Let's See Your Storm Shelter

Flicka

Professional Booga Flicka
Registered
Tornadoes are becoming a regular occurrence around here, and we don't have a storm shelter at my house. I'm thinking it's time to make the investment. Let's see what some of you guys have?

Pictures, descriptions and experiences... The more information, the better.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

When I lived in Iowa years and years ago, you could buy "pre-made" shelters that a company would come out and dig a hole in the ground and place the shelter in it. Then, you could do what you needed to secure the entry door and what not. Most were putting a couple of 2x4's across the inside of the door and a latch. Not sure if they are still available, but that may be a route you want to take.

When I lived in Iowa years and years ago, you could buy "pre-made" shelters that a company would come out and dig a hole in the ground and place the shelter in it. Then, you could do what you needed to secure the entry door and what not. Most were putting a couple of 2x4's across the inside of the door and a latch. Not sure if they are still available, but that may be a route you want to take.

I've seen websites for that type of shelter. I wonder about actual experiences with them as far as water leaking in, accessibility issues, that sort of thing.

We had one when I was a kid living in Tx. It was a big box type thing that was buried underground about 5 feet behind our house that could hold about 15 people comfortably. We never had a problem with water leaking in it and it used a hatch door (kinda reminded me of how you would get into a submarine) . We did have to get in it a few times for percautions but never had a tornado hit while we were in it. Not sure what you would do if the house collapsed on it...never thought about that as a kid.

Not sure what you would do if the house collapsed on it...never thought about that as a kid.

I've thought about that a little bit... Keep a charged radio on the Sheriff's frequency maybe. At the very least have a hammer to bang on the hatch and make some noise, with some food and water to hold you over.

I've thought about that a little bit... Keep a charged radio on the Sheriff's frequency maybe. At the very least have a hammer to bang on the hatch and make some noise, with some food and water to hold you over.

We did keep water and food down there. Also, there was an air vent I guess we could have used to yell out of.

I think the prebuilt ones have come a long way, saw a show on Discovery some time ago. I don't have a pic for ya though, here in Florida water table is so shallow ya know. I wonder if a inward opening hatch would be a good idea, since it would be easier to open if stuff outside were to get piled on ya and the vortex causes a serious low pressure vacuum. So an inward opening hatch would make harder for the twister to pull it open.

have a full size basement under the house with water faucets, a drain in the floor attached to the city drainage system, and enough food to last for a while :beerchug:

When I built my house, I built my attached garage 24x28 on steel 18" I-beams and continued the basement under the garage too. So I have that room with 12" block walls and 18" I-beams with 4 inches of concrete for a ceiling. That's where I'd go if anything hit here.

It aint big but it will do the job.

Its in the garage, Bolted into the concrete. Its not very big, but big enough to get into should something happen. 7ft tall 3 1/2' wide. 3/8" Steel. Hinged door with 3 slide locks on it and if need be can be lifted off the hinges from the inside.

Should the garage collaps around it all the neighbors and freinds know about it so I dont think we would have to hold up too long in it.

===================================================================

101_5190.jpg

101_5191.jpg

101_5192.jpg

101_5193.jpg

Jet, I like the idea about an inward opening door, but it would need to be strong and have some serious locking bolts for impact resistance. All of the shelters I've seen so far either open outward or have sliding doors.

Semi, I think some of the EF-4's we've had around here might have sucked you right out of the basement once the house was removed. Maybe the basement needs seatbelts too? :laugh:

Doug, that sounds like a pretty nice setup. I bet it would make a good armory as well.

DemmyM, I've never seen anything like that. If it sits at ground level, I might be worried about getting smacked by a waterheater, car, etc at 200 MPH. It looks like it would be great for a lower elevation, or anywhere else as long as nothing too heavy impacts it at speed.

:bump:

Cap, TwoTone, Uncle Steve, Omar... All you tornado alley folks please jump in here.

Had family in Northern Ms. Back in the day they called them bomb shelters ( nuclear age had begun ) I wished I could remember, but they had the door facing a certain direction. The last one they had and survived a storm that took everything they had and deposited it in the next county was cinder block constructed and in the side of a hill. Concrete floor and roof. Very small wood benches on opposing sides. about the size of a modern pump house.

Do the research :beerchug:

One reason I live in Florida. We get warning when hurricanes come and have op to runnnnnnnnn! I went thru all three in 2005 I believe it was and after that my nerves are shot! No more sitting here watching the walls 'breathe' in and out or wondering when the roof is gonna get sucked off. Yes tornadoes are very powerful but try sitting in your house for 15 hours and listening to 150mph winds out your door. It never stopped! I'm outta here come the next one!

Demmym that is a really unique thing you got. Never seen anything like it.

Back