Ordered new cruise control today...

If it picked up on the stand for a sec you should be good to go. The unit senses there isn't a load and will stop after just a few seconds. I think your ready for the street.

k, i adjusted that. there is at least a 1/2in between the chain and the closest thing to it.

ok so i revved it to 4000 on the stand in N and it worked for a sec. i assume that it was working as intended. so now to make everything look pretty

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Sweet, the doc that UncleSteve sent and the pics that are posted made this a 4 out of 10.

Let us know the final outcome of your install. I feel really quite comfortable with this now and hope to find time to get it done soon.

works as far as i can tell. my knee wont let me go too far but it seems it is a sucess. here is the final install pics of the rear. note that on the servo side (left as you are sitting) i had to trim the pod area for the servo to fit in there. I did not have to do it on the other side. and on the control module, i tied the red and the grey together and ran it into the back into my accessory fuse box. (less wires that run back). I had some BMW tape and taped all the wiring i could. :beerchug:

DSC_2023.jpg

DSC_2026.jpg

DSC_2024.jpg

DSC_2023.jpg

DSC_2026.jpg

DSC_2024.jpg

skaz - How did you go about mounting the control module? I'm looking for fresh ideas.

I was initially thinking about making a sheet metal bracket to attach to the clutch master cylinder mounting bolts, but not sure I'd like it there.

So other than the actual CC unit, and the vacuum canister, what other items are we going to need to install this? (example like items for taping into the brake lights (harness, etc). Anyone think they will have a write up soon for us mechanically challenged folk?

efiguero - CC kit, vacuum canister and a relay if you have LED brake lights.

The kit that Murph's offers has the option of adding the vacuum canister and relay for $22. So, if you get those 3 items there's nothing more that you would need for a basic install. The CC kit itself has an array of brackets, cables, wire taps, zip ties, vac hose and tee's.

If you're not mounting the control module on the inner cowl then you'll need a bracket to mount it to the bars or else where, as the module is intended to mount in a car/truck dashboard.

I'm wrapping up my '06 install and plan on doing a full write up with pics. Tonight I'm painting the control module black so it doesn't stick out as bad and fabricating a bracket to mount it.

efiguero - CC kit, vacuum canister and a relay if you have LED brake lights.

The kit that Murph's offers has the option of adding the vacuum canister and relay for $22. So, if you get those 3 items there's nothing more that you would need for a basic install. The CC kit itself has an array of brackets, cables, wire taps, zip ties, vac hose and tee's.

If you're not mounting the control module on the inner cowl then you'll need a bracket to mount it to the bars or else where, as the module is intended to mount in a car/truck dashboard.

I'm wrapping up my '06 install and plan on doing a full write up with pics. Tonight I'm painting the control module black so it doesn't stick out as bad and fabricating a bracket to mount it.

Thanks for the info, the Murph's kit is the one I have been planning on purchasing as I did the early preorder but have held off until I could see a good write up to make sure I could do it myself. As for the relay that is included, is that to allow the CC to work with the LED tail light or is that relay for something else? Keep in mind, I am inquiring about the Gen II.

the murphs kit does not explicitly come with a relay. it is an option... one that you will need to get along with the canister.

As for the relay that is included, is that to allow the CC to work with the LED tail light or is that relay for something else? Keep in mind, I am inquiring about the Gen II.

As skaz replied, the relay is not included in the kit, it's sold separate for $10 or with the vac can for $22. And yes the relay is needed for bikes with LED brake lights.

----
I've got a couple more connections to make, put the plastics back on and I'm ready for the test ride. I tell ya, trying to install the CC without hacking into the stock wiring has been challenging (12V switched for this one, 12V with ign on but 0V when cranking for that one ... blah blah blah). Anyway, I'm very close.

Gotta share some pics of the bracket I fab'd. It's amazing what an idiot can do with some sheet metal, jig saw, drill, a dremel, some JB weld and a little spray paint. So proud of myself. :laugh:
Just painted it earlier so I haven't permanently attached the control module yet.

P1010481 (Small).JPG

Note the large hole for wiring and access to the bolts.
P1010480 (Small).JPG

Right side shot.
P1010482 (Small).JPG

Shot of the rear, from front of bike.
P1010483 (Small).JPG

And one from the left. Note the notch in the top left to allow the fast idle lever room to travel (fully engaged in this shot).
P1010484 (Small).JPG

Oh, don't know if you caught it or not, but I masked the lettering on the control module with strips of tape and then hit it with the black paint. Unless you get right up on it, it looks like it came cast in black plastic instead of the original grey.

P1010480 (Small).JPG

P1010481 (Small).JPG

P1010482 (Small).JPG

P1010483 (Small).JPG

P1010484 (Small).JPG

Guess this fell off the radar because I posted so late last night, but I was hoping for some feed back on my bracket. :whistle:

Anywho, if anyone is interested I'll be including the template when I post my write-up of the install.

I had not thought of that method for a bracket, depending on the difficulty I may go that route. It looks good though, nice work.

As for not hacking into the wiring, the only wire I think I will actually have to splice into is the brake light for the relay for the cut off of the cruise. The RPM reading will be coming from a tap that I got from Schnitz racing. The switched power source will be coming from adapter from Boost By Smith that attaches to the front of the bike.

Guess this fell off the radar because I posted so late last night, but I was hoping for some feed back on my bracket. :whistle:

Anywho, if anyone is interested I'll be including the template when I post my write-up of the install.

Looks awesome! Can't wait to see your write-up. Either way I am attempting it next month.

The bracket does look very nice! I installed one of these units on my Nomad but did not have much luck with it maintaining speed settings beyond 65+ mph. I think my vacuum canister was too small, made with 3/4" PVC. Anyway, the throttle lock works for that bike for now. This is appealing to me for the Busa for sure! Looking forward to the GenI write up.

The bracket does look very nice! I installed one of these units on my Nomad but did not have much luck with it maintaining speed settings beyond 65+ mph. I think my vacuum canister was too small, made with 3/4" PVC. Anyway, the throttle lock works for that bike for now. This is appealing to me for the Busa for sure! Looking forward to the GenI write up.
Do a search around I think there is already a write up for the Gen I, we are waiting a write up for the Gen II.

pic of my throttle linkage. I had trouble with the first one bending and hanging up. Had to keep my hand close to the clutch if the throttle locked on the way home. I made the next one out of heavier metal. # years and still works like a champ. Note, I installed a star washer before the bracket went on to prevent slippage of the bracket.

best.jpg

Back