Well it was bound to happen

ditchdr

Registered
As most here know I hate, I mean HATE snakes. First tale was the magic snake that turned its self into a stick just to make me look like a fool infront of a customer. Then we have a few tales of them hiding in sago palms just waiting, that or they are scouts for bigger snakes, either way I dont like it.

Well today I was on a job site( cant work leg is in a splint) when I was moving some weeds/brush/grass out the way when I feel this sudden pain in my right leg. I thought one of the mowers threw a base ball out the discharge it hurt so bad. I look down and nothing. then I look at my leg and there are 2 holes in it about a inch apart trickling blood. I have to tell yall my heart almost stopped i was so scared. So first thing I do is try to find the slimy SOB that did this. No luck. Well that and I bet i looked like a crack head looking for a dropped rock trying to find it. Anyhow never did see it. I hobble my behind up to the truck and call 911. 20 min later a ambulance showed up.. Well in that 20 min I made a few calls, and used my own knowledge on the situation . the swelling had stopped, there was no burning in my leg, and no redness. I call a buddy who happens to be a snake expert ( no I will no go to his house) and he tells me that most likely it was a defensive bite. Kind of like the snake was saying "your to close, this will back you up or next time its gonna be bad". EMS got there they looked at it cleaned it up and i refused transport. So I have been keeping a eye on it, swelling is down and no pain just a slight bruise. But let me tell ya I was scared.. Anyhow here is a pic of my leg 10 min after it happened

0703101523.jpg

Holy Hell Dude you got way more guts than me. Man I truly believe that I start a fire to get that damn snake.

Glad your ok man. Them lil' bass turds can hide any where. I almost stepped on a baby rattler walking through the woods. He blended right in. Lets just say it didn't live long after that. Just happy it all came out good for ya in the end.

Worst is not knowin what snake it was. Could be an eastern diamondback, coral or a cottonmouth more than likely. Unbelievable that no innocculation occured!!!

Well I was near the river (fresh water) it has a lot of cotton mouths, as well as copper heads there. We seem to see 1 or 2 every time were there. My snake buddy called me a little bit ago and we got to talking. He feels it was a copper head. He said in 95% of all copper head bites to humans it is a dry bite as they dont waste venom on what they are not gonna eat. The other 5% being young snaked who have little control over the venom glands. And the fact it took off makes he think it is one also.

If it had been a cotton mouth I would still be in the hospital, them SOB's are mean. Am told they will pretty much chase you if you get to close. Also when they bite the bite to kill even if they dont plan to eat it. Also they will stand their ground and keep striking untill you leave or they can get away in a safe manner.

it cound have gone very bad, the copperhead venom is a nurotoxin. As in it attaches its self to nerve tissue and blocks signals from being transmitted. Altho hardley ever deadly in humans, they can cause massive nuro injury.

Anyhow I am glad im ok, and gonna start carrying a .45 with me lol.. here snakey snaker snakey

OUCH! I think you should go to the doctor though, better safe than sorry. Get some shin guard too.

OUCH! I think you should go to the doctor though, better safe than sorry. Get some shin guard too.

Agreed! Keep an eye on it and, Hope you heal well!!

On a lighter note, My next door neighbor found a 7' 6" rattlesnake trolling throgh his yard and ran it over 4 times with his car. Still did not kill it. Just pissed it off. Three wacks to its head with the shovel did it.

I hate snakes! Think I would also go to the doctor just to be safe.

That was a good awakening video there. I jumped in my chair, lol...

Sorry you got bit dude. Glad it seems to have been a non-poisonous species.

Sorry you got bit Bro, but sure glad it wasn't more serious.!!
We're going to Charleston (Folly Beach) for a week in August, I'll sure bee keeping an eye out for snakes.!!
Hope you get back to normal real soon.!!

Back