Routing SS brake lines

AJAY

Registered
Finally installed my Galfer SS front brake lines. It's about time - I've only had them for two years!

The lines are very stiff and I wanted to make sure they were well restrained to prevent rubbing and wearing into the plastic coating. I guess most people use wire/zip ties, but I wanted the lines to be better supported than that. My first thought was to use a pair of Adel clamps like used on airplanes, but the local autoparts store thinks these should be high-dollar parts instead of the 75 cent parts I know they should be.

I came up with a simple and effective fix. There was a clamp for the original brake line, plus another wire loop connected to it. I cut some pieces of standard 3/8" fuel line into 1" lengths, slit lengthwise. Then slide these over the brake lines and press them into the two stock clamps. With the fuel line covering the brake lines, the clamps hold very snugly, yet let the brake line inside move just a little bit. Pics below if you didn't understand that.

mini-Galfer (6).JPG

Galfer (1).jpg

Galfer (2).jpg

Galfer (3).jpg

Galfer (7).jpg

mini-Galfer (8).JPG

Good job! I just put some tape around the lines and was done.

To make sure nothing rubs hold the brake lever and press hard on the triple a few times to simulate aggressive braking. Take a peek at the lines while doing so and see how they move, and whether they are rubbing against anything.

This also worked for the right side line at the fender, but it looks a little klugey.

I haven't quite figured out how to hold the left line off the fender. I bent that wire clamp on the triple tree so the left line would not touch the fender with the forks fully extended, but I'd like a more positive restraint down by the fender to save the paint.

IG, I did what you recommended about pressurizing the lines, but didn't see much movement below the triple tree. Could barely feel them move with my fingers. The brakes do feel much firmer, but it's raining now and I haven't tried them on the street yet.

P.S. No razzing me about the reflectors. Brakes are a safety device, and so are reflectors. :rofl:

mini-Galfer2 (1).JPG

mini-Galfer2 (2).JPG

This also worked for the right side line at the fender, but it looks a little klugey.

I haven't quite figured out how to hold the left line off the fender. I bent that wire clamp on the triple tree so the left line would not touch the fender with the forks fully extended, but I'd like a more positive restraint down by the fender to save the paint.

IG, I did what you recommended about pressurizing the lines, but didn't see much movement below the triple tree. Could barely feel them move with my fingers. The brakes do feel much firmer, but it's raining now and I haven't tried them on the street yet.

P.S. No razzing me about the reflectors. Brakes are a safety device, and so are reflectors. :rofl:

So, what's the deal with reflectors? :poke: :laugh:

I think you didn't press hard enough. When you brake hard, the bottom of the bike's nose (that plastic piece) is almost touching the front fender. You probably need another person - one to press on the triple a few times with all the might you have, and another looking at the brake lines. In all likelyhood you are OK, but sometimes the lines may rub the wrong way and knowing this ahead of time lets you take preventive measures.

Good idea, I have some brake lines that have been in my basement now for almost a year. One of these days I will install them, but now I need to get some vacuum line as well.

Can't you use some of that clear see through hose i get at the aquarium shop on the fender?

Even if is not wide enough you may be able to slice it open wrap it around still hold it in place.

Can't you use some of that clear see through hose i get at the aquarium shop on the fender?

Even if is not wide enough you may be able to slice it open wrap it around still hold it in place.
Yep, that would probably work.

Or I could just do a decent job of cutting the black hose using a razor blade and clean the lettering off the side. I'm so lazy sometimes. :rofl:

Back