Want to paint my front rotors - Suggestions?

orosado79

Registered
Hello! New guy here! Recently got my first busa, got a great deal on a 2002 Black/Blue with only 3K miles for $5k. Love the ride compared to my gsxr, much more comfortable.

Anyways, I'm in the process of beautifying her by making some appearance mods and cleaning up the mess the previous owner left since he apparantly never cleaned the bike! ???

My front rotors are gold and a bit faded, I would like to paint them a glossy black since I am polishing the lips of the wheels and respraying the centers for a glossy black finish. The gold doesn't really go with anything and since they are already faded, I figured I might as well clean them up with a coat of black. Any suggestions on what type of paint I should use that will hold? Has anyone sprayed these before? If so, any tips would help!

Thanks! :beerchug:

Welcome to the oRg. Brake Caliper paint should work, its high temp and those rotors will get hot at times. You could tape them off and spray them, but I never had much luck with that. If it were me I would brush paint them. Light coats until you have even coverage. :welcome:

:poke:powdercoat.......:laugh: :beerchug:

1.jpg

Those look nice! I do plan on powdercoating a lot of pieces once the winter comes around but I'm looking for a quick cheap remedy right now so I can ride. The wheels had to come off for new tires which is why I decided to polish them and repaint. That should be done by Saturday and I want to have the rotors done by then.

Hi-Temp BBQ paint is what we use on rat bikes - covers up a scuffed exhaust in no time - about $6 a can at home depot. I think it's rated to 600 degrees - good cheap solution if you're going to powder coat them later anyway. Be sure to tape off the contact surface - paint of any kind will screw up your braking like you wouldn't believe.

I spray painted mine with high temp spray paint and haven't had any issues with them but i just did it a few weeks ago. Came out great.

powdercoating does not take long to do....find a local shop and ask for a quick turnaround. i had mind done in less than 3 hours:thumbsup:

Thanks for all the suggestions! You guys are great! I'll see if I can find a local powder coat shop, if not then I'll try some of that high temp paint.:thumbsup:

Thanks for all the suggestions! You guys are great! I'll see if I can find a local powder coat shop, if not then I'll try some of that high temp paint.:thumbsup:

Yes, we are great. Feed the Org's ego!
:eatchicken::eatchicken:
Nom nom nom nom :laugh:

Mine that I spray bombed sterling silver metallic until I get some extra money for chrome one's, the factory black looked crappy with the chrome wheels.
Y29udGVudDovL21lZGlhL2V4dGVybmFsL2ltYWdlcy9tZWRpYS8xMDY-1.jpg

Back