do you really need to drag your knee?

Just a little input here on the pic...

For those that don't know TufBusa is a track coach! When he offers free advice you might want to take note... There are a lot of guys that have ridden BEHIND him or been passed by him and let me tell ya this is a guy that has the best interest of the members in mind.

Whats wrong with this pic... While it might be just a one time thing going around the corner Tuf identified that when you have a bike like the busa leaned over that far and your sitting almost straight up you are riding close to the tires sliding out. There are many reasons to get your body position low and off the bike is to allow the bike to sit up straighter not to necessarily drag your knee. If you take the corner riding on top of the bike and you take it at a high speed you increase the risk that your going to lose it. Simply getting lower and off the bike instead of on top of it will let the bike sit up and also change the weight distribution allowing the corner to be take at the same speed.

I am still learning, I have read the right books and go to all the track days I can. I can tell you that my body position was just like the pic above, when I started to listen to Uncle Steve, Macon454 and TufBusa.
cap.jpg

E- 361.jpg

I quickly figured out that I can go around corners faster, smoother and more consistantly... I am still a work in progress but I guarantee you that I am light years better than I was at riding.

Don't take it personally just know that Tufbusa just doesn't want to see you go down...

cap.jpg

E- 361.jpg

Last edited:
I hope you realize that I was poking fun a bit ...
I agree with your post and we are all "works in progress" I always try to listen to good advise and try to take in as many school days and track days as I can afford to.
Sometimes we just take ourselves a bit to serious :moon:

here is a couple of the pics after several track days and lots of chewin from some good friends...

dk2.jpg

dk5.jpg

Im getting better but its because some close friends cared enough to work with me...

Thanks guys...

cap

dk2.jpg

dk5.jpg

I hope you realize that I was poking fun a bit ...
I agree with your post and we are all "works in progress" I always try to listen to good advise and try to take in as many school days and track days as I can afford to.

I don't doubt at all that you might have been joking around but when you post a pic that a pro sees something wrong and brings it up you can't get defensive about it.

Last time I checked there wasn't any prize money for helping the most people, that means that Tuf was just trying to offer some free insight BEFORE something really goes wrong.

Last edited:
Welcome to the sport bike way of life take it easy out there, it's not what you ride but how you ride it... if you are dragging your knee on a public road you are going to fast for the turn on a public road

Not necessarily true, You can drag a knee from 15 mph and up, You do not need to be going fast to do it.

I don't doubt at all that you might have been joking around but when you post a pic that a pro sees something wrong and brings it up you can't get defensive about it.

Last time I checked there wasn't any prize money for helping the most people, that means that Tuf was just trying to offer some free insight BEFORE something really goes wrong.

I was not offended and not defensive ....
Sorry if my stab was taken so seriously .. I will try to behave :whistle:

oh yea and like I said

Eh, for the hell of it. Pregnant wife in front and Me in the back. She was about 3 weeks along..... had no idea

Leigh_Palomar_10-10-10-3.jpg

Leigh_Palomar_10-10-10-3.jpg

well its about 25 miles away so its rather frequented. That was her first time up it and if I had hair, it would be gray.

Eh, for the hell of it. Pregnant wife in front and Me in the back. She was about 3 weeks along..... had no idea

View attachment 211250

And just how long had she been pregnant Keven, about 20 minutes? :whistle:

You best be careful there young man that girl is looking good. She'll be kickin your butt if you don't stay busy! :beerchug:

I know it makes you feel proud when your woman can hang with the guys like that! :thumbsup:

To answer the original question.... I like my chicken strips just fine.

But on the same note I do not have full leathers or any riding gear that would assist me in the ability to drag a knee. So I think that is what keeps my butt in the seat. However I did come close once on the free way coming into a turn that I was unprepared for(140 mph, dawn), after that incident I practice getting low and controling the bike at varying speeds without putting my knee down. I would like one of these days to go to a trainer or one of those schools that teach you how to race. Maybe by then I will have a track bike and wont feel so worried about dropping the buss.

You only get your knee down for the first time, ONCE!

And it's a joyful occasion that everyone wants to experience. One worthy of comparison to the first time you saw your wife/girlfriend/mistress/cousin in her underwear, "Memorable"! :thumbsup:

The knee puck is a very valuable asset during agressive cornering. It is indeed a very accurate means of judging your lean angle. I personally don't drag my knee throughout the corner. Once it has done its job, I pick it up slightly. The dang things wear out quickly if you drag them continuously.

If you are serious about learning proper technique (No matter how many miles you have under your belt) hook up with a riding coach/instructor and he will make the process much shorter and more benificial by keeping you from developing bad habits.

Everyone should get at least one day of instruction every season. The more you learn and the sharper your skills the safer you will be! And,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, the more enjoyable the ride :beerchug:

I've been wanting to. Just a chicken. Need the track though, I refuse to try on the street. To afraid of hurting someone. Great info thanks for sharing.

i need to get used to the amount of brute power before i try to learn to finesse it into a knee drag.. its a beast of a machine, and i dont mind tellin ya'll that it's just a little scary to me yet... i must respect the beast in order to conquer the beast! once i get a comfort level worthy, i will attempt to drag knee- hope i can find a decent coach first...:rulez:

Back