ADDING A SWITCH FOR THE HID

ICEMANN

Registered
For those looking to add an on/off switch for thier HID lights, indiglo guages, or any other electronic device that needs an on/off switch......

If you dont want to cut your painted inner pannels, or if you feel that you want a more stock looking switch....

If you do not have 2004 and above....

then here is a possible solution to a problem..

In the right and left switch assemblies on the handle bars there is a flat spot on the top above the on/off high/low beam switch. On the 2004's thiers a push to pass button there.

If you goto radio shack and get a blue based, single pole, toggle switch..

part #275-635.

275_635.jpg

No if you take the two screws out that hold the switch assebly to the handle bars. You can now lift the two halves of the switch assembly and work from there. No need to completely remove them unless your skills are soft.

If you look at the underside of the top half above the on/off switch or high/low beam switch you will see a space just made perfect for the switch to fit in. You will need to drill a small hole in the top of the platics of the switch harness for the switch toggle to fit into.

Solder some wire to the toggle switch first. Then either add some hot candle wax over the solder or tape it to prevent a short if it were to touch the handle bar.

Now radio shack sells a "rubber" weather protectant cover that slides over the toggle and with a built in nut, tightens up on the switch. Place the switch into the hole into position. From the outside slide the rubber cover over the switch and tighten it down. This will cover the toggle and pinch it onto the housing keeping it in place.

Route your wires out of the switch assembly following to stock wire path. I personally would use a relay but attach it to what ever and "WALA" a stock looking thumb access switch. Put one on both sides if ya want.

MVC_038F.JPG

Nice idea dude...would like to do that for the HID....

Wouldn't you have to have some pretty hardcore wire to make it work for the HID units??

nope look close. Basic speaker wire. Use a relay on the HID power so the switch actually never sees much juice.

jD

can you please tell me the part # of the rubber switch protector. i went to radio shack and got the switch, but when i asked about the protector, all i got was the blankest look i have ever seen. thanks

Hey ICE, Do you have a wiring schematic for installing the relay? I am looking to switch power for radar detector & xm radio, then also a switch for the HID kit of yours and indiglo gauges. I'm ok with a soldering iron but not as smart as I could be with wiring, so any help you can send would be greatly appreciated.
cool.gif

rkrugly, The part # for:

RADIO SHACK MINI TOGGLE SWITCH RUBBER CAP FITS THREADED SIZES 6mm diameter x 0.75 pitch PKG pf 2 one red one black PART # 275-1596.

iceman, thank you for the quick reply on the protector part #. i always find your posts most informative. thanks again.

no need for a relay, the switch is rated at 6 amps, the HID unit draws less than 5 amps, and a 16 guage wire will handle up to 10 amps

just my .02

<!--EDIT|fritch1969
Reason for Edit: "typo"|1142377312 -->

Id agree except Id much rather change a relay then fugg with the switch in the space it's in. Saftey factor only.

JD

Hello JD, I did his mod on my Busa, works great. Followed JD's diagram to the letter, perfect as usual. Also get his yellow bulb for the high beam really compliments the HID. Thanks again JD. Take care.

<!--EDIT|BusaWizard
Reason for Edit: None given...|1142466192 -->

Yes, they work just fine. Tried looking up the part no. for the sw. caps on Radio Shacks web site doesn't show a listing. 275-1596. Went to the store they didn't know about it either.

Back