Thinking about going back to stock cans....

bazooki

Registered
Here's the thing. I am starting a new job on Monday and I am thinking about maybe using the Busa to commute. I currently run D&D slip-ons that were installed by the original owner and are about as loud as hells thunder. I don't think I'm gonna feel too good about firing up the beast every morning at 7 am and pizzing off the neighbours. I still have the stock cans but have never heard them, on my bike or any other Busa. Are they quiet (7 am quiet)? Might install the stocks this weekend and give them a bit of time before making a decision but any feedback from anybody else with the same dilemma would be appreciated!

I don't have much to compare them to but I have the stock cans and can carry on a conversation next to the bike with my helmet on.

I run D&D and they don't seem that loud to me. Have the baffles. been removed? Mine are not much louder than the stock pipes I can carry on a conversation with the rider next to me no problem.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:
D&D's are loud in my opinion. I had them on another bike... loud as hell! I would recommend dual yoshi's for some sound and a piece of mind that you will not upset the neighbors! Or go back stock... but ask your neighbors first if it bothers them.... then you my be fine and not have to do anything at all!

I had the pleasure of riding behind another Busa with D&D's on and they are LOUD (heard him way before I saw him)

I run D&D and they don't seem that loud to me. Have the baffles. been removed? Mine are not much louder than the stock pipes I can carry on a conversation with the rider next to me no problem.
Posted via Mobile Device

No they still have the baffles and like Warbird I find them to be very loud. Could be they have changed baffle design over the years so yours might not be the same as mine. My kids tell me they can hear me coming from a couple of kms away so thats a pretty good indicator...as far as asking the neighbours....its a good idea but I'm not really on a first name, or any name, basis with most of them so that might be a bit awkward.

It is agenuine consideration. The stock cans are much quieter than the d&d's.

Thanks for putting some thoughts into what your neighbors think? As a condo liver myself, it's nice when neighbors put thought into making others comfy! Rock on!

i wouldnt worry about it unless your in a apartment complex. 7am isnt really crazy early, if your in a residential area most working people are up by that time. i really doubt they are loud enough for to wake up someone in a house. my buddy had a d&d full system. it was loud but wasnt obnoxious unless he made it.

You could always go with Gen II pipes like mine:
Pros:
Cheap (I got mine for $1 off ebay)
Relatively easy to fit to Gen I mid-pipes (just requires some cheap stuff from Home depot)
Very Quiet
I assume they probably flow better than the Gen I OEM cans

Cons:
Heavy (not an issue for commuting)

busa1.jpg

I leave at 5 am with the busa with an r77 or a 09 1k with an m4 full ss exhaust on it. No neighbor has complained... but the m4 is louder and a neighbor friend says he can hear that one....but it isnt bad as the neighbor who had a harley with open pipes who leaves around the same time. Still a great ? and situation to consider!

I have the stock cans on and love the stealth sound.

I start the bike every morning at 5am and the wife says it never wakes her up, and the bedroom and garage share the same wall.

Nice of you to consider your neighbors, most don't. :beerchug:

Bubba

I had stock pipes on mine when I bought her. They're pretty quiet at low rpm's; I don't think your neighbours will notice them. - They'll still scream a bit when you open up the throttle, though, but they aren't wanker-loud, like a Harley would be.

I guess I should really just stop being such a lazy azz and just go do the swap. It looks like it would only take about a half hour and I'll just swap back if I don't like the result. It's just something about de-evolving (devolving?) the beast that makes me a little hesitant.....:whistle:

I have Tuskigi bolt on cans on mine, while they are not real loud, I love the sound of them, but to tell you the truth, my busa RUNS better with the stock cans. You may find a performance advantage and not po the neighbors too by going back to the stock cans.

D&Ds are loud but stock cans SUCK

I'd leave the D&Ds on and start looking for an alternative exhaust...

My two personal favorites IN ORDER

1) HMF (highrise)

IMG_1838.jpg

2) Akrapovic (If I had a Gen II, it would have an Akrapovic...carve it in stone)

66865d4f4893f991160a426a0b48d5e9.jpg

Posted via Mobile Device

I had a D&D on my ZRX1200. That thing was the most shrill, filling melting, obnoxious sounding thing, I've ever heard.
Then the packing burned out, and it got really loud.
:laugh:

I've kept the stock cans on my Busa for one simple reason, I'm up to no good most of the time/rides. I've went by houses out on quiet evening back country roads at 80mph. And the people working on their flowers in the front yard, didn't even look up from their digging.
I like getting away with murder, totally unnoticed.:thumbsup:

Here's the thing. I am starting a new job on Monday and I am thinking about maybe using the Busa to commute. I currently run D&D slip-ons that were installed by the original owner and are about as loud as hells thunder. I don't think I'm gonna feel too good about firing up the beast every morning at 7 am and pizzing off the neighbours. I still have the stock cans but have never heard them, on my bike or any other Busa. Are they quiet (7 am quiet)? Might install the stocks this weekend and give them a bit of time before making a decision but any feedback from anybody else with the same dilemma would be appreciated!

I would not worry about it bro. I leave my house at 5am and I have not heard the neighbors complain. I have asked my closest ones and they tell me they don't hear anything. When I pull off, I usually don't let the RPM's run pass 3000 until I get out of the neighborhood.:laugh: I am running a TI-Force full 4 into 1 exhaust system.

SD530453.jpg

It's done. I did the swap and fired it up in the garage.

Wow.

Its sounds pretty much just like a big old GS1100, smooth, quiet and powerful. The difference is absolutely huge. In the garage you cannot have a conversation with someone without yelling at anything above idle with the D&D's. Even out in the open you have to raise your voice to talk to someone standing beside you. I'm gonna take this quiet version for a ride in a bit and report back what I think of new kinder gentler beastie.

Stock cans pretty much as I hear it through the ear plugs.
All 65-90mph..

Since the embed still doesn't work.. the link.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back