive seen them go atleast 300K before major issues.
they do hold there value but if you are patient you can find a great deal on one.
Posted via Mobile Device

This! I'm considering buying one now. There are alot around, late nineties, early two thousand models with 80k to 150k in the 5000 to 10000 price range. They have no major issues. Put a timing belt/tensioners and water pump on the 3.4 V6 every 100k and it'll run forever.
They also get 20 to 21 mpg highway.

We bought my daughter a 97 4 runner limited, great car, newer gave any problems. Good luck. Drop in more often. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

thanks for all replies guys. I knew I could count on the .org! Keep the info coming!
Posted via Mobile Device

Dont forget about the Nissan Xterra, great little rides and should be able to find one in budget.

My friends parents got him this......and he is still rolling it.....

2010 Holidays 045.jpg

i do quite a bit of mechanical work on the side of vehicles. as far as suvs go chevys suck and fords suck worse. the kias are very reliable and with the 100k warranty you really cant go wrong. if you get the 4 cyl model it does ok on fuel and it wont brake any land speed records which might be for the best. if you get the v6 it doesnt get the best mileage but its better powered especially if you get the awd.

Whatever you decide, take the radio, rear seats and cell phone out of it.
:laugh:

Up here in WI you won't find anything Toyota from the early 90's that you can't see through. Toyotas rust out like crazy in the salt. They'll still be running for sure, but they will look horrible :laugh:

Yeah I remember that... I grew up down in Kenosha.. lived there 19 years before joing the military..

I would take all of her ideas, put them on paper and then wad it up and tell her you will get her something safe, reliable and in your price range. SUVs wouldn’t be my first choice only because teens in general are at best distracted drivers. Add in a vehicle that can respond a little funny at highway speeds to sudden steering inputs and a lack of driving experience and it can be deadly.

I would look at something small and safe. If she rear ends someone in a corolla she will be fine, the person she hits has a great chance of being fine. Same thing in an explorer or Montero sized vehicle and some one is going to be hurt bad. The big toys have a habit of lying on their sides during some impacts. Play it safe.

No on the K car, but something cheap to fix and not so cool that she drives everywhere and goes off roading in. Kids have to have SOME reason to earn enough money to get something they want. I drive a lifted Wrangler and know how they can misbehave on the highway.

i know i'm kinda late in the discussion and havent really been following the conversation, but buy her a VOLVO 240. the later the model year the better. gets 25mpg, not fast enough to get a speeding ticket, never breaks down, and will rival the safety rating of a bradley tank lol
ohh ya.. they run forever so if you find a low mileage one that's been looked after it will serve you well for decades to come!

i have a lady friend with a 05 jeep cherokee with 155K miles. sales on the road all the time. only routine maintenance. no suprises at all.

The KIAs are pretty good, but not that cheap. 5 star rated in most or every category, great fuel mileage, and life time warranty; whatever that means. Wifes Optima is getting 30+ to work and back. We got 31.5 bringing it home from Miss.

Back