Did it the first time

B-12

Registered
Hello
im reading a lot here , and now i would like to tell my experience of first time at the track. And thank you for all the good advice i found here :beerchug::bowdown:
This weekend i registred for a test and tune session.....and went there.
It s the weekend before the nitolympics in germany , and one of the few posibilitys to ride a bike (cars are more often)

Oh my god i was so nervous......seeing all the bikes and drivers

And me with my "stock" among the SSB....like a litle schoolboy.
But all theese guys were nice and helpfull with advice , and talking to me to bring me down a little , taking my flurry a bit away.

IT WAS GREAT :cheerleader::cheerleader:

I had 12 runs and 6 in the high 10 and 6 in low 11

The facts :
shortbike with Superbikebar (first mistake)
but a good stock engine , (small airboxmod,K&N , complete Akra line, g-pack with a good mapping and 17-42 gearing
nothing else than.
Gregs great shift-launch light which helped me a lot (launchlight i didnt use cause i was always to nervous , but shiftlight at 10.500 was perfect for my timing)
used Pilot Power , finished for street......mistake ????
my weight 170lb

I need a bit advice of you.... telling what i did , because i think i made some mistakes , in playing around to much.
So here how it was............

First run ever a nice 11.09 with a 2,2 60f 27psi

second was a single run and my personal record with a 10.73 and 27psi

After this run i was told to lower tire pressure so i went down to 21psi and 11.26 with 2.33
and so on and on.... i couldnt bring the 60f again under the 2.0
always between 2.1 and 2.4 with a 10.96 and a 10.86 but all the rest above 11 with 11.36 the worst

on sunday we strapped the bike 2' in front , lowering the pressure to 18psi
but again only 3 runs in the 10.83 to 10.96 but never saw again a better 60f as 2.1

I think i changed to much at a time....like playing around , and not concentrating right. Ok i was nervous at every start , and could not reproduce a constant time it went alwas up and down with every run.

What do you think about this ?

Here some pictures (6000 is me)
ImageShack Links Do Not Work

My best timestrip...and an "normal"
ImageShack Links Do Not WorkImageShack Links Do Not Work

I think i dont have (yet) the guts to go on WOT fast enough

I tried to do as you whrote in the launch tread and all the others , and i think i was not to bad at all , but i could not bring any constance in my launchs.

Greets from germany
Bernie

Bernie,

I would recommend a Brock's clutch mod to get your launches more consistent and help lower your 60'. You aren't launching nearing hard enough based on your 60'. You need to get WOT as soon as you can. I would work on pinning the throttle (even if it bogs) and then slowly start raising your launch RPM's to get you moving quicker. Get your body down and over the tank also to help feel what the bike is doing and keep the weight forward and lower.

You aren't doing bad for your first time out so just keep working at it. It all comes with practice... :beerchug:

Not bad for 1st time out. What was your launch rpms? Also get Brocks clutch mod really nice smooth clutch engagement with that mod. Whats your gearing? Ive got an 08 and started out the same way. starting slowly and get used to the launch as you gain more confidence raise the rpms. I started at 5000 and worked my way from 2.1/2.2 60'. Now im launching at 8000 rpms and (also changed front and rear sprocket from 18/43 to a 16/47) and now im getting 1.7/1.6 60' times. I am a bigg guy so I need that gearing to get that M(ASS) moving harder off the line. full race gear I am 390lbs. so far best et is a 10.37 @ 135.27 mph. good luck and keep practicing.

Sorry
forgot to write that i have the clutch mod (ring) and some stronger springs.

Could it be that with the 27psi i had a little slip and that made it easyer for me to rise the rpm s ?

It was a well prepared track and with the lower psi i had no spinn at all but brutal grip , and a bit fear to flip it.

The bar is not good at all and next time i change it. You see as i sit "on" the bike not in. But i once hit the 1.9 so it is possible , bt why couldnt i reproduce this ?

As im a small boy ??? and have only 170lbs , do you think i could go back to the 17/40. This way i think i could pass the line in third , just near the limiter , and maybe it would not rise at launch.

i know i have to practice a lot , but its not easy without having time to compare.

Thanks for support

Last edited:
I think you did good for your first time with very little to no drag race setup. As you mentioned, your nervousness plays a big roll in getting good results. Give it time and things will imrpove. The most important thing is that you had a good time, nothing broke, and everyone was safe. :thumbsup:

I think you did good for your first time with very little to no drag race setup. As you mentioned, your nervousness plays a big roll in getting good results. Give it time and things will imrpove. The most important thing is that you had a good time, nothing broke, and everyone was safe. :thumbsup:

Yea
It was realy great.......i was often as visitor at races , but to be inside is quite different.
Now i understand much better how you like this .:thumbsup:
:beerchug:

and i will practice
got a used shinko tire from a buddy who cant use it no more for a whole racing weekend , but for my practice it will still be good

Greets

First off, congratulations on getting out there and doing it. The first step is the hardest, and you have already taken that....
As stated above, practice is the key. Nothing wrong with being nervous, everybody is. It will get better as you keep doing it.
I would suggest a few things: Lower the bike with adjustable links, you can raise it back up for street riding. Get down behind the screen to launch, and stay there. Don't be afraid to let the bike come up a little when you launch, it will come up smoothly and is easily controllable with the throttle. It's gonna let you know long before it gets ugly.

i did it again
and this time well prepared thanks to the org :laugh:
i read a lot here and took the advices to the track with big efforts

SHORTBIKE
Started at 4.500
left foot on the peg :rulez:
footshift 10.6k with gregs shiftlight
16-41 sprockets
Shinko tire with 24psi
lowered front 1" ,rear~2
no spray , just motor

ok :laugh:,rider is a jokey with 170lbs in riding gear :whistle:

I could bring down my 60ft to a 1.81 in best run and to an average of 1.88 which is about .2sec better than before
and have now a new personel besttime
:cheerleader:10.18 :cheerleader:
with a topspeed of 140 mph

Not yet constant but my badest time was a 10.6 ,which i couldnt even reach last time

my average in 16 Runs is now a high 10.3 to low 10.4
Highest topspeed (not in best run) was 143 mph
average 140.4

And guys :cheerleader:
i won my first public-race for street legal bikes in the final with a
10.23 and .122 reaction time against another busa with a 10.15 but .3xx reaction

Im happy :cheerleader: and now fully addicted and hungry for a 9

attachment.php

Congratulations. :thumbsup:
Sounds like you are having fun. 10.18 with little experiance is great. :thumbsup:

Keep practicing and the times will come down. :beerchug:

Think i got a real good engine ,and my weight helps also.
Here some pics from the track.
The blue-silver is from last time just to compare.

P1020589.JPG

DSC_4461.jpg

DSC_4917.jpg

P1050761.jpg

DSC_0671.jpg

Some more
well prepared track , and the timing and start crew made a verry good job.
I was way less nervous than last year. My goal was to hit a 10.5 and as i made it in my first run ,i was happy , relaxed and could make every further run without inner "pressure". Think that was the way to the 10.18.
No stress makes good results. :lol::cheerleader:

DSC_2401.jpg

DSC_5176.jpg

Final.jpg

P1050760.jpg

P1060076.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back