Whats a TRE?

moloko

Banned
You guys might find this funny, I sure did.

I have a GiPro ATRE on my bike. It's an unrestricted '99 I just use it for the gear indicator.

My girlfriends dad was checking the bike out and points (like everyone does) and asks, "what is that" I tell him it's a gear indicator.

He asks what the ATRE printed on it means. I tell him it's ?anti? I really don't know what the A stands for, timing retard eliminator, and jokingly (my GF is standing right there) he says, oh... so that's why Stacey (my GF) won't ride with you on this bike. :rofl:

Last edited:
A= advanced, to disntinguish it from "earlier/older" TRE's.

Last edited:
:rofl:

wm_normal_post-12-58329-tre.jpg

SHeesh, everyone's a commedian ???
A.T.R.E. = Advanced Timing Retard Eliminator
On some Suzuki's including the busa, when the bike is in the first 4 gears, the timing is slightly retarded to make the bike's power more manageable. In 6th gear (on restricted bikes), the timing is used to limit the top speed to 187mph. Only 5th gear has unmolested timing. A TRE makes the onboard computer believe that the bike is in 5th gear all the time thereby ensuring you always have the best timing. The onboard computer also adjusts the timing when the bike is in neutral to idle more smoothly (I think?). An Advanced TRE can sense neutral and adjust the output to the onboard computer to match if I understand things correctly.

Anybody who knows better, please feel free to jump in.

erm... yeah.

Thanks for the info!!!

But the point wasn't really about the A in ATRE or even what a TRE is. I know what it is. lol

It's funny cuz I said 'blah blah, retard eliminator' and he said 'so, that's why she won't ride with you.' :rofl:

so if he thinks his daughter is a retard, i wonder if her dating you made him think that???
:rofl: was funny storie

so if he thinks his daughter is a retard, i wonder if her dating you made him think that???
:rofl: was funny storie

haha, prolly.

Nah, we get along really well. Old skool vintage HD rebuilder, collector. Just bought a couple Honda's (his first import bikes ever I think) and man he LOVES 'em. I let 'em ride the 'Busa and he was incredibly impressed.

Last edited:
Back