$850 for paint? Question.

RussellJ

Rick Rollin'
Registered
So is 850 a good deal for a full black paint job on my 05 busa? Thats what i got quoted and scheduled 3 weeks from now to drop the fairings off.

Yes im going all black with a white decal theme. Keeping my frame and all silver. Anyone want to try to talk me into something different?

sounds about right.

it takes around 1000 to get a good tricoat around here, so i'd say 800 range for base clear.

theres alot of black busas out there, they look good, too hard to keep clean for me though.

yeah i know its not fun to keep clean but black is so classy to me. i love it. kept cleaned properly it looks amazing

Price sounds about right:thumbsup:

Maybe some metal flake in the paint, give it a little pop? You can also go to a local paint shop and see what they suggest to compliment your choice. They have some good ideas:thumbsup:

Sounds on par. Mine ran $500, but a friend was doing it. He also smoothed the dash pieces for me while he was at it :thumbsup:

So is 850 a good deal for a full black paint job on my 05 busa? Thats what i got quoted and scheduled 3 weeks from now to drop the fairings off.

Yes im going all black with a white decal theme. Keeping my frame and all silver. Anyone want to try to talk me into something different?

I would do it for you for 550.00 marterials included.

This is black will a ton of flake in the clear. This was a low end clear freind of mine wanted but I would shoot your with a high solids clear to give it a better shine

You would have to pay for shipping.. Wrap everything in bubble wrap no boxes.. will save you on weight and over size fees. should cost less then 50 both ways

2010-05-21_11.31.35.jpg

2010-05-21_11.32.49.jpg

2010-05-21_11.31.48.jpg

Last edited:
What kind of paint you gonna use? depending on the type of paint that will also make a difference on the price. I painted my extended tail on my 08 and I used the factory paint(black) and it came out really nice. Also bought the original stickers and put them on and it looks all original. I got the paint from colorrite.com They sell the factory paint in all colors. I think I paid about $400 for primer, Pearl Nebular Black and the clear.

materlials are expensive...sand paper and the paint...sealer, primer, color and clear...then more sanding and buffing the clear coat. although bikes are less surface area than a car you are dealing with many curves and the substrate of abs or whatever plastic that it is and it flexes / moves around. To ensure that you will be happy at the very least but quality materials and check to see that they use them. The sunlight and other factors can make a small chip delaminate down to the primer and cause lifting. I can't see how people get a $500 paint job that is a complete bike..unless the guy is giving his time away. You spray for a few minutes and let it dry...sand and repeat...till your buffing the clear and everbodies happy. Check out prior work and decide for yourself. Prep is everything...get rid of wax, oil, and junk that will be rubbed into the existing finish while the first steps of sanding are taking place.

You could remove the panels, strip parts off them, wash them wish dish soap, wipe wipe with a wax/grease remover prior to taking them to a paint shop...they will be happy to keep that stuff away from their projects + it will reduce you cost.

What kind of paint you gonna use? depending on the type of paint that will also make a difference on the price. I painted my extended tail on my 08 and I used the factory paint(black) and it came out really nice. Also bought the original stickers and put them on and it looks all original. I got the paint from colorrite.com They sell the factory paint in all colors. I think I paid about $400 for primer, Pearl Nebular Black and the clear.

We are not taking about a factory color match so what are you asking me???

Color rite is expensive becuase they are the only company I know of that does paint match for motorcycles

materlials are expensive...sand paper and the paint...sealer, primer, color and clear...then more sanding and buffing the clear coat. although bikes are less surface area than a car you are dealing with many curves and the substrate of abs or whatever plastic that it is and it flexes / moves around. To ensure that you will be happy at the very least but quality materials and check to see that they use them. The sunlight and other factors can make a small chip delaminate down to the primer and cause lifting. I can't see how people get a $500 paint job that is a complete bike..unless the guy is giving his time away. You spray for a few minutes and let it dry...sand and repeat...till your buffing the clear and everbodies happy. Check out prior work and decide for yourself. Prep is everything...get rid of wax, oil, and junk that will be rubbed into the existing finish while the first steps of sanding are taking place.

You could remove the panels, strip parts off them, wash them wish dish soap, wipe wipe with a wax/grease remover prior to taking them to a paint shop...they will be happy to keep that stuff away from their projects + it will reduce you cost.

It is rare that you have to sand and buff clear after it is layed. If the clear needs to be sanded and buffed that means something went wrong like it got dirt or trash in it. Or it was shot to peely.
so if I do what I am supposed to do I should not have to sand and buff the clear.
As for spray let it dry and sand. I have no clue what your talking about. Once again if I spray the base correctly there should be no need for me to sand it.

also for the record.

you can wash you parts all you want. the body dhop is still gong to do it and charge you for it. They are not going to take your work for it. If the paint fail because the panels were not cleaned correctly they will have to redue so. When it comes to painting the painter going to do it all and not take your word for it in most cases.

I no I would not

Also paint this TL and this truck.

I gave you a price. I will do a quailty job. I think you will be more then happy with the results. If your interested PM me

CIMG0666.jpg

home.jpg

For me black is the only way to go! But to each his own. On the good side, i get more people coming up to me at gas stations,stores,at red lights telling me how much they like it. But it is a pain in the as- to clean,and keep clean. almost imposible. 99% of them have no clue what kind of bike it is. I kinda like that. I take it as i dont have something everybody else does. I am a painter by trade, the most important thing is get someone you trust. Thats more important than the amount of money. Cause if your like the rest of us you dont have the money to throw away. I have done very cheap paint jobs for some and charged others more. There is a lot of factors that make that call.1 do i have extra clear laying around from the last 10 paint jobs? how pleasant you are to deal with? also its going to be more if i get junk parts from you. the more beat up the parts the more it will cost.There is alot of people who call themselves painters, some are,some are just a butcher.I would not trust my stuff with anyone i dont know or that i could not drop by to check on the job in progress. Do your research and allways go with your first gut feeling on the person. oh and yeah blacks the only way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but thats just me

That seems about right, I paid less (not factory paint). I've heard of guys around here in GA taking all parts to a local Lexus dealership for $600.

If you're doing all the work taking it apart, and you're preparing the plastics by wet sanding them, you could find it less.

But you will probably get what you pay for, just my opinion.

For me black is the only way to go! But to each his own. On the good side, i get more people coming up to me at gas stations,stores,at red lights telling me how much they like it. But it is a pain in the as- to clean,and keep clean. almost imposible. 99% of them have no clue what kind of bike it is. I kinda like that. I take it as i dont have something everybody else does. I am a painter by trade, the most important thing is get someone you trust. Thats more important than the amount of money. Cause if your like the rest of us you dont have the money to throw away. I have done very cheap paint jobs for some and charged others more. There is a lot of factors that make that call.1 do i have extra clear laying around from the last 10 paint jobs? how pleasant you are to deal with? also its going to be more if i get junk parts from you. the more beat up the parts the more it will cost.There is alot of people who call themselves painters, some are,some are just a butcher.I would not trust my stuff with anyone i dont know or that i could not drop by to check on the job in progress. Do your research and allways go with your first gut feeling on the person. oh and yeah blacks the only way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but thats just me

Very true on all accounts.

I paid $325 for my paint job. The guy said it would be $440. Mine is painted the dupont super wet jet black or w/e it's called. Very very glossy and he did I think he said 2 base coats, 2 clear coats. He also completely removed the old paint as someone painted over spray paint. Reason I say I paid $325 is because I traded him the work for an HTC HD2 cell phone. Sold my DSLR camera for $325, bought the phone for same price, traded him straight up. Came out very nice for $400 paint job, but a few pieces are going back to get a little more attention. He was a guy I found off of craigslist, very very cool guy and was more than willing to fix anything I saw wrong with the paint. He said "I want you to be happy with the work" :)

I know a place in Pinebluff NC that will paint whatever color for around $500. And they are professional and you will not be dissapointed.

Back