Whose from Tacoma, WA area?

Elvorin

Registered
Is there anyone from Tacoma, WA area?

I might have landed a job at Tumwater, near Tacoma. So if everything goes fine, I might be moving there soon. Just wondering if anyone is from there, then I can use some suggestion on finding a decent apartment to stay.

Rest, please let me know what would be the best option for me to get all my household stuff, my bike and my car hauled over there. Rent a UHaul with a trailer and put both bike and car in and drive there? Any idea on how much total it might cost me?

I just moved my parents cross country to Seattle,about the same distance you are doing. The cheapest way to get everything there was a Penske Truck towing a car hauler behind it. That was less than 4K in total G/F/L and truck cost.

The other options less vehicle transport started at 4K.

okay. I'll then rent from them. Will a 14' truck be sufficient? I dont have much furniture as of now.

Now about securing the bike inside the truck. What should I purchase or rent and how do I use it? I'm, what you call, a total noob about bikes. So any detailed explanation will be really helpful and appreciated.

I would price the larger size compared to smaller size. Diesel 22' actually was cheaper by the time you bought the difference in fuel needed.

There are tie down rails all along the box of the truck. I used a boxed up mattress with blankets for protection and tied it into the rail against the mattress. Rode just fine for 3000 miles. Use ratcheting starps with rubberized (protected) handles.

Oh and get a car hauler (all wheels off the ground) not a Tow Dolly.

Thanks TallTom. I just took a quote from Penske for a 16' truck with a full car hauler (4 wheels off ground) and couple of boxes, and blankets...plus full insurance and tax it's coming to like a little over $2600.

How long does it take to drive there? Google map is saying 2 days exactly. So I'm guessing with sleep, breaks and fuel stops, its gonna take 2.5 days or so? My longest drive so far is from Jax, FL to Chicago, IL. Did it in 16-18 hours. But that's on my Mustang, doing over 100 sometimes. On truck obviously it's gonna be below speed limits. Just trying to get an idea how long it might take.

2 Days?!!? Dude I just did 2500 miles. 4 days was a doable but it was long days. 5 would have been better. The trucks are governed at 70M.P.H.. They pull grade at about 25-40 depending on grade. You will have grade from about Idaho on.

Call the local place you intend on picking up from. Talk to the manager of that location. Tell him times are tough. It is for them also. I would not be surprised if you could get that number down to less than $2000, probably more like the $1750 range.

My 1-800 Penske prices was $2150. I got with the local man at the pick-up and got it out the door with taxes at $1180. But you have to be ready to put up when he does it. Don't waste his time, but he can give you very good price breaks. Gas ran $1400 to go cross country. F/L was 800. But I was staying at decent hotels. You can save some there with Motel 6 and Bologna Sandwiches if you want.....lol

Oh, I dont have 5 days to drive it. I have to drive it as much as I can. Google map shows it's 2902 miles, approx. I guess I see a lot of redbull consumption soon in my life. :) I might just pull over in rest areas and sleep in the truck itself. I donno. Will be on a very strict schedule to take a lot of rest.
by the way, am i required to pull over in those truck weighing areas by highways?

about bargaining price, thanks for the tip. seems you got a really good deal. I just suck at bargaining, but i'll definitely give it a shot. :)

No you don't have to pull lover at weigh stations.

You can do it in 4 -5 days. But yes they will be LONG days. Make as good a time as you can to Idaho, because the mountains will reel in some time.

hopefully i'll be stationed at ft. lewis soon, maybe i'll get a riding buddy out of it.

I would love to have a regular riding group...though I enjoy riding by myself also... I'm still waiting for confirmation on my new job... the most difficult part (other than hauling this far) is finding a place to rent in short time ... but if what I heard is true, donno how much time people get per year to ride from so much rain there ... hopefully not much.

Oh by the way, to tie the bike securely, do I need to buy those "ratcheting starps with rubberized (protected) handles" (not sure what this thing is either :( ) or the penske rental place can provide me some?

get the special handlebar straps. they're awesome. they hook onto the ends of the handlebars.

Those straps are called 'Canyon Dancer' straps. And using your rear stand, the Canyon Dancer and some decent come-along straps you should be fine. Chock the front end, too.

Penske IS the way to go. If you can get a turbo-diesel it will be some much easier.

I am going to check tomorrow for you for a place with a garage in Tumwater that might be better suited than having to park the Busa outside. I have a couple of friends in the area.

What is your budget, if you can say here, Elvorin? If not, PM me.

These ratchet style straps work great. I have a set and I wouldn't be without them or the Canyon Dancer when transporting a bike.

Amazon.com: Grip 4 Piece 1-Inch x 15-Foot Ratchet Tie Down Set: Sports & Outdoors
5159H9FADDL._SS500_.jpg

I really appreciate all your help guys. It's really nice of you.

I just had a quick look at the apartments from that link and I must say 'I likey' :) The 1 bedrooms are within my budget. I personally like a nice neighborhood with greens, preferably a gated apartment complex. A little bit of drive to work is fine by me as long as the place I live is really nice.

Will any local store have those 'handlebar/Canyon Dancer straps'? I'm kinda apprehensive purchasing online, coz they take sooo long to reach. But if no other option, I'll order one asap.

Again I must say I really appreciate all your help.

Your arrival in Western Washington in the fall is not good timing for good riding weather. November is the heaviest rain of the season and it doen't get much better in Dec. Jan with Feb becoming a bit dryer but colder. So don't look for good riding weather until April. However, the summers here is unbeatable!

I live near Tumwater and about 25 miles from Ft. Lewis.

@TufBusa: Yeah I heard about the weather. Anyway due to some paperwork issue I cant ride my bike right now. About moving this time, wasnt really my option. Job is taking me there. So I guess I'll sigh for few more months looking at my Busa.

@Orge: Okay, then I'll order it online as soon as I can. Max 1.5 weeks should be enough to get it delivered after purchase. Right?

With some cold weather gear it's easy to ride all year long here. You'll have some great rodes near your new stomping grounds. Welcome to the PNW!

Today's weather and forecast:

seattle weather.PNG

Back