Cornering

I just purchased a 2004 black and purple Hayabusa busa 1 week ago. I also have a 2002 GSXR 1000 which I have been riding for years. I feel pretty comfortable on the bigger busa and have been riding in the Colorado mountains with her. I have noticed when I lean her over it feels like the handle bars want to collapse or tank slap. I am wondering about picking up an aftermarket steering damper or is there an adjustment that we can do to the stock one. Any suggestions? Thank you, Phil.

The Q2s will do you proud...

Barber061.jpg

Barber051.jpg

Barber050.jpg

I just purchased a 2004 black and purple Hayabusa busa 1 week ago. I also have a 2002 GSXR 1000 which I have been riding for years. I feel pretty comfortable on the bigger busa and have been riding in the Colorado mountains with her. I have noticed when I lean her over it feels like the handle bars want to collapse or tank slap. I am wondering about picking up an aftermarket steering damper or is there an adjustment that we can do to the stock one. Any suggestions? Thank you, Phil.

Several good styles and brands of aftermarket dampners to choose from. But you can change to a heavier weight of oil in the stock one first, to see if that helps the problem you're having. There are a few threads on the "how to" also, it's pretty simple.

For some reason I don't feel very comfy dragging my knee on the busa. I know it could be in my mind, but I am affaraid front or rear will break lose. I do track days, but still have 0.75" of chicken strip there, just can't force myself to lean more. I use BT-016 front and rear, better then stock but doesn't give me that much confidence....:(
Any advice anyone????

Last edited:
I find the Busa to be ridiculously easy to throw around, but maybe that's because I used to use my old 850 guzzi with a 110/18 rear tire as my track day bike.

For some reason I don't feel very comfy dragging my knee on the busa. I know it could be in my mind, but I am affaraid front or rear will break lose. I do track days, but still have 0.75" of chicken strip there, just can't force myself to lean more. I use BT-016 front and rear, better then stock but doesn't give me that much confidence....:(
Any advice anyone????

Dont force it and take your time. If you are riding on the track, get a coach to follow you and figure out what you are doing. You can also follow a coach and stay on their line, at their speed. The bike will do it, but dont force something you dont feel comfortable with.

Done that...alot:laugh: and still don't like the Bridgestone Battlecrap tire, I'm glad they're long gone. Gonna try the Dunlop Q2's next.

Happy to see you on Q2's, my favorite street tire!

However, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a bridgestone (It's okay to not like something for no apparent reason) but if you can't romp a bridgestone you will do no better on a Q2.

Any advice anyone????

Your BT016 will do just fine for intermediate track day use and you can lean them all the way to the edge "IF" you have proper throttle control. Cornering is all about throttle.

Your busa wanting to fall on it's face and feeling unstable has nothing to do with the damper. It's in your bikes geometry. My guess is the previous owner raised the rear or lowered the front? Just a hunch.

Swingarm angle is among the most important aspects of the suspension which no one seems to address!

Find yourself a trackside suspension guru to check your suspension and see where it's at. If you can get it back to stock, that's the proper place to start. Adding an aftermarket damper is a bandaid masking the problem. IMO 90w in your stock damper is never a good idea! Simply my opinion so those of you who have made this change, don't get your panties in a wad! :poke:

Happy to see you on Q2's, my favorite street tire!

However, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a bridgestone (It's okay to not like something for no apparent reason) but if you can't romp a bridgestone you will do no better on a Q2.

I could actually do pretty good on the Bridgestones. For whatever reason, I could just never get any confidence in them, not just on the Busa either.
They always seemed to wobble and dance through every corner, no matter how I made air pressure or suspension adjustments.:dunno:
I'm on my 2nd set of Pilot Powers now(on a tight bike budget, they've been performance enough for what I can afford, although I know I need better) they are ok, but I can easily outride the tire's capabilities, maybe that's why I'm confident in them...to a point. I know what I can get away with, where I just never could trust the Bridgestones to push them any further.
I'm gonna buy the Q2s next as their prices have gotten much more reasonable/affordable lately.
And from another thread, I want some elbow dragging advice:laugh: At 5'10", I don't think I can pull it off on the Busa.

I have a set of Michelin Pilot 2 tires on my Busa and with a bit of practice I have narrowed the chicken strips right down, vs my old GSX750ES (that had Bridgestone Battleaxe tires on it) the Busa is a tad less apt to dive into corners but holds a line extremely well in the corners. I plan to install a set of rear suspension raising links from Lust Racing on her as all my research indicates that this will give my 6 foot 6 body a better riding position as well as improve the front end feel and cornering characteristics.
A retired racer once told me do not roll onto the throttle in a corner until you are sure you wont have to roll off it again.

And Brother I got out of the service some years ago, and just let me say Welcome back Troop !

Last edited:
I plan to install a set of rear suspension raising links from Lust Racing on her as all my research indicates that this will give my 6 foot 6 body a better riding position as well as improve the front end feel and cornering characteristics.

Raising the rear does indeed change the handling characteristics of the bike, especially when entering a corner. Raising the rear of a bike has an affect on two aspects of the bike that will be most noticeable.

1. Trail: Raising the rear results in reducing "Trail". When trail is reduced the result is quicker tip in at the cost of stability. The bike becomes more twitchy and sensitive to steering input.

2. Swingarm angle: When the swingarm angle is increased or decreased this changes the chain pull which will either increase or decrease anti-squat. Place the front of the bike against an immovable object and ease the clutch out at 25% throttle and feel the bike lift in the back. Swingarm angle is built into the bike's geometry from the factory to make it behave more favorably under throttle which becomes most noticeable at deep lean angles.

There are no free rides when changing the suspension geometry. When you gain something in one area you are giving up something in another area. Best advise: When making these decisions be sure to understand what you are giving up in return for what you gain!

welcome and thanks for your service also. I'm new to the busa also, only about a year of riding it. I also came from a 1994 GSXR1100. so I experienced a weight loss. I mainly ride back roads and enjoy the twisties. nothing crazy but just appreciate the turns a bit. I feel I have as much confidence on the busa as I do on the 1100 and I ride that hung hard in the turns (for my ability at least). once I get my preferred tire on the busa I'll start having some real confidence in the cornering abilities...

Raising the rear does indeed change the handling characteristics of the bike, especially when entering a corner. Raising the rear of a bike has an affect on two aspects of the bike that will be most noticeable.

1. Trail: Raising the rear results in reducing "Trail". When trail is reduced the result is quicker tip in at the cost of stability. The bike becomes more twitchy and sensitive to steering input.

2. Swingarm angle: When the swingarm angle is increased or decreased this changes the chain pull which will either increase or decrease anti-squat. Place the front of the bike against an immovable object and ease the clutch out at 25% throttle and feel the bike lift in the back. Swingarm angle is built into the bike's geometry from the factory to make it behave more favorably under throttle which becomes most noticeable at deep lean angles.

There are no free rides when changing the suspension geometry. When you gain something in one area you are giving up something in another area. Best advise: When making these decisions be sure to understand what you are giving up in return for what you gain!

Tuf we had this "debate" before and it was the first time you called me stupid (however it was far from the last). The 08+ Busa comes with too little weight on the front of the bike. Raising the bike 1" "fixes" the handling and makes the front feel more planted. The bike tracks better and corners better too. I got this idea from an article in Bike magazine - so this is not a garage mechanic's opinion. For me the difference was very dramatic.

Back