New brake lines and pads, waste of time $$

Mr. Critterdoc, your agressive tone coupled with your statement about your vast experience seem to reduce your credibility on this subject. Anyone that has ridden the stock Hayabusa hard enough in the heat to experience moderate to severe fade, understands the OEM shortcomings. Some may be happy with OEM braking for 100k miles, that is fine. Can we acknowledge that both perspectives are valid?
My Busa's brakes were highly modified because I'm heavy, I ride hard, and I want 2 finger pressure to remain the same all day. I don't care if you are Carlos Checa, you can't trump my personal experience with my motorcycle.
BTW, I suggest none of you should get personal, especially towards someone like Tufbusa......you have no idea whom you are talking about. Raydog

Er...Tufbusa was totally agreeing with the post I put up right before him, and my post replying to his was 100% total humour. I'm not sure how anyone could possibly think I was serious, but I apologise for the mistake.

wow ignorance is amazing... i have had my brakes fail on me from them getting too hot from braking hard without giving them time to cool down at all.. so u have alot to learn and need to ride more before u make judgments about anything without.. its always the people that say they been riding for all these number of years but yet they ride a 1980-90's sport bike and then jump on a busa and thinks its perfect,..... alot of upgrades from the **** ur use to but no where near perfect so maybe one day when u stop riding 50 in 6th gear u will understand... untill then stop making urself look like a complete idiot :moon:
Actually, I "jumped on a Busa" after a Ducati, but, as you say, I should stay quiet and listen to you. In future, I will be sure to be careful what I write, cos that way I won't "look like a complete idiot" the definition of which, apparently, is anyone who disagrees with you.

Last edited:
Actually, I "jumped on a Busa" after a Ducati, but, as you say, I should stay quiet and listen to you. In future, I will be sure to be careful what I write, cos that way I won't "look like a complete idiot" the definition of which, apparently, is anyone who disagrees with you.

Oh PLEASE!

This bike is better than anyone on this forum, and if you're using all of its muscle on the street, well, all I can say is I hope you rest in peace! I'll stick to anticipating dangerous situations and avoiding them before they happen. It's enabled me to stay riding for over 35 years and, even at 52, I can assure you I do NOT "just put put around."

All you blokes who want to spend a lot of money "upgrading" an already close to perfect bike have at it. It's your money and your bike. But this man changed to braided lines and thought it was a waste of time and money and shared his opinion with us. And because he bruised a few egos who disagree with him he's told he doesn't know how to bleed a line and/or he doesn't know how to ride?

Sheesh!

nothing else has to be said....i will just let u make ur own image age has nothing to do with experiences that people have had with their bikes...for the small 7 years ive been riding i have learned alot and been around alot of people and every single person that ive got to meet while riding that ever said their bike perfomance stock was perfect, ride their sport bikes like cruisers.. which there is nothing wrong with that but then when u do a upgrade ur not gonna be able to tell any difference until ur riding style changes... the few people that do ride hard will be able to tell a difference,

One large difference (and a safety concern) is riding double up through lots of very tight quick twisties...on the stock lines they tend to fade a large amount after a few miles until one turn when the brakes no longer seem to function nearly as much as you need them too.

Experience that feeling once, and once is all it'll take to upgrade~!~

Last edited:
Hey, bless you all, love to go riding with everyone. After I did pads, lines, levers, fluid, I then went with Braking rotors, I thought it made a big difference BUT they look so pretty, it may be a placebo effect! (you gotta do a scientifically based stopping test/comparison to really know). Raydog

Img_9227_Busa.jpg

vesrah pads

Put some EBC Extreme pro pads on it and you will notice a difference. And the steel lines keep them from fading when they get hot. With the stock lines the brakes will fade big time if you do a track day or go somewhere like the Deals gap and ride it hard for a while.

Busa's come stock with HH pads.

No kidding.

cheers
ken

mnnn...... popcorn....

I was about to say the same thing Ken, A lot of people might not realize that. It says it right on the back of them. :thumbsup:

Rainbow7, as a matter of fact, a Suzuki executive told me the exact same thing.....that "a softer brake is a brake that gets less people in trouble". Also, I did vote for Obama, does that mean I know nothing about motorcycles? Keep your politics down under, this is a "motorcycle related topics" only thread. Raydog

Really ??? You believe that? I guess keeping costs down have nothing to do with it?

One large difference (and a safety concern) is riding double up through lots of very tight quick twisties...on the stock lines they tend to fade a large amount after a few miles until one turn when the brakes no longer seem to function nearly as much as you need them too.

Very true, We had it happen at The Dragon last spring, One minute there was brakes and about 10 minutes later trying to chase Warbird 2 down we had NO brakes all of a sudden.:laugh:

I agree that the stock brake set up sucks for the aggressive rider. As Macon has said, stock brakes will fade under track conditions. My rotors have blued and I get vibration which is a little unnerving. New pads, lines, and possibly rotors are my next upgrade for my bike. Tuffbusa is pretty much a straight line guy so I don't know that his opinion counts :laugh:

You think that putting less than stellar brakes on the world's fastest production bike at the time is considered a safety initiative?

Ahh, one gentelmen with a brain in his head. The rest of you have fun bashing me with your,"percieved" braking prowess from spending your hard earned cash.

Thanks for the heads up. I have an 08 14 and an 08 busa. Brakes on the 14 are great but the busa's are quite adequate. Never had to grind to a stop with the rear wheel off the ground on the busa. The 14 will do it. Pretty amazing for a heavy bike. I haven't tried it on the busa yet.

Er...Tufbusa was totally agreeing with the post I put up right before him, and my post replying to his was 100% total humour. I'm not sure how anyone could possibly think I was serious, but I apologise for the mistake.

No Sir Pete, if anyone deserves an apology it's you! It was after I responded to your post that I realized you were poking fun at the amount of misleading information being posted. You have my humble apology. I am usually sharper than that but it was late and past my bedtime you know :-)

Upgrading pads and fluid will produce much better improvements on brake fade than does the lines. Although the lines will keep the lever a bit more firm during brake fade. Moisture in the fluid is a real problem thus the wet boiling point vs dry boiling point. New fluid at least once a year will help with that problem.

I agree that the stock brake set up sucks for the aggressive rider. As Macon has said, stock brakes will fade under track conditions. My rotors have blued and I get vibration which is a little unnerving. New pads, lines, and possibly rotors are my next upgrade for my bike. Tuffbusa is pretty much a straight line guy so I don't know that his opinion counts :laugh:

Hey, you big burley bruiser,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, you aren't any to big to get an arse whoopin! :poke:

Macon says so! :whistle:

Just ordered Galfer lines front and back for my '08, because there was a special on them... Should I change the pads at the same time, or should I keep the stock pads to feel the difference between the stages of the upgrade?

Also if you switched to a radial MC like the Brembo, remember to bleed at the caliper and at the MC up top. Otherwise you will pour bottles of expensive brake fluid through the system before you realize it is never going to firm up. Not saying how I learned that lesson:whistle:

So, my question to Tufbusa: How much difference do rotors really make on a mainly street ridden bike. I ride pretty hard but not crazy and I am a hefty fellow. I have Brembo MC, SS lines, EBC HH pads, stock calipers and stock rotors. No problems and the feel is amazing, but those rotars look cool and it's Christmas and all .......

You are absolutley correct about the Master Cylinder. A brembo MC will make a ton of difference. I saw a brand new brembo MC at the Motor Cycle Show on Saturday that is cool as heII. Has an adjustment on it that will regulate the amount of fluid flow thus changing the feel from one end of the spectrum to the other. $360 at the show.

Wave Rotors do look very cool. Adds bling to any wheel. However, for street riding they add very little to performance. They are made of the same Stainless Steel that your stock rotors are made of. The wave is a design created to improve cooling. Work well for track use but does little on the streets. Cast iron rotors are a real improvement in performance but spendy and short life. A waste of money unless you are racing professionally or simply have more money than you can spend else where.

Just ordered Galfer lines front and back for my '08, because there was a special on them... Should I change the pads at the same time, or should I keep the stock pads to feel the difference between the stages of the upgrade?

Steel Lines will give your lever a firmer feel if the system is bled properly. The way to improve initial bite is with upgraded pads.

For me, the EBC Extreme Pro pads have the best feel of any I have used. A bit spendy but well worth the extra cash if you like that nice smooth feel when you apply the brakes. Great for trail braking or doing nose wheelies.

I never put a steel line on the rear. I want the rear to be soft to the touch.

The real difference will be found if you start tracking your Busa. On the street, I suspect the difference is minor unless you are riding super-agressive. I know that changing my lines/pads on my trackbike Gixxer 1K gave me alot more confidence in it's braking ability, enough to put a set of lines/pads on my Busa also. The closer you get to the bikes' performance envelope, the more some of these changes have an effect.

ddd269, changing your pads would be better than changing the lines, but yes if you are gonna do one, go ahead and do the other while you are at it.

Why did Suzuki get the brakes so "right" on the BKing and not the Busa? Why don't they just put the same system on the Busa? My BKing will stop with two fingers easily, one if riding normally. I know mine say Nissin on them? Not sure what busa calipers say......or is it the master cylinder? Anyone know?

Back