Riding 3 Up on a Busa

tedbull

Registered
Hey, new to the forum. I have been looking at buying a busa for the last couple weeks. Looking for the right deal. I ride a 08 GSXR 1000 modded. and my wife rides a buell blast 500cc. What I want to do is have a hayabusa that myself, my wife, and my soon to be 5 year old boy can all ride together on. So three up. Why, you ask. Well my bike is only comfortable for so long, I suffer through it but 200 + miles and it really hurts. My wifes bike is a buell blast-nuff said. We dont get to ride as much as we like because we have trouble finding people to watch the boy. I test rode a K7 busa solo and loved how comfortable and smooth it was. I did a extended ride with my wife on the back of the same bike and she loved how comfortable it was compared to the back of my gixxer.

So here are the details. Here in Wa the law states that a bike must have a seat and footpegs for each rider, so it is legal to have 3 up on a bike. Minimum age for a passenger is 5 years old. My plan is to add a back rest the the rear seat, either a corbin or fab something up off of the stock grab bar or create something new using the same mounting points. Then fab up some foot pegs off of the subframe or stock rear pegs for the little guy. Then have the pilot seat customized to build up the back of the seat like the drag racers do but go up flush with the rear seat. That way the wife will be all the way back against the back rest, the boy will be half on her seat between her knees and half on my seat holding onto me. We all three sat on the k7 busa today and it could work, we were all comfy. Our combined weight is around 380 pounds. I would also throw on my soft bags, some sort of tail bag and my tank bag along with camping gear.

Let me know what you think, anyone done this before?

I have seen a 3up busa.... hideous....

I would personally say stick with a car or 2 bikes and 1 being 2up. I mean think about it, camping gear +3 people with one being a 5 year old.... A coupe is almost too small. but hey thats just my opinion.

that seems to be what most people think, I posted the same thread at pashnit.com. We roll pretty light on camping stuff, but I would like to tour with it. The boy realy does fit nicely beetween us he just leans against me and the wife is not cramped. I might give it a shot. If it does not work out that good than at least I will have a busa. Anyone using the seat cowl and putting their kid behind them but up against the cowl? Their is just too much seperation from the pilot seat and rear seat for a 5 year old to be safe in my opinion.

Let me know what you think

I think it's an extremely bad idea. I also think your relationship with your wife will never be the same after your son gets killed.

Don't do it. If you must have 3 people on one vehicle, get a Goldwing trike, or just buy a car.

A five year old, for some short rides, which you don't HAVE to have your wife on board, just to give him a thrill and a bit of cool factor riding experience is fine; however, riding a child long distances in this manner IMO is incredibly unsafe and irresponsible.

The design of the bike is to be ridden with a maximum of two up; it was not designed to carry a child. Riding gear of this type is not available for a child of this age, and if you REALLY want to do this, a side car would be your best option.

Are you really planning on going on a long distance trip with your five year old? I mean, legal or not, the longer the seat time, and the more uncontrolled the environment and not just immediate neighborhood (i.e. major traffic throughput, highway etc.), will equal a higher risk factor.

A child is not nearly as resilient as an adult in any type of accident, especially in a crushing collision or low side / high side incident with an added passenger the bike wasn't designed to carry.

Appropriate riding gear is typically not available in child sizes for this type of riding. This could be severely detrimental to your child's health.

Why would you even consider 'upgrading' to an impractical, ugly (by no means are 'busa's ugly, but given the planned mods) looking bike, to accommodate the circumstances of an unsafe rider, and the risks you would be putting them in?

Consider a side car if you want everyone involved, though the same safety observations (gear) still apply.

I'm all for getting the kids involved and including them, however this just seems absolutely silly to me.

You can't ALWAYS have your cake and eat it too, as the saying goes. Even though I've made it my mission to do so, this may seem to be a case where you just.... refrain.

a five year old, for some short rides, which you don't have to have your wife on board, just to give him a thrill and a bit of cool factor riding experience is fine; however, riding a child long distances in this manner imo is incredibly unsafe and irresponsible.

The design of the bike is to be ridden with a maximum of two up; it was not designed to carry a child. Riding gear of this type is not available for a child of this age, and if you really want to do this, a side car would be your best option.

Are you really planning on going on a long distance trip with your five year old? I mean, legal or not, the longer the seat time, and the more uncontrolled the environment and not just immediate neighborhood (i.e. Major traffic throughput, highway etc.), will equal a higher risk factor.

A child is not nearly as resilient as an adult in any type of accident, especially in a crushing collision or low side / high side incident with an added passenger the bike wasn't designed to carry.

Appropriate riding gear is typically not available in child sizes for this type of riding. This could be severely detrimental to your child's health.

Why would you even consider 'upgrading' to an impractical, ugly (by no means are 'busa's ugly, but given the planned mods) looking bike, to accommodate the circumstances of an unsafe rider, and the risks you would be putting them in?

Consider a side car if you want everyone involved, though the same safety observations (gear) still apply.

I'm all for getting the kids involved and including them, however this just seems absolutely silly to me.

You can't always have your cake and eat it too, as the saying goes. Even though i've made it my mission to do so, this may seem to be a case where you just.... Refrain.

+1,000,000

There was an 06 le that had a sidecar for sale on eBay. The auction ended without the bike selling. I don't if it's a good idea or not.… just sayin.

4064316910_b6aa8748fa.jpg

Can it be done? Probably.

Should it be done? Probably not.

As comical as we may find the photo above, the reason for three guys riding on one motorcycle, or as I've seen countless times, families of four or five with very small children riding on motorcycles in that particular part of the world is directly attributable to economic hardship and simply what it takes to survive day to day.

I suspect if I had a photo handy to post of small children hanging precariously to a motorcycle with two adults and a couple of other siblings riding simultaneously all (but perhaps one) of us would be apalled. Yet in their predicament safety is a lower priority than simple day to day survival. While far from ideal, it seems a bit more morally defensible than someone who lives in one of the wealthiest countries in the history of the world willfully accepting this level of risk.

I'm not trying to be an ***, but we're fortunate enough in this country to be able to find humor in the Darwin Awards. We can find this humor because in most cases it is not an economic/survival motivation that leads to the death of someone who performs an act that goes horribly wrong, but instead because the actions leading to the death were entirely unmotivated for economic or survival reasons.

Just my thoughts.

Don't let me read about your child in the Darwin Awards.

I hear the FAIL boat coming into dock :laugh:

Seriously man bad idea put that back in your bad idea box(which we all have):laugh: and forget about it.

Come on Guy's, there loads left in this thread yet.....

ImageShack Links Do Not Work

Spot the kid ?

Back