If you've been in an accident with your bike...

Have been in a couple;1st one broke my right femur in 5 places and was riding again with the splint still on(bike was fixed within 2 weeks).

IMG_0186.jpg

2nd took a little longer(and stung a bit more than the first:laugh:),broke my pelvis/nose/left hand(perm. nerve damage)/ruptured bladder/broken teeth and 30 stitches across forehead(even with a full Shoei!)/hole through left shin/etc.,etc.,etc(and totaled out my '02 Busa).Spent 2 months in the hospital flat on my back(external fixator)and took a while to get moving again,used some insurance money to buy the '03 i have now.

IMG_0191.jpg

I was a little cautious for a while(neither accident was my fault)but never thought for a minute about giving up riding(started 40 years ago when i was 17,and i figure 2 crashes in 40 years ain't all that bad:laugh:).**** happens,comes with the territory.:thumbsup:

IMG_0187.jpg

My current '03 that i bought new after the accident with a few mods over the last 7 years(i can still get after it pretty good for an old geezer:laugh:).

IMG_0225-2.jpg

You'll be fine.:beerchug:

PS...this was caused from my crotch hitting the tank(car pulled out in front of me and T-boned it at 60 mph,then went 90' through the air and landed on my face...witnesses said i looked just like Evel Knievel),nuts swelled up big as soft balls so if you see you're going in for a hit like i took...JUMP!

IMG_0188.jpg

I T boned a buick la saber at 55 mph.. it really sucks.. I broke my wrist and arm bone .. flew over the car and broke my fall with my face ( had a helmet on ) my nuts didnt get it but my knee cought something and ripped it wide open so you could see the bone.. I beleave now after seeing your pic's I got lucky.. I spun the buick around.. I just cought the the rear quarter panel..
Women ran a stop sign.. case is still going on..

how long ago did that happen?? mine took just shy of three years to settle

Mine took less than a year,called Larry H. Parker right from my hospital bed.:laugh:

Got $275,000 but had to pay the hospital $120,000(negotiated down from $240,000)and Parker took his 1/3 rd(around $92,000),after paying a few other misc. bills i ended up with around $55,000...enough for a new bike,dive gear,teeth,etc.

From my experience, you learn quite a bit from going down on a busa. I ride different, safer, even slow down through intersections expecting the driver in front of me to be on a real important phone call.

In the end, the busa is a heavy bike, with an average braking system. Ride safe, I hope you go ride today!

I T boned a buick la saber at 55 mph.. it really sucks.. I broke my wrist and arm bone .. flew over the car and broke my fall with my face ( had a helmet on ) my nuts didnt get it but my knee cought something and ripped it wide open so you could see the bone.. I beleave now after seeing your pic's I got lucky.. I spun the buick around.. I just cought the the rear quarter panel..
Women ran a stop sign.. case is still going on..

Face broke my fall also,witnesses behind me said i went about 6' in the air on the 1st bounce.If not for that helmet i'da been belly up for sure,still took a great plastic surgeon to put my nose back together and stitch up my forehead so you can't see any scars(my nose is actually straight now and looks better than before the crash,in one of my earlier parking lot scuffles[from way back,i'm too old for that **** now:laugh:]i weaved when i should have bobbed and my opponent plastered it to the left side of my face...looked like hell for years but was great for smellin' around left corners:laugh:).

In my situation,$275K was the max i could get,dude was out here on vacation in a rental car and took out an additional $250K policy over the standard $25K that came with the car(according to Parker the dude didn't own squat so there was no need to tie up a suit for years).Should it ever happen again,i'm hoping for a drunk doctor in a Mercedes/talking on a cell phone...i'd like to retire:laugh:).

I got cut off at an intersection doing about 55-60 mph. I went down and slid like 40 feet. didnt have anything broken, but i looked like a raw hamburger patty for the next month and a half. It happened the beginning of last sept. and i got the insurance check in late oct. and thats when i got the busa. Wasnt really hesitant bout getting back on

I live out in the country with sugar sand roads, November 20,2009 about dark thirty I was coming down my road all of a sudden this dam coyote come running out of the woods and we collide $4,200.00 damage to the Busa.

Picture 003.jpg

Picture 004.jpg

Picture 005.jpg

I had a truck pull out on the hwy crossing both East bound lanes, nothing I could do... I went through the drivers window hit the driver with my helmet, my legs and back were still outside the truck and they went up in the air, I pivoted on the top if the truck with my back and that momentum of my legs pulled my upper body out of the truck and I did a little flippy in the air. I landed on the top of the truck and witnesses said I slid down and hit the ground like a slug, the bike was stuck in the side of the truck until the driver took his foot off the brake and the bike dislodged. The bike fell over on top of me.... People were pulling the bike off in seconds... I don't remember anything past the initial wham until sometime in the ambulance almost to the hospital, I woke up to sirens....

I ended up with 3 broken cervical vertabrae and T8 broken in my back.. Some scarring on my face and arms....

The insurance company settled on the bike in about 4 weeks, the medical in about 6 months and the pain and suffering went all the way to the limit... I made the best decision I could because I did not retain an attorney but was able to max out the insurance policy....

My wife bought me the new busa while I was out on a business trip. She said she didn't want me to not get another bike because of her fear of me crashing. To be honest I wasn't sure I wanted another bike, nothing like almost losing your life to have a change in personal lifestyle.

When I went and picked up the new bike I drove from the dealership to the place I crashed. I drove the exact lane, speed, and direction at least 10 times just to get it over with. I did this for about 20 minutes... I went home and thanked my wife and told her I would be careful...

Was I more cautious after the crash ABSOLUTELY! I look for everything now, no time to look at other things, I am usually single focused on riding now....

I still reflect back but the crash also challenged me and that is why I started doing track days.. I am a better rider and I pay more attention now than before...

Good luck to all of you...

cap

Last edited:
I'm still sketchy going around blind corners after crashing to avoid a F150 hitting me head on in my lane.

I hit this and won. I totalled the truck, bent the frame. I was on my HD Road glide. The glide still ran afterwards and could've been ridden if not for the flat front tire and twisted frontend.

555381538_1967286238_0.jpg

Is it normal to be a bit anxious getting back on the bike, after being in an accident?

My bike will be ready mid week, Im excited but also dont know if to get back to riding it like I did, or park it for a while.

The car in front of me got cut off, and I tried to avoid the accident but grazed her rear bumper and hit the pavement and slid a bit. The car that caused it took off.

It was deemed my fault for following too close, I can accept that.

I got a better exhaust on the bike now (m4's) and got an undertail eliminator plus integrated tail lights.

I'm off on Saturday, and I ride with a group, should I skip it or what?

Really undecided at this point.

If you can admit you made a mistake, you will be a better rider for it. i wrecked a bunch of times and got back on it, and the times it was my mistake I vowed not to make it again and rode on.

Back