Gen 1 Hardbag mounting options

tedbull

Registered
I have been searching on this forum and others and It seems like the only aftermarket bolt on rack for side luggage is SW-Motech. Their rack looks like it is real nice for sure, But it sticks off the bike much further than it needs to I think. I would not want to cut and weld on a new $235 dollar rack. Is there any other rack out there that holds the bags closer to the bike? I will not be using a topcase and my wife will be on the back with her corbin seat and backrest. I would use beetle bags if I could find a set for $600. I have cortech soft bags but they are not ideal. Really looking to get a side rack with hard bags. I will go with the SW-Motech if I have no other options. Let me know.

SW-motech rack with 21L givi bags. It looks like the rack could be 2" or more closer to the bike to minimize the overall width.
swmotechwithgivibags.jpg

I have read thur both those threads already. Question still stands. Does any other company make a side rack for the busa that holds the hard bags closer to the bike than the SW-Motech ones. I have seen the K-Wing and they do not look any better. The corbins are out unless someone has a set of black ones in great condition shipped to my house for $600. What are my options?

Don't know if this will help, but back in 99 - 2000 Givi made a set of racks for the Busa. I went back to the original board and did a search and found this picture. The reason Givi quit making the racks for the Busa is because of the cracked sub frame issues. Some of the guys may remember that being a pretty big issue on the early models. They did revise the sub-frame in 2001, but by that time Givi had already pulled their racks from the market and as far as I know they never sold them again. The do exist if you can find a set, and I don't think they stuck out near as far as the one you have pictured.

wm_normal_post-6-74427-left_side_givi_mount.jpg

RSTRICK is right Givi discontinued the kit for the busa. I was able to find one someone built from an existing Givi mount that looks factory. While not the factory one, it looks pretty close to the one pictured and fits much close than the one pictured. Sadly, I've never bought a set of bags to go with it.

I did a little more research for ya, see the pictures. I could not find a pic of the bike with just the racks installed, but look at these and know that the rack in the first post attached to the points on the bike.

busa-givi.jpg

busa-givi2.jpg

busa-givi3.jpg

I think mine is closer than that. I know it looks better! :) I've got some pictures, I'll see if I can dig them up.

To correct myself, the rack on the bike may have been sold by motohaus, for Givi luggage, I just can't remember for sure. The point is racks are out there, if you can find them, I will keep my eyes open and if I locate one I will glad to let you know.

Found them. The rear crossover bar looks close to the tire but that is an extended swingarm and is about 3.5 inches over in the picture. I'm sorry the pics are not any better than this.

Giviside.jpg

Givirear.jpg

IMG_4134.jpg

"Professor" sent me the rack pictured above in this thread so I could try it out and buy it if it works. I got it mounted and I think it will work well. By the way "Professor" is a stand up guy, real pleasure to do business with. The rack he sent me is a original GIVI rack, they were recalled when the swingarms were failing on the early bikes but this one did not make it back. The guy I talked to at givi was suprised I had it and said it should be fine but he could not say more than that due to laibilty. Anyways it sits nice and close to the bike. It looks like the bags might sit forward and get in the way of my wifes legs but I will not know untill I get some bags mounted to it.

I am looking at getting givi E-360 bags or Givi keyless bags. There are some that I am looking at but they may be sold already but I have first chance at them if the other guy backs out. Another person by me has them for sale but she wants more than they cost new so i am waiting to see if she will give me a deal. There is a set on ebay but it is more than I have to pay. If anyone has a pari of E-360 cases or keyless cases for sale let me know.

Thanks.... Ted

I just did a week long trip on my busa using the sw-motech system with the givi E360 bags. worked very well, very high quality system. the only problem i had was my exhaust (factory) was touching the bags just slightly. i dremeled the exhaust hanger a little and pushed them down to about 1/4 inch clearance and it worked awesome.

my purchase was through twisted throttle.com. pretty good folks to deal with.

Sure is alot of nice givi setups posted above, And alot of nice bikes as well. I am no longer interested in Beetle bags. I am going to use the rack that "professor" sent me and find a set of used bags off craigslist. I have been using TwistedThrottle.com as a resource of information and their prices seem very good. I would consider buying new from them if money was of no concern. I would like to find a good deal on some used E41 keyless cases but I think they are out of my price range. The E360 look a little more rugged and secure so that is what I will probably end up with. My bike is slowly becoming a grandpa bike as my co-workers now call it since it is set up more for touring and has the taller windscreen, bar risers, mirror spacers, rear corbin with backrest, and now a rack and soon to be saddlebags.

I bought a set of givi Keyless E41 cases off ebay. They should arive soon. I will post pics when I get them.

I got my bags. Here are some pics of them mounted up on the GIVI rack. The bags are GIVI Keyless bags. They mount very easy and quick. One case can hold two full face helmets. The rack holds everything close to the bike. The bags are a little close to the rear passenger pegs, I cannot fold them up or down with the bags attached. My wifes feet barley fit on the pegs with bags on, I will have to modify them somehow.

hayabusagivisaddlebags001.jpg

hayabusagivisaddlebags002.jpg

hayabusagivisaddlebags003.jpg

hayabusagivisaddlebags004.jpg

hayabusagivisaddlebags005.jpg

hayabusagivisaddlebags006.jpg

hayabusagivisaddlebags007.jpg

treehouseandhayabusa032.jpg

Back