Pulling the clutch cover, what are the odds the gasket can be reused??

Jaysus

Bling Free
Donating Member
Registered
I'm pressed for time and DO NOT HAVE TIME TO GET A NEW GASKET, yes I know I should.

I THINK I may have the clutch basket bolt backed out issue and want to check it be for I go but if I destroy the gasket I'm screwed.

Also if I just leave it be, how much damage can it do if thats the issue?

I'm going on a 2k mile trip to Eureka springs and I will be riding hard at high RPMs.

Thoughts??

If the bolts back out and you keep driving it you are going to regret that decision. I'm 50 / 50 on the reuse the gasket. If you get it off and don't damage it, then you should be good to go. Any leaks if any would be minimal and you can always add oil as you go. If you tear it up....not sure. Seems like permatex would work in a pinch, but I'll let others make that call. Good luck.

just head out to your local auto zone and pick up a tube of permatex gasket sealant. its only a few bucks, and it will definitly hold you over until you can replace with the correct gasket

as long as you don't over tighten the bolts when you re-install the cover your gasket should be fine. If you over tighten the bolts you will crush the gasket and it WILL leak. I've had mine off 4 or 5 times without any issues.

HOOYAH!!!

Thanks, guys.

A little more info of what's going on.

The symptoms are:
While the bike is idling in neutral there is a “rattling” noise from the clutch area. I can actually feel it through the clutch cover. If I pull in the clutch the noise goes away, not immediately but within 5 seconds it will quiet down and sound normal.
I changed the oil and it’s still making the noise.
It makes the noise no matter what the engine temperature is.

Question:
If it a bolt issue will the “rattling” noise come and goes with the clutch being pulled in and out ???

I’m not sure if it’s a basket bolt backed out or what but I feel I should pull the cover and inspect the basket just for peace of mind. I know me and on a long trip I will constantly be thinking about it.

Thanks, guys.

I’m not sure if it’s a basket bolt backed out or what but I feel I should pull the cover and inspect the basket just for peace of mind. I know me and on a long trip I will constantly be thinking about it.

You're not done pulling the cover yet?

TIP: Any time you wonder IF you should do something....you have your answer. DO IT!

HOOYAH!!!

You're not done pulling the cover yet?

TIP: Any time you wonder IF you should do something....you have your answer. DO IT!

HOOYAH!!!

As soon as I get home from work :laugh:

And yes I did see the service bulletin, this place is awsome. :bowdown:

Thanks again for the input!! The gasket held just fine and is reusable.

What I found is what I thought, bolts backed out and rubbing the clutch cover. ALL 6 bolts were loose and two of them the cover was the only thing keeping them from falling out. It’s and easy fix but I snapped one of the spring bolts off the stud, (damn). So what I did was just put the stud back in torque it to spec and am only running with 5 springs. If you’re wondering you can do that till you get another. I’m heading to Eureka Springs in the morning and I have time to get a spring bolt. Oh well, I going to ride the snot out of it and see what happens.

Hey Suzuki, this kind of thing should never happen in this day and age :banghead:

IMG_0824a.jpg

IMG_0821a.jpg

IMG_0822a.jpg

IMG_0823a.jpg

Aren't you glad you checked it :thumbsup: Well atleast now you have a lighter clutch cover with that metal ground off .. Don't forget new oil and filter :whistle:

just head out to your local auto zone and pick up a tube of permatex gasket sealant. its only a few bucks, and it will definitly hold you over until you can replace with the correct gasket

NEVER use permatex on a motorcycle engine. The stuff sqooshes out on the inside of the engine and will fall off into the oil possibly clogging this oil pickup and oil filter..
This isnt your 1973 Chevy waterpump job!
There is a reason why there is NO permetex used from the factory.

Back