Ordered new cruise control today...

After a bit more reading.... i notice that the control module has 2 extra wires and they say to tap them into the brown one.... what in the world is the red one for?

2 extra wires? Are you speaking of the grey and black wires from the control switch module? The grey is the backlight and black is the ground.

There should be no extra wires from the control switch module.

The red wires from both the control switch module and servo are connected to the 12V switched power* to the running/park lights, which is the brown wire on the bike (or other switched power source). This connection supplies power to the control switch module and servo.

* 12V switched power = hot only when ignition is in the on or park positions.

The purple wire from the servo is connected to the white/black** wire on the bike at the tail. This connection signals the servo that the brake has been activated and turns off the servo.

** white/black = hot only when brake is activated.

thanks rusheriv

On the Gen II the purple wire has to go to a relay. but the relay connects to the W/B(thanks for clarifying). When i spoke of the red wire, I was wondering about the one going to the module, if the grey and black control the backlighting.... what does the red one do? but, none the less, I will attach it to a swiched power source.

So I got everything wired up.... and of course it doesnt work.

What doesnt work is when you turn it on and set the cruise.... it doesnt set. checked and the servo isnt even trying to engage. So I checked the blue wire and it goes into the shnitz adapter piece that was mentioned.

now that I think about it, is the jumper supposed to be on or off?

Jumper should be off for manual transmission applications.

Red wire on the control switch module is the power for the on/off switch, which sends power to the servo via the brown wire from the control switch module.

According to the install manual there is a LED inside the cover on the servo. The LED will light when: Set is pressed, Resume is pressed, brakes are pressed. If LED doesn't light then check wiring.

The led does in fact come on. I removed the jumper but the servo cable still isnt moving.

if i hit res or set the led comes on. If i hit the brakes, it comes on and the relay clicks.

Yes actually. I assume since that it works off of rpm , I could test if it would try to maintain that rpm before i take it on a test ride. it was in neutral on a rear stand.

i was trying to make sure all the wiring was correct before I started buttoning it back up for a test ride.

bikecc.jpg

bikecc_1.jpg

bikecc.jpg

bikecc_1.jpg

If I recall correctly, you have to going about 35 MPH for it to engage properly, but I am not sure. This is great information for those of us getting ready to do the install.

Theskaz, do you have a pictures of the throttle linkage that we may see before you get it all put back together? That is a part that a lot of us are struggling with as it is the most dangerous.

The trottle linkage looks just like caps but i can take a pic in a minute. from what I understand, the CC only uses rpms.... not speed...at all. But I will button it up and take it for a test run, and hopefully wont have to tear it apart.

You can set it on the stand I've done it. 3500 rpm is what the system has to have before it will engage. It's safer on the road for sure but the stand will work to test.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I have a little bit of final adjustment, but this is pretty much it.

011.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

Well skaz, by the look and sounds of things, you're in the home stretch. Fingers crossed for a sucessfull test ride.

One last reccomendation.... Make sure you have all your wires in a super tight loom and tie wrapped up snug. Make sure the heads of the tie wraps are on the inside of the loom and that there is no way that you can catch that chain on a wire or tie wrap..

k, i adjusted that. there is at least a 1/2in between the chain and the closest thing to it.

ok so i revved it to 4000 on the stand in N and it worked for a sec. i assume that it was working as intended. so now to make everything look pretty

Back