From stock to...? 10 must do mods under 3k?

IceRider

Registered
Hello all! This is my very first post, so let me get the intro out of the way. Just purchased a brand new 09 Busa, Silver. It is not my first busa, I previously owned an 07. Long story short, I felt the need to sell it after crossing the sound barrier at 160 MPH. Shortly after I did it, I felt a lot of regret, and actually felt kind of lucky, I wasn't pulled over. Anyhow, sold it! Then it happened...REGRET that I sold it. I missed it like a feene misses...well, you guys get it. So a couple of years later I purchase the second gen. After unsuccessfully holding out for a black bike, I ended up with the silver. It was either that or white...sorry white, funny thing was, he was giving me a mean discount if I took the white, seems he couldn't get rid of them.

So here's the dilemma. I don't know where to start with the mods. I have been reading up on exhaust systems the last couple of days, and still am no closer to ending this quest. Although, I think I am leaning closer to the Brock StreetMeg. I understand the Alien Head is the coolest thing right now, but in reality, I really don't care for the short design, and the sound might be a bit much. With all that said, I think the StreetMeg, is the choice. I was thinking about slip-ons for a few days there, and actually, after all the sound checks, I would say the M4 is the best sounding slip-on. I am still considering the M4.

So let me pose the question: you just purchased the Busa, and you need to do 10 essential mods to the bike. You want to keep the cost at or below 3k. What are they???

Looking forward hear all the recommendations!

This site Rocks!!!

Go Bills!

Exhausts can be a tough decision...it took me a while to make mine. It really all depends on your preference and what it is you're looking for.

Other mods...
- Good gear
- Frame sliders
- Stem mounts
Depends if you're into the track...
- clutch mod
- air box mods
The list goes on and on.

...and :welcome: to the .org

Last edited:
Power adders:
* full exhaust: around $1,000
* BMC Race filter: around $80
* PC V: around $400
* dyno tune: around $400

Welcome back and best of luck!

I hate to loose...I'm 6'4 230...so when I put down the Shambone...I need to know, without question, that I will have the power to lead. With that said, i am not a nut...I don't need to have the fastest bike on the block.

With the Silver is hard to say which way i'm leaning. I wish I could see more Silvers to give me a better idea. I think the stock tire looks like crap...I know I want to lower the bike. I love the look of the rear tire extended, although not to much. I think the StreetMeg is underated...???

GO FAST mods first. Followed by SLOW DOWN QUICK upgrades. Then LOOKING GOOD touches last.

Exhaust
Chain/sprocket
Power Commander
Air Filter/ Airbox Mod
If drag racing: Stretch + Lower + Air Shifter + Strap + Nitrous
If you like the twisties: Race Brake pads front and rear + Stainless steel lines front and rear + Rearsets + Maybe a stabilizer if you come out of corners hard
Tune
Obviously some minor ins and outs at $30-$80 a piece that will inevitably come up. (plugs, filters, specialty tools, etc)

It might throw you a little bit over but you're around $3k and you'd have a nice ass bike.

I'd also have someone that knows suspension to set it to your weight and desired riding purpose.

Last edited:
Here check this thread. https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gene...eres-your-sound-alienhead-passing-videos.html
First post has two videos , 3rd post (my 2nd) has a link to a nice video I did showing how it sounds up close and then down farther there is a pic of my bike.
Alienhead is a beautiful system and you cant go wrong with it. And no its not too loud.

So that being said:
1st: good and proper gear...i.e....Helmet,Jacket,Boots and Gloves as well as decent pair of pants(Kevlar Jeans at the least and leather pants at the most) or full set of leathers
2nd: Full exhaust
3rd: PC V
4th: K&N filter
5th: Dyno tune w/custom map

6th: Enjoy and :welcome:

Dont worry...youll come aorund...Silver is the fastest color:poke::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

photo (8).jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

07-11-10-305.jpg

Here it is with a brand new tire on ....Bigger since i do the twist but just an idea:thumbsup:

Shinko would look really good

photo (3).jpg

First thing to do: get a new screen, because the stock one is useless unless you ride lying down.

Second thing: braided lines, because the stock lines are crap.

Everything else is optional, although I would be seriously looking at some decent slip-ons.

I have owned the black ceramic coated AH for quite some time now, love it. Tame between 0-4k rpm and when you open it up it screams if you want it too. My bro just put a Streetmeg on his 14, it doesn't seem quite as loud, maybe close but not quite there, but looks good, especially black ceramic coated. Sounds good too. You can't go wrong with either one. He got the 20 inch megaphone just because he doesn't want an exhaust that looks like mine at all (shorty style). I like them both. I will prob in the next few days be starting both bikes up side by side for a personal comparo on sound, when/if i do ill let you know a little more detail.

Other mods:
You might look into gearing to suit your riding. I like stock gearing, good for highway riding, lots of people like a shorter gearing however, 1 tooth down in front or 2-3 up in the rear for the majority it seems.

!! Get some riding gear man, buy you a quality helmet, it will be the most valuable thing for wind buffeting on your noggin. You pay for what you get, I went from a 120 dollar helmet to a Shoei X11 and it slices through the wind like butter compared to that Other junk I bought.

Find a windscreen that suits your needs. I like the ZG double bubble, looks good and performs well for high speed runs. I hate the stock windscreen.

Now on the air filter as some suggested. That is fine, depending on your location. Here in West Texas we get an :moon:load of dirt and dust year round, very bad idea to go with anything other than just an OEM filter in my opinion. For riding around, you don't really need a "race air filter" to add a slight amount of hp for public roads...I mean really.

Hope my .02 helps! Enjoy the new bike and welcome!

For the bike:

Exhaust to loose the weight, then power, and for sound. Slip ons loose some weight and give u some sound. Cheapest and nicest full system is the yoshimura series. Nice sound and power. Max effort full systems are brocks series with ti force and akrapovic in the hunt. Just quieter then the brocks system.

Then a tuner of some sort to dail in the power curve of your busa.

Then hids for being seen and night time running.

Then +2, +3 rear spocket, or -1 front sprocket. If you do more city riding. Get a speedohealer to get speedo to read corectly. Leave stock gearing if you run highway a lot.

Improve the brakes with a new brembo master and ss lines. New pads will help too! Expensive but worth is weight in cost and time to make work! Major.....major improvement in feel, power,and bite!!

Puig double bubble wind screen better the stock.

I spoke with brocks the other day and there gen3 street smart exhaust sounds really good. full exhaust you loose about 35 pounds and a power commander with a pre tuned map by them and rear wheel # of 191. call for the price it really isnt bad I think

Leather jacket, gloves, pants
Used brock pipe
gearing -1 down,+2up
Hid
Dyno tune
Puig sheild
Powder coating rearset, levers
Enjoy your new ride priceless:thumbsup:

I would get these in this order.:thumbsup:

Tank Protector
HID
Scorpio Alarm
Pazzo Levers
Exhaust
Power Commander or have ECU flashed
Tune
Steel Braided Brake lines (brakes and clutch)
42t rear sprocket
SpeedoHealer

Last edited:
Remove excess stickers
Tank protector
Remove rear wind-scoop (DIY or $ undertail kit)
synthetic oil
upgrade voltage regulator
HID lights, LED driving lights
Full exhaust
BMC / K&N air filter
Power Commander 5
block pair
remove secondary throttle flies
ECU flash + dynotune
EBC brake pads, Brake lines, rotors

Back