My biggest fear with a brandy new GenII Busa

Eddie

Registered
I'm currently GenII Busa shopping. Looking for the best deal and trying to make my damn mind up on a color.:banghead: I do a great deal of research on message boards and I have seen new Busa owners express their fears about the bike as well as what current Busa owners warn newbies about. Primarily it's the power of the bike and everything that goes along with that.:rulez:

I'm a 35 year old guy and I'm a very responsible rider. I'm not the type of guy to have the throttle WFO at every available opportunity nor am I the type to show off for the entertainment of others. I bracket race a mid 8 second, 155mph, 3000+lb door car. I have a great respect for speed and for a vehicle that attains that speed very quickly.:bowdown:

So I have to be honest. My greatest fear with a shiny new Busa isn't the power, isn't the acceleration, etc. In my research I have found thread after thread about guys dropping their pride and joy in slow manuvering situations and 0mph falls backing it out of the garage. I'm not a big guy, I don't have a very long reach and I don't have a long inseam. Yup, my biggest fear is dropping the beast.:shocked: I've read about the cut sliders, no cut sliders, kickstand mod, etc in an attempt to gain as much knowledge as I can to better prepare for something I (hopefully!:please:) won't do...drop my future GenII Busa.

So how do you smaller stature Busa riders deal with the 600lb monster? Does lowering the bike help with slow parking manuvers, etc? Is it a better idea to use a rear wheel stand instead of the kickstand when your baby is waiting in the garage for it's next ride? Does getting rid of the monsterously heavy stock exhaust help with slow manuvering or can you really not feel the difference? Trying to soak up as much knowledge before I pull the trigger.:thumbsup:

Leverage is the key to handling a bike. I used to ride a GSX-R 600 and my Gen II does not seem any bigger than that when I am on it and moving around. If you can touch the ground with both feet (do not have to be flat footed) then you are OK. I would only lower it due to your height if that was the only way to stay upright.

I love my orange/black and do not regret my decision in any way.

i would suggest sending the stock seat to new image to gain an inch or two to compensate your vertical challenge. yeah, it may set you back $150 or so but your butt will thank you and you will feel a little more secure on the new ride. :thumbsup:

I'm around 160 and get the girl around just fine. I do have a new image seat to get me closer to the ground. Don't like the thought of lowering the bike.

I lowered a Honda Shadow I had at one time and was amazed that it changed the entire feel of the bike. I never did like the lowered feel.

One final thought, the Busa will handle like a true sportbike. What I mean by that is that it will handle easier than a big cruiser or even a standard bike... in my opinion.

011.jpg

would definitely recommend the kickstand mod, just did mine recently. Dropped mine the 2nd day i had it brand new, started it up in the driveway to warm up a bit and it rolled right off the kickstand. Luckily i was standing right next to it when it went down so i caught it, but still had to ease it to the ground. Only a minor chip in the fairing and scuffed mirror. I did just install no-cut trex frame sliders this week, so if this ever happens again she will be a lil more protected

When I stop I always put my boot behind the kickstand and pull the bike backward to be sure it's set on the stand. I never park pointed down hill and I leave it in gear when parked.

I am not a little guy though at 300 lbs and I have actually caught the busa on it's way down and lifted it back up. It's not that I'm a superman or anything but I would risk a sprung back for my girl any day!.

Thanks for the replies, guys!:thumbsup:

I'm 5' 8" or so with about a 30" inseam. I weight around 175-180lbs. I'm not a lanky guy, but I'm no giant either. My DRZ has a seat height of just under 37" and I can tip toe that bike with both feet, but it's MUCH more narrow than a Busa. My buddy's R6 has a 32" seat height but it's wide in the middle so which makes the bike feel taller, so I'm back on tip toes again.

I don't like the idea of lowering a bike either, which is why I never lowered my DRZ (or any other bike I owned for that matter). But a Busa is much heavier than anything else I have ridden. I'm sure it's every bit as tricky to back out of a garage as everyone says it is. I do like the seat mod idea. The more planted I feel I think the better I will be to more the bike around the garage and parking spots. I'll definately be looking into a new image seat. About how long is the turn around time?

TwoBrothersBusa, love the blue and black. I'm hoping I can find a super clean, mod free, low mileage blue and black '08 locally. I'm a sucker for blue.

+1000 on the new image seat, have had mine for quite a while now and love it, i'm about 6'1" 180lbs. Can't exactly remember the turn around time when i had mine done, i'm thinking a week but someone will correct me if wrong. Never really had a problem backing mine out of the garage and worrying about dropping it. Most of the time i have almost dropped it the wife was on the back. Add another rider out back and she does get pretty heavy. Other than that, don't think i've really come close to dropping it much, unless i loose footing on gravel and such which will happen with any bike

If you can touch the ground with both feet (do not have to be flat footed) then you are OK.
Well, no, you don't HAVE to be flat footed, but it sure does help, particularly if the ground is unexpectedly uneven. I wouldn't lower the bike either if it's going to be used for street riding, but a custom saddle which is a narrower and with less padding would be a good idea.

When i got my 01 nine years ago i was abit intimidated by the seat height too [i am 5'9] 32 inch inseam.... if you can not flat foot on it..it is scary.. but strong concentration when getting on backing up etc.. is a major key..also like an other member said..always in gear if pointed downhill..but not good to park down hill if you don't have too..if steep enough it could still roll off the stand. My springs finally settled down so i can flat foot now...even if you lower it a little it really does not have any ill effects...except dragging the fairing on a track day. The seat mod sounds like the best idea. Good luck and hope you enjoy the beast...

5'10", 185lbs, 30-in inseam...no problems with the seat height or weight of the bike. However, this is my 2nd Busa and have been riding big, heavy cruisers for a while now. In due time, you will get accustomed to the heft of the bike and hopefully, make you more confident.
Do the seat upgrade as suggested above. And install some frame sliders even before you put a mile on your bike.
P.S. and since you mentioned you like BLUE, here's one to whet your appetite :)

DSC00570.jpg

Last edited:
Glad to hear guys my size manage their Busas without much drama!:beerchug: Do you guys have any pics of you sitting on your bikes?

kromdom, beautiful Busa!:thumbsup:

Just get it.

You're way better off dropping her in the garage than out in the twisties.

Your fears are valid, but get on your scoot and go, man! Don't sweat that stuff too much; it'll reduce the joy of ownership!

Good luck in your quest.

5'11" 32" inseam flat footed at stock height and seat. Get it! You will not regret it!!:thumbsup:

Just get black it's the fastest color!!!:laugh:

A GenII Busa is in my future without question. Just doing some homework beforehand is all.

Maybe I'll just carpet the garage floor. :rofl:

Thanks for the replies, guys!:thumbsup:

I'm 5' 8" or so with about a 30" inseam. I weight around 175-180lbs. I'm not a lanky guy, but I'm no giant either. My DRZ has a seat height of just under 37" and I can tip toe that bike with both feet, but it's MUCH more narrow than a Busa. My buddy's R6 has a 32" seat height but it's wide in the middle so which makes the bike feel taller, so I'm back on tip toes again.

I don't like the idea of lowering a bike either, which is why I never lowered my DRZ (or any other bike I owned for that matter). But a Busa is much heavier than anything else I have ridden. I'm sure it's every bit as tricky to back out of a garage as everyone says it is. I do like the seat mod idea. The more planted I feel I think the better I will be to more the bike around the garage and parking spots. I'll definately be looking into a new image seat. About how long is the turn around time?

TwoBrothersBusa, love the blue and black. I'm hoping I can find a super clean, mod free, low mileage blue and black '08 locally. I'm a sucker for blue.

Keeping your 37" DRZ up is a lot more difficult than a Busa. 30" Inseam is plenty. The fact that you are nervous about this, is enough to make sure you never drop it, just don't stop being nervous. The key is to make sure the kickstand is down properly and the bike is in gear when you get dismount.

Keeping your 37" DRZ up is a lot more difficult than a Busa. 30" Inseam is plenty. The fact that you are nervous about this, is enough to make sure you never drop it, just don't stop being nervous. The key is to make sure the kickstand is down properly and the bike is in gear when you get dismount.

Short and to the point. Thanks for the input!:beerchug:

Eddie, you will do just fine. My woman is 5'8" / 138 lbs and has owned two busas. She has no problem whatsoever and rides extremely well. You'll have no problem. Buy it, ride it and enjoy it! :beerchug:

Back