anybody sample there motor oil ?

timsbusa

Registered
I have a new hayabusa with about 4000 miles on it.I had the motor oil checked at a 2000 mile oil change & it showed a positive fuel dilution all of the wear metals showed normal anybody out there ever sampled there oil.The only way that I see it getting into motor is from a injector fueling to much ? I'm a little confused ,looking for a place to start any suggestions.I forgot to mention the bike is getting around 45 miles to the gallon & exhaust has just a very very small amount of black when you check it?

Why do oil samples? Is it really worth it (price vs benefit)? First off, I would run at least 30 min. Sample should be taken hot within the first 5 min. after shutdown. I would think any fuel would have burned off by then. Also keep in mind that a new engine will have some blow by until the rings fully seat. How was the engine broken-in? I prefer a hard break-in personally. Rings need pressure to seat. Manufacturers' recommendations on break-in, I feel, are a little over conservative. From the sound of things, you may be looking a little too hard.

I have been sampling different oils for over 25 years & sampling oil is the only way to look inside a engine & see what is going on without tearing it down I would never dreamed that my bike had fuel dilution I figured that the wear metals would have been a little high I had just ridden the bike for over 30 minutes on interstate pulled into shop & dropped the oil. The engine burnt some oil at 600 miles about 12 oz. & since then I have had no oil consumption. I don't ride my bike easy I already need a back tire I love all that power. I am going to watch it close I am going to check it at 1000 miles & see what it shows ,so you think the rings are still seating I'll buy that how many miles do you think it will take

I have a new hayabusa with about 4000 miles on it.I had the motor oil checked at a 2000 mile oil change & it showed a positive fuel dilution all of the wear metals showed normal anybody out there ever sampled there oil.The only way that I see it getting into motor is from a injector fueling to much ? I'm a little confused ,looking for a place to start any suggestions.I forgot to mention the bike is getting around 45 miles to the gallon & exhaust has just a very very small amount of black when you check it?

I do, just for the fun of it.:laugh:

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/general-bike-related-topics/137813-results-oil-analysis.html

Fuel dilution below 2% will not damage your motor, but it's a good idea to find out why. What was the percentage?

It can be one of two things, either you are doing a lot of very short trips, or you have a faulty injector.

I don't know what percentage the fuel dilution is but I can tell you that a 40 wt. motor oil viscosity @ 100 degree C. the flow rate should run from a range of 12.50-16.29 my oil's viscosity was 10.06. I have talked to other friends that know more about this motor than I do & they all say that this engine has chrome moly rings & the cylinders are even harder with nickel so even though the wear metals on the cylinder was at 20ppm it is still breaking (100ppm or less is normal) in run it & keep a check on it thats what I'm going to do.I'll let you know what it's doing the next oil change ....Thanks

On the topic of oil.... I just bought some Ipone 10w40 oil...it came highly recommended by my dealer, anyone using this oil and any pros or cons about it?

I don't know what percentage the fuel dilution is but I can tell you that a 40 wt. motor oil viscosity @ 100 degree C. the flow rate should run from a range of 12.50-16.29 my oil's viscosity was 10.06. I have talked to other friends that know more about this motor than I do & they all say that this engine has chrome moly rings & the cylinders are even harder with nickel so even though the wear metals on the cylinder was at 20ppm it is still breaking (100ppm or less is normal) in run it & keep a check on it thats what I'm going to do.I'll let you know what it's doing the next oil change ....Thanks

Most likely that was not fuel dilution. The oil just sheared down to a 30 weight.

On the topic of oil.... I just bought some Ipone 10w40 oil...it came highly recommended by my dealer, anyone using this oil and any pros or cons about it?

Is it expensive?

gas_prices.jpg

About 10 dollars a quart but if it's good oil price really isn't an option for me. He told me to stay away from synthetic....thoughts?

Back