Red1100cc's Epic Trip Through New Mexico- travel log w/pics

Man, you are gonna go right through CO on the same highway me and the wife will be taking down there on our trip. I plan on hitting Breckinridge and Aspen while we are out there. It is beautiful country down there and she hasnt seen the view yet lol.

Be safe out there brother I remember driving those roads in the truck and that was bad at times.

Well I woke up this morning and greeted the day. The sun was shining, chill breeze in the air.
It was nice to stay in a motel last night. I needed the shower.
The bike was looking especially sparkley so I decided to get a few pics of her new stickers.
Sharp and I were mildy surprised when the front desk called telling us checkout was an hour ago. Oops!

AAHHH giant freakin bear! :rofl:

And down the road we went. Sharp drinks a raspberry and cherry cider made in Carrizozo. So we decided to grab a bite to eat and go to the juice factory.
The burgers were pretty good. My tire seems to be holding up well, so I enjoyed the sunshine and some lunch.

I wish I had time to go through the valley of fire. Maybe next time. I had already done 1375.2 miles by that time. 40mpg average. :whistle:

We found Carrizozo Orchard and met all the folks that work there. All 1 of her.
She was the nicest lady, told us the history of the place and how they got started. And their adventures getting the cider thing up and goin. We got a bottle of each and walked around her drive and enjoyed the cool cider. They really have made a neat place there for themselves.
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND CARRIZOZO CIDER!
An American product, made with love by a nice little old lady in New Mexico.

Heading back tward Sharp’s house we noticed Willard could be on our way if we wanted it to be. Well we had heard roumors of a biker friendly bar there so we thought it best to go on and check it out.

On our way we passed Salinas National Monument, and some underwear on the fence. So we stuffed the fly with beer can and burned some ammo.

The skys were looking ominous and gloomy as we pulled into Willard. We went in the bar and I had a chili renello and a beer. The staff was friendly and the food was good. By the time we emerged, it was sunnyish again. :beerchug:

I rode on the edge of the storm all the way to Molly’s Bar where I met the bearded lady of the east mountains. Wow! :rofl:???:rofl:I even had sharp compare goatees with her. Groovy bar, good live music and a friendly could. But I was on 2 wheels and had better not stay at a bar too long. So we whipped up the mountain to the Ponderosa, where I had an awesome double bacon cheese burger. They couldn’t believe I ate the whole thing! They said only Chilean lumberjacks had ever came in here and finished a double. It was big! Big and awesome!! i even stacked the fries on top of it!:thumbsup:

Now im sitting by the fireplace in Sharp’s living room. I plan on heading toward home in the morning.

0511111210.jpg

0511111210a.jpg

0511111211.jpg

0511111211a.jpg

0511111212.jpg

0511111213.jpg

0511111213b.jpg

0511111219.jpg

0511111220a.jpg

0511111220b.jpg

0511111220c.jpg

0511111237.jpg

0511111248.jpg

0511111247a.jpg

0511111309.jpg

0511111310.jpg

0511111310a.jpg

0511111311.jpg

0511111311a.jpg

0511111312.jpg

Cant wait to see the pics from colorado.

And you must go out of the way to find all the bear statues lol

What has two thumbs and is all kinds of jealous of you??? THIS GUY! :thumbsup:
Ride safe man, and take in a little of that beautiful scenery for me!

nice man, looks like a great trip!

you certainly have a tougher butt than I do... I considered riding the busa up to Wyoming to see my buddies who went to Wyotech.... but my ass vetoed that quick! :rofl:

So I gotta say it... Is it a requirement to be a former member of ZZ-Top to attend one of those meetings?

I certainly hope you enjoyed our fine state... Please tell me you had green chile on all them burgers you had... Nothing like it.

And I cant help but think your pics make albuquerque look a WHOLE lot bigger than it really is... :laugh:

Cant wait to see the pics from colorado.

And you must go out of the way to find all the bear statues lol

the bears just find me. its strange.lol???:laugh:

What has two thumbs and is all kinds of jealous of you??? THIS GUY! :thumbsup:
Ride safe man, and take in a little of that beautiful scenery for me!

will do

nice man, looks like a great trip!

So I gotta say it... Is it a requirement to be a former member of ZZ-Top to attend one of those meetings?

I certainly hope you enjoyed our fine state... Please tell me you had green chile on all them burgers you had... Nothing like it.

And I cant help but think your pics make albuquerque look a WHOLE lot bigger than it really is.

zz top :rofl: looks that way dosent it.:laugh: there are just not that many younger fellas in to standing up for thier rights and getting involved. even im getting grey.:whistle:

i did have chili on a few of them burgers. mmmm good stuff Maynard. :beerchug:

im guessing im touring during the windy season. ??? New Mexico is really pretty and wide open. i find it to be alot like Wyoming, :poke: just different sagebrush. i wish i had more time to tour around, but i gotta get home.

my internet got shut off last night mid pic load so i'll try it again here in a sec. .

Mmmmmm....that's better :beerchug:

Like a white car in a sea of black ones your bike must be easy to find at meetings like that :)

Willard was a cool place. and on to molly's and Eunice the bearded lady of the eastern mountains. :thumbs: she was a kick in the pants! awesome lady. i also got to know bill bish's preacher a little better :whistle: (bill n Darlene did a 15yr receremony at the ncom ball).

oh and that burger at the Ponderosa :bowdown:
:whistle: with big burger, :poke: comes big heartburn.
:rofl:im feeling my age.ahhk :whistle:

0511111703a.jpg

0511111704.jpg

0511111704a.jpg

0511111704b.jpg

0511111704c.jpg

0511111745.jpg

0511112013.jpg

0511112013a.jpg

0511112014.jpg

0511112014a.jpg

0511112114.jpg

0511112114a.jpg

Man that place looks like it's jumpin' ! I bet on the weekends it's packed :rofl:

Is that a sticker on your gas tank :poke: :spank:

yeah, been quite windy here lately... coulda picked a better time to come... A little later, or just a couple weeks earlier woulda been great. But oh well.

Did you get a chance to head into the mountains for some twisties? The jemez have some nice twisties to get on...

and heres my delima. im tired. i don't think im going to travel today. my sinuses ache. i have rode through dust storms, high wind, side wind, head wind, and the occasional tail wind; "why Momma said i rode in bout every kinda wind dair is"(in my best Forest Gump.)
i'll admit it, im tired. the road has kinda beat me.
im running out of time and $$, and ya know what :poke: i just wanna go home. i miss my wife, my son, and my dog. :down:
monument valley and the arches is an epic ride in its self. and i got to thinking, all the parks have fees, and the motels out in the middle of no where BFE are $$$. no $25 rooms out there.

im thinkin i'll rest today, and iron butt it up I-25 home.
:poke: i know it's not that adventureous but like my Daddy warned me. "Son, don't try to stuff 20lbs of fun into a 10lb sack. You'll break your sack, and have no fun at all!" :rulez:
(true statement, and yes MY Daddy really said that.)

i can do it in 1 day. it's a pain in the man poutch, but i can do it.

:slook: "Ya know Russ, it might be fun to dink around and go camp out in Colorado. there are alot of state parks just off I-25. don't push your self!"

:angel: "Oh but Russ, you miss your family. and your duties to ABATE, lest not forgit those."

Russ ":pullhair: im not shure what im gonna do yet."

:popcorn: "Excellent!"

Red, thanks for all of the pics and stories. It was fun to see and read your adventures. I don't know what'll get you first though. Those burgers look like they could choke a horse. How a skinny kid like you can down one of those would be a sight to behold.:laugh:

well i stayed an extra day. piddled around Sharp's house and went to another graveyard to look for the "real" grave of billy the kid. is he in there somewhere? i donno.

the sunset over the mountain looked pretty. we got cleaned up and went out to the Ponderosa to sing a little, drink a little, and have a good time.
mission accomplished :beerchug:

ahhhh, another bear!!

today i packed up and hit the road. said goodbye to Sharp and rolled down the interstate.

next stop was Wagon Mound for some gas and a V8. had to put on my coveralls and hoodie, it was gettin chili. i made it to Trinidad and got a room at the Trails End Motel. very biker friendly joint.

im going to try and meet up with Gpmo after noon. he may join me on the superslab for a bit. :thumbsup:

i don't know what it was today, i just couldn't get in to a grove. i was uncomfortable on the bike. the wind screaming in my ears. my mild hangover. my legs hurt. think i'll take some advil and go to bed.
til tomorrow my friends, happy dreams.

0512111838.jpg

0512111838a.jpg

0512111838b.jpg

0512111838c.jpg

0512111839.jpg

0512111959.jpg

0512112238.jpg

0512112238a.jpg

0512112238b.jpg

0513110057b.jpg

0513110122b.jpg

0513110122a.jpg

0513111536.jpg

0513111536a.jpg

0513111536c.jpg

0513111536d.jpg

0513111841.jpg

0513111841a.jpg

0513111841b.jpg

0513112129.jpg

be safe man, I know the urge to want to get home can make you do some crazy things lol.
Take it easy and enjoy the ride, you make it, you make it, you dont, you dont. At least we will get another episode of your travels lol.

I am getting so close I can taste it man, just cant wait to get home and blast off somewhere.

Back