Help with Apparel choices

viasevenvai

Registered
I was going to put "Help with Gear Choice" but then I thought everyone would say, "3rd!"

I wanted some people's opinions on the right gear to choose.

The main thing you have to keep in mind is the TEXAS HEAT.

My goal is to ride to work and not look like a racer. I'm thinking kevlar jeans, textile jacket (have leather already).

As far as protection does anyone have experience with the knee protectors that you can slide on? They are around $50 from what I've seen and cover the shin area too. If anyone has experience with them; could you wear them when walking around and how noticeable are they?

A hip injury scares me pretty bad. I've considered those padded pants before but I'm not sure how bulky they are and if I'd really wear them. Is that a common injury and does anyone wear them?

Any other must-haves for a commute?

Thanks for the advice/experience!

for hot weather riding, I prefer fully perforated leather jackets (I have Scorpion, Icon and Alpinestars) with a Fieldsher Iceberg Vest and Under Armour shirt.

I use jeans with KEVLAR (Shift, Speed-and-Strength, Icon). And I also use ICON shin guards under the jeans and you can easily walk-around them (without it bulking up your shins)

2005_Icon_Field_Armor_Knee_Shin.jpg

Mesh jacket and mesh overpants. Will be cooler than perforated leather, but of course will not offer the same protection. It's a choice of a bit more comfort over a bit more safety. My mesh gear has armor in all the right places (hips etc) though.

I use Icon Armor to deal with the heat also.. i wish I could find Kevlar jeans in my size :down:

I have already tested regular jeans, I knew they wouldn't cut, I got screwed.

Yup ICON..have the same ones...someone has the "bionic" armor? Which is mesh vest with aromor on it????

Mesh jacket and mesh overpants. Will be cooler than perforated leather, but of course will not offer the same protection. It's a choice of a bit more comfort over a bit more safety. My mesh gear has armor in all the right places (hips etc) though.

My Joe Rocket Alter Ego gear strips out for the summer and offers all the protection.

oh yeah i forgot about those mesh jackets. A friend rode with one for 2 summers and raved about it. I think we talked about just wearing one of those armored shirts is pretty much the same thing. Knox makes a $299 armored shirt kind of deal that includes; back protector, chest protector, elbows/forearms, shoulders. Everything else on it is mesh and it's meant to be under a jersey or leather jacket.

Seems like an armored shirt would look silly but it would be the max protection with max air flow. Icon mesh jacket is the appropriate compromise it seems.

Thanks guys!

Guys...this stuff comes up all the time...as the saying goes..dress for the slide not the ride. If you ever have to lay it down in mesh or some of the joe rocket apparel..it will come apart..it will melt onto your skin...you will leave a snail trail of skin across the pavement if you go down hard and slide..Cordura doesn't do well either in a real slide. There are only two things that will protect your hide...and they are Kevlar and leather. Kevlar is over 20 times tougher than leather. It is not cheap. But a mesh kevlar jacket with a wet cooling vest is the only thing to use in the heat...good luck with your hot weather.

Back