anyone with dash panels? EPIC FAIL

busa186

Registered
So long story short. started getting the bike painted in December. Turned out... different then what I thought? I got some help from the board and learned how to wet sand and buff and I thought "man I so freaking awesome, I will smooth out the dash!" so I get to work and I am doing pretty good. but then I say hey lets make it just a little better... then BAM, primer! CRAAAAAP. OK will repaint (because I am a pro now). FAIL paint doesn't like each other and bubbles up. Soooo lets take off the paint and repaint. Oh i know, lets take tools that I have no experience with and start taking off my paint. NOPE fail again started taking off plastic now its uneven and looks like crap! wait I got a good idea lets to the other side cuz now I know what I did wrong... nope fail again. At least I still have the two big dash panels left.

I wish it wasnt 24 out side, So I could ride and stop "touching stuff"

Looked at getting a set from raceready but not at $350. got a message into ToBeFast, he has a carbon fiber for $200 plus shipping.

Any ideas?

black.jpg

black1.jpg

black2.jpg

The cold weather screws with our brains. If the cf don't workout, eBay some stockers, and don't try again :laugh:
Sent from Droid using Tapatalk

The carbon fibre looks sick,but its more fragile than stock.Stock is the best

Looked at getting a set from raceready but not at $350.

I have the ones from Race Ready. I had the pros do it. They sanded them smooth and all painted to match. One of my favorite appearance mods. I also had him paint my rotors & mirrors at the same time. Painting the stock mirrors also made a world of difference.

Will have to get it done again with the new 08. Just hate the fugly black dash panels. :(

dash3-800.jpg

dash5-800.jpg

displayimage.php

dash3-800.jpg

dash5-800.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah have a pro paint it because I am no pro and payed 1200 for a Kandy paint job since I knew I would end up like you!!! Hope things work out better as for McCoy Motor Sports I do a lot of business with them and so far the have been great. Its 75 here and I can't ride bc I am waiting on my swing Arm from McCoy...

Hey, at least you tried. Do you figure the paint was incompatible w/ the primer, was it too cold, dust between layers? I have contemplated trying this but I just have not taken the plunge.....bike looks good with that combo!

nice looking bike man. I like the red accents. my first bike looked real similar. sorry to hear about the dash panels. I had some old ones you could have had but sounds like they would be more work to get them right than the ones you have. Glad to hear everything else went well for ya.

Back