Hey you shutterbugs, Come on in.

Great post F=MA

dpreview.com is your friend for camera reviews, lens reviews, anything electronic reviews.

Got some cheap ole macro lenses and had some fun with them. Also got a tripod and shot the moon, but it wouldn't stay still lol.

4829271723_e38c53fb89_b.jpg

4829271639_72a9cc8d39_b.jpg

4829882268_5423ffa085_b.jpg

One thing I love about this site, It is some of the most amazing pictures I have ever seen. I have a Nikon D40 also and took a class with it but I have forgotten most of it which comes from not using it. I am looking forward to getting better at this. Thanks so much for sharing

Nice Keven!

It's fun ain't it! Don't forget the rule of thirds. And when you got that rule down - THEN Break it!

What I like is the rules of photography are meant to be broken, twisted, busted, used. It's all good and artistic. :beerchug:

Thanks for sharing.
Bubba

Nice Keven!

It's fun ain't it! Don't forget the rule of thirds. And when you got that rule down - THEN Break it!

What I like is the rules of photography are meant to be broken, twisted, busted, used. It's all good and artistic. :beerchug:

Thanks for sharing.
Bubba

I learned about the rule of thirds... don't use it often though lol.

Side note, Is it worth 1-200 bucks more for a camera body that can do ISO 100 vs one that can do ISO 200? (D40 vs D3000)

What an informative thread! F=MA's pics never cease to amaze me...stunning really! :thumbsup:

+1

I take ALOT of pictures, and look at ALOT of other peoples pictures, but just about anything F=MA posts is absolutely stunning!

I know this thread originally was a discussion about a lens question for a D40, but I just wanted to post a recent pic of downtown Elmira (Canon G11 & a tripod).

And I'll send out another reccomendation for dpreview.com

fireworks048a.jpg

I learned about the rule of thirds... don't use it often though lol.

Side note, Is it worth 1-200 bucks more for a camera body that can do ISO 100 vs one that can do ISO 200? (D40 vs D3000)

I would say no, only because today's camera's have such little Noise that 200 is still a great place to be.

Just get nice glass, the lens is your eye and the better the eye the better the pic!

Just my 2,
Bubba

I would say no, only because today's camera's have such little Noise that 200 is still a great place to be.

Just get nice glass, the lens is your eye and the better the eye the better the pic!

Just my 2,
Bubba

Roger, KRRRRRRRRRRRRK

I have over 200,000 images I have taken with digital cameras so I wanted see if I could find some of my favorite low light shots to add here.... I realized most of my dark pics are of weather... Hrmmm....

clouds-5-13-09 013.jpg

clouds-5-13-09 055.jpg

clouds-5-13-09 063.jpg

clouds-5-13-09 071.jpg

DSC_4792.jpg

Feb-lightining-09 009.jpg

Ice-storm-Jan-16-07 173 (Large).jpg

Ice-storm-Jan-16-07 258 (Large).jpg

Ice-storm-Jan-16-07 226.jpg

lightning-5-13-09 128.jpg

lightning-5-31-08 017.jpg

lightning-5-31-08 026.jpg

lightning-5-31-08 027.jpg

Then I ran across this pic and it reminded me of a great friend....
IMG_1272.JPG

clouds-5-13-09 013.jpg

clouds-5-13-09 055.jpg

clouds-5-13-09 063.jpg

clouds-5-13-09 071.jpg

DSC_4792.jpg

Feb-lightining-09 009.jpg

Ice-storm-Jan-16-07 173 (Large).jpg

Ice-storm-Jan-16-07 258 (Large).jpg

Ice-storm-Jan-16-07 226.jpg

lightning-5-13-09 128.jpg

lightning-5-31-08 017.jpg

lightning-5-31-08 026.jpg

lightning-5-31-08 027.jpg

IMG_1272.JPG

Doug, how are you taking your pics of lightning? Are you just leaving the lens open for a set amount of time or are you placing something over the lens while the shutter is open and taking it off when the lightning shows up?

Passage_II_by_Sutur.jpg
Some of my time lapses & low light examples.

Tank_VII_by_Sutur.jpg

The_Buddha_by_Sutur.jpg
Bustle_by_Sutur.jpg
Neon_Buzzsaw_by_Sutur.jpg
Squeezed_by_Sutur.jpg
Shine_On_by_Sutur.jpg
Illumination_by_Sutur.jpg
Liquid_Fire_by_Sutur.jpg

Looks like the topic is sufficiently covered already. But if it all seems complicated and long-winded, just raise the ISO. Expect noise, but modern post-processing software is very powerful, and there are techniques for reducing noise.

Last edited:
damn.......

those are nice...

Raises a question i meant to ask with F=MA, how are yalls pics like that so crisp? is that directly related to the quality of the lens? even on a tripod, My objects don't "pop out" like that.

damn.......

those are nice...

Raises a question i meant to ask with F=MA, how are yalls pics like that so crisp? is that directly related to the quality of the lens? even on a tripod, My objects don't "pop out" like that.

Well I learnt that there are certain apertures (depending on the lens) that produce more crisp photographs. I stay as close to f8 as I can unless there is a specific effect I am trying achieve.

Also, one rule you never break is this: in digital photography when you downscale your images, you always sharpen.

If you're series about digital photography you'll have your head up Adobe's ass. So what you want to do it create 2 duplicate layers of your photograph. One with with a moderate blur, and another with heavy sharpening. Then you just adjust the opacity of these layers until you find a happy medium that's silky while also sharp.

Doug...these are such amazing pics! How you timed those lightning ones is beyond me! Looks like the Gods shooting it straight down from the heavens. The one of the cotton ball clouds is now my screen saver! Great pic of the Don and his amazing smile by the way :thumbsup:

lightning-5-31-08%20026.jpg

clouds-5-13-09%20063.jpg

Last edited:
Well I learnt that there are certain apertures (depending on the lens) that produce more crisp photographs. I stay as close to f8 as I can unless there is a specific effect I am trying achieve.

Also, one rule you never break is this: in digital photography when you downscale your images, you always sharpen.

If you're series about digital photography you'll have your head up Adobe's ass. So what you want to do it create 2 duplicate layers of your photograph. One with with a moderate blur, and another with heavy sharpening. Then you just adjust the opacity of these layers until you find a happy medium that's silky while also sharp.

I got my hands on Photoshop CS5. Thats how I managed to do this:
4803494620_0693a86c40_b.jpg

Thanks for the tips! Ill play with that

Doug...these are such amazing pics! How you timed those lightning ones is beyond me! Looks like the Gods shooting it straight down from the heavens. The one of the cotton ball clouds is now my screen saver! Great pic of the Don and his amazing smile by the way :thumbsup:

If you want the hi res version of that pic I have it and can email it to you... As far as the lightning shots I have to admit I stayed there a little longer than I should have... What is neat about those pics is that the house in the pic is mine...

cap

Back