How Do You Spot an Ex-Track Bike ???

OneTrueRider

Registered
I'm interested in buying a used bike to become a hobby/track bike. There are lots of bikes for sale with low miles. I would like to find one that someone bought and decided it was too uncomfortable or expensive to keep.

But with the talk on here about running it with generic fairing and then slapping the factory fairing back on it to sell, I am concerned about unknowingly buying a bike that someone else may have raced or abused.

What are some things I should look for ? ???

You never know for sure with a used bike. This bike was underwater for a few hours before it was pulled out. The Busa Bash crew had the thing running tip top before the end of the day.

k1873.jpg

There is a big difference in a RACE bike over a bike that someone has done a few track days on. Actually, a bike that does a track day now and then probably runs better than the bike with big chicken strips on the rear tire.

Like Outlaw says, a race bike will be full of drilled safety wire holes.

However, if you are looking for a track bike only, a fully functional race bike can many times be purchased for much less money than a clean street bike and it already has all the fun stuff on it!

That's one way to drain the fuel/water out~!~

ps:::if you see the gas tank full of fish, there's something else to the story :whistle:

Like the others have said, wire holes. Usually on the oil bolt and pinch bolts. Stock plastics (shape they're in), if they used race plastics, they'll disconnect all the lights. Check to see if all the electrical is working.

There are alot of track bikes that have less miles on them than those used as a daily rider. On top of this, track bikes if cared for properly, have their fluids changed more frequently.

As Tufbusa said, "a fully functional race bike can many times be purchased for much less money than a clean street bike and it already has all the fun stuff on it"!

Really????

Yep! Really!

He found himself entering a corner above his skill level and had no idea how to check his speed without crashing!

Braking is a learned skill that is overlooked way to often!

Last edited:
my busa has never been tracked but is safety wired. just saying. and yes I am the one who wired it.

I thought about bringing that up too, can be a good safety feature even on the road...but would be enough to ask a couple more questions for further knowledge if purchasing.

Yep! Really!
Hmm, I remember a completely different story back when you were friends with him. Something along the lines of cold tires and a low-side. Something that could have happened to anyone....

Hmm, I remember a completely different story back when you were friends with him. Something along the lines of cold tires and a low-side. Something that could have happened to anyone....

That's what happens when you listen to stories. You didn't hear that from me!

That's what happens when you listen to stories. You didn't hear that from me!
Actually, I think that was your explanation and I think it is pretty ****ty of you to be saying these things especially due to the fact that you were borrowing that exact bike just prior to the wreck.

Actually, I think that was your explanation and I think it is pretty ****ty of you to be saying these things especially due to the fact that you were borrowing that exact bike just prior to the wreck.

You've been smokin to much weed lately dude! As I remember the only conversation with you during that entire trip centered around your desire to get your knee down. I never spoke to you after that crash that I recall and I certainly never discussed his crash with you or anyone else!

I had nothing negative to say then and I have nothing negative to say now! Just the simply fact that his ambitions far exceeded his ability!

Here are some better pictures. After a spirited run through Hellbender, we all stopped at the CROT to take a break, bs, and look at other bikes. BrendanP and WarbirdII took off back up Hellbender and BrendanP came into the corner a little hot and the bike low-sided sliding straight off the road and landing in the creek. It was amazing that it made it all the way down without contacting anything except the water. It was presumed that the tires had not had enough time to heat up after we had all been sitting at the CROT thus loosing traction. Fortunately, BrendanP was just slightly bruised up. We zip tied his plastics back together, drained the water / oil and refilled it twice. The bike started right back up and it has ran fine ever since.

photo.jpg

photo(2).jpg

photo(3).jpg

photo(4).jpg

photo(5).jpg

photo(6).jpg

You've been smokin to much weed lately dude! As I remember the only conversation with you during that entire trip centered around your desire to get your knee down. I never spoke to you after that crash that I recall and I certainly never discussed his crash with you or anyone else!

I had nothing negative to say then and I have nothing negative to say now! Just the simply fact that his ambitions far exceeded his ability!
I don't do drugs, I have been know to throw back a few beers though :whistle:

Back