Cruise Control installed, comes on but not engaging. HELP

Did I ever send you my notes?
How much slack do you have in the cable leading to the throttle?

No, I don't have your notes, but would be happy to get them.
There's about 1/2" of slack in the cable, loose, but not flapping in the wind.
There's room to adjust it if needed. Should it be looser?

P1010488 (Mobile).JPG

P1010493 (Mobile).JPG

P1010496 (Mobile).JPG

P1010488 (Mobile).JPG

P1010493 (Mobile).JPG

P1010496 (Mobile).JPG

UncleSteve pm sent.

From the install manual "A noise suppressor 'in series' with the blue wire keeps excessive electrical noise from "fooling" the cruise into disengaging. For this reason make sure all cruise control wiring is at least 1 ft. away from all electromagnetic sources such as: ignition wires, alternator, regulator, and all high current carrying conductors."

Could looping and taping the excess blue wire to the servo harness cause excessive electrical noise?
I've got the whole harness wrapped in electrical tape with the black, purple and blue wires exiting the wrap where needed. So, there's a couple of loops of the blue and purple wire taped to the harness on the servo end, did that so I didn't end up cutting the wires short.

What about running the servo harness up the left side of the bike parallel to the bikes main harness?
I've got the servo harness following the bike's main harness from the battery forward to the fuse box area. The blue wire to the coil exits the servo harness near the engine head and follows the bike's coil harness from the left to right side of bike.

How do those with successful installs have the blue wire run?

I'm grasping at straws here fellas!

Do you have these instructions? I have posted them before, I think Pipefighter posted them too long ago....

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

I would GROUND 87a (relay) - don't pull it from the tail light. Make sure 87a is connected to a known-good, metal grounding point.

Since you're tapping into the tail light circuit, I'm betting that the ground is 'floating' and it's affecting the servo.

I would GROUND 87a (relay) - don't pull it from the tail light. Make sure 87a is connected to a known-good, metal grounding point.

Since you're tapping into the tail light circuit, I'm betting that the ground is 'floating' and it's affecting the servo.

Mine is grounded right to the battery....

Mine is grounded right to the battery....

Yep, that will work, too ;)

Haven't the chance to get back into it yet, but UncleSteve sent me his notes (the items Cap posted above).

I'm gonna ground 87a directly to the battery.

If that doesn't work then I'll:
- pull the servo harness and separate the blue and purple wires from the bundle;
- trim the blue and purple wires to length needed;
- run the blue wire up the right side of bike so there's no chance of excessive electrical noise.

- cry like a little girl;
- drink lots of Crown Royal;
- in a drunken rage, rip all the cruise components from the bike;
- make a really big fire in the front lawn and toss in the cruise control;
- dance around the fire naked. :laugh:

I don't think cutting the blue wire is advised; it has the noise suppressor in it...

The purple wire should be fine to cut, all it's doing is delivering +12v or 0v to disengage the servo (when the brakes are applied)

Haven't the chance to get back into it yet, but UncleSteve sent me his notes (the items Cap posted above).

I'm gonna ground 87a directly to the battery.

- pull the servo harness and separate the blue and purple wires from the bundle;
- trim the blue and purple wires to length needed;
- run the blue wire up the right side of bike so there's no chance of excessive electrical noise.

- cry like a little girl;
- drink lots of Crown Royal;
- in a drunken rage, rip all the cruise components from the bike;
- make a really big fire in the front lawn and toss in the cruise control;
- dance around the fire naked. :laugh:
Crown Royal is goooood ...Im just sayin :whistle:

Maybe try a new relay. I know you said you can hear the relay kicking over, but it is an easy/cheap swap and with some luck would fix the problem. Other than that, I would check continuity between the end of the purple wire and the relay.

It seems to me your problem is with the brake cut-off, but hard to say from across the net.

I don't think cutting the blue wire is advised; it has the noise suppressor in it...

I hear ya. What I was thinking was to pull the blue wire terminal out of the servo connector, cut off the excess wire from the servo end, get a new terminal from RadioShack, crimp on the new terminal and put it back in the connector. Thus leaving the noise suppressor intact.

But again, that's only if changing the ground on the relay 87a doesn't pan out.

Maybe try a new relay.
Might pickup a new relay while I'm at the Shack. :thumbsup:

That is another thing, check the pins inside the connectors, I have seen before where they can slide out just a bit and not provide enough connectivity. We will get this, do not take it out and burn it. If you do though, a video would be nice :beerchug:

Well, it looks like it's time to break out the Crown and my dancing shoes!

Cruise control still isn't working after following changes:
- Grounded relay 87a directly to battery;
- Unwrapped harness, pulled blue and purple wires out and rewrapped others;
- Ran blue wire up right side of bike, away from any electrical noise source;
- Cut purple wire to length needed, crimped on a terminal and connected to relay.

Oh, Radio Shack didn't have the terminal I needed to shorten the blue wire, nor the SPDT relay.

Testing while in garage, I've brought it up to 4,000 RPM, hit set and there is no movement of the cable whatsoever. Taken it out on the road at various speed and gears, I've brought it up to 4,000 RPM, hit set and held the throttle for a couple seconds then slowly released and nothing.

Not sure what else to check or change at this point. Guess I can pickup a new relay from autoparts store.

Really tired of jacking with it! Multiple blows with a sledgehammer sounds good about now. :laugh:

Does the center light on the control panel stay lit when you try to engage the cruise?

Yes, the off/on indicator stays lit when pressing the set button.

Ran out to the parts store earlier and got a new relay, so when I get a chance I'll be switching that out.

Another thing to try - at least from the brake-disconnect... connect the purple wire directly to the battery ground... At least then you know that you're getting 0v to the purple and THAT shouldn't be your problem.

Not saying that there isn't something else going on, but tying the purple directly to ground will rule out one possibility...

first one I have seen with so many problems. It is probably something simple. Just overlooked.

Back