Shorai Lithium battery

Found out I ordered the wrong battery I needed the A1 Not the L1 Battery terminals are swaped . Called and talked to Arron ( yes a real person answered !) He said it would be fixed Luckly the order wasn't shipped yet (was supposed to be in stock between 4th and 6th) So I shoud get it in a while, then I will give a full review .

I got the battery the other day . I've had great customer seervice from Shorai . Even when I made a mistake and ordered the wrong battery , Aaron made sure that the right one was shipped. Once the battery was in stock it was shipped and got to me very quikly (they are located in Ca). I weighed the battery as you can see and it came in at a whopping 2lbs5ozs . My scale won't go high enough for the old Yausa so I looked up the specs and it was 8lbs5oz for a weight savings of 6lbs !!!! As you can see I had a Yausa YTZ14S, I needed a higher cranking battery for the big bore . The Yausa has 230 cranking amps and the new Shorai has 270 ! The battery came shipped in a box with alot of one sided sticky foam padding which is nice because its smaller as you can see , so this way I can add foam to make a snug fit . You can see I just put it in the bike because I was dying to ride . The battery was charged and started up nicely . I will give a review of starting after it sits a few days and in a year to see how it is lasting . This Battery comes with a 2 year warranty.

So Lets reveiw: 6lbs lighter (75% weight savings)
40 more cranking amps
only about $40 more
Lithium iron
Military grade carbon case
Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery has been proven as the most
environmental friendly battery. It is the safest and most suitable
for high output usage.:beerchug:

I hope this helps anyone thinking about a new battery !

IMAG0543.jpg

IMAG0547.jpg

IMAG0548.jpg

IMAG0549.jpg

IMAG0550.jpg

Also in the 3rd pic you can see a cover between the terminals , that is a 5 pinconector for thier trikle charger

Frisbee nice write up buddy. When i got my Shorai last week i picked up the package and saw that it was from Shorai. I couldn't believe it was the battery due to the weight and size of the package...i kid you not. I couldn't understand what it could be other than the battery. It was a complete disconnect between my eyes and what my hands felt....they are incredibly light, small, and just high quality materials...can mount poles from front or top of terminals...they give you all of this packing in the box so that you can pack your battery box on the bike so there is no moving around when the bike is diving corners or slamming on brakes...awesome development:cheerleader:

Yep I was impressed with the packing. Let me know how everything is working for you . did you order the same battery as me or the stock replacement?

I ordered the stock replacement getting it any day now. I've been running a homemade LiFePo4 battery with cca 370 for a month now and it works super. The shorai batteries aren't THAT powerful but same kinda battery, never gets tired no matter what, the warmer they get the more power they deliver and it doesn't ever hesitate in cold temperatures. The guy who built this one says you could even deepfreeze it and it would still work fine.

I remember when lipo's came out on the hobby market. When things went wrong they were big time boom/flames. Hopefully this is a new compound, considering the placement of it.
Posted via Mobile Device

OUCH !! That would be a bad thing!!

I remember when lipo's came out on the hobby market. When things went wrong they were big time boom/flames. Hopefully this is a new compound, considering the placement of it.
Posted via Mobile Device

I don't really believe that anyway . But I have seen the effects of a regular battery explode in a corvette . NOT GOOD !

Lots of lithium polymer batteries set laptops on fire about five years ago, but they have figured out the problems and no fires recently. We will continue to see more and more of this technology in the coming years.

From research I did recently concerning laptop batteries, the optimum treatment for lithium batteries is to keep them fully charged at all times. They do not like to sit discharged or partially discharged.

this one comes with a 2 years warrenty and they say it will hold a charge for 1 year

I am about to order one of these and found this useful information on another site.

"All lead-acid batteries can outgas hydrogen. In the case of AGM/Gel, it only happens during an overcharge situation, typically. Statements to the contrary are urban myth.

ANY battery must have its terminal charge voltage carefully controlled, or the battery will be damaged. In the case of Lead-acid (All types) an overcharge condition is also potentially dangerous. In the case of Li-Cobalt (laptop/cell battes) over-voltage charging can lead to thermal runaway (fire). Shorai LFX use LiFePO4, which are NOT subject to thermal runaway due to over-voltage charge conditions. Over-voltage charging will damage Shorai LFX, as it will any other battery, and that is it.

LiFePO4 have exactly the same charge requirements as a typical lead acid battery, 14.2~14.6V, 14.4V nominal, and the same charge curve, CC/CV.

CCA Ratings for lead-acid don't translate well in comparison to SHorai LFX, because we typically hold up to 2V higher during cranking than an equivalent-rated lead-acid battery. Since it is WATTS that starts your vehicle (A*V), this means that we crank much better than our CCA specs indicate."

"No, no joke. "Amps" never started a single motorcycle. Watts (V*A=W) start motorcycles. And batteries don't supply "CCA" in the real world; they supply the current drawn by a starter motor, which is based on the load on the motor, and the voltage delivered from battery to starter.

As for voltage, 12V is a "nominal" rating. A fully charged AGM will provide about 12.8V, a fully charged Shorai LFX about 14V.

Since lithium batteries start with a higher nominal voltage, and our LFX hold voltage under load better than the lead-acid we replace, we deliver more watts per CCA rating. As stated in our FAQ, if you are interested in actual cranking performance rather than a CCA rating designed for 12.8V lead-acid batteries, you can multiply our CCA by a factor of 1.5 for a closer comparison to lead-acid CCA ratings, in terms of delivered cranking speed.

To re-cap, CCA ratings were never intended to convey anything but the relative voltage performance of lead-acid batteries, under a given "real world" load. Since the voltage delivery of lead vs lithium can be very different, CCA ratings alone do not provide a full indicator of relative performance.

When you buy a battery, you are buying DELIVERED (not nominal) "Voltage per $", or "Voltage per gram (oz)", or a combination of those mixed with lifespan considerations.

PS: I really don't want to get into a flame war here, but your statements regarding the fire hazard threat of LiFePO4 chemistry aren't right. The web is full of inaccurate statements on this point. A voltage of 24V PER CELL is required to push LiFePO4 into liquification before a fire is possible. That means the charging system would have to output 80V+ to even enter the possibility. No motorcycle will continue to run at anywhere near 80V. Ignition systems would be likely to fail at anything above 18V... As for "oxidation-induced life problems" that Lithium have, that is just saying that lithium age like everything else on the planet. It isn't a "problem" nor does it imply a short life."

Back