Local rider down....WEAR PROPER GEAR !

Hope the guy is ok

So unless you ride in full leathers Always, you have no business even commenting on anyone else(this is directed at no one in particular)

sometimes its easier to give good advice than to actually follow said advice 100% of the time. I think the problem is that some folks don't even realize they are at risk when they are riding in gym shorts and flip flops. Not insinuating that this individual was in that category.

The hardest thing for me to get used to was putting on boots to go riding but other than that I was always pretty good about gearing up. After I witnessed a couple get offs, leather became the obvious choice.

I ride in jeans helmet boots and gloves all the time.
I have a Tourmaster mesh jacket with pads in proper places.
is it leathers? no and I wish I could afford a nice set.

My idea of proper gear is at least as stated Helmet gloves and a proper jacket not nylon like you say.
I have ridden for yrs (age 40) with nothing but T shirt and shorts but now just like even starting the bike without helmet it feels too uncomfortable to do so.
Sure leathers will work but a good set of levis may help a bit if you go down at moderate speeds.
I have been down and again at 40 when growing up leathers were not an option as they just werent available in rural Nashville TN nor did we have internet to order from.
I hit a dog on my XT125 at over 60mph.
Dog went into forks and bike locked up and threw me like a buck.
I did flyin Superman over bars onto road and slid so far on my full face OG Bell helmet it ground off all the metal snaps on shield (remember those).
My Levis were still in one piece except for where both my knees clipped bars as I was going over. This was ripped.
Again sliding down road in Jeans is no comp to leathers but it is way better than a t shirt flappin in the wind , shorts and sneakers.
All I'm trying to say.

Just be careful

I ride in jeans helmet boots and gloves all the time.
I have a Tourmaster mesh jacket with pads in proper places.
is it leathers? no and I wish I could afford a nice set.

My idea of proper gear is at least as stated Helmet gloves and a proper jacket not nylon like you say.
I have ridden for yrs (age 40) with nothing but T shirt and shorts but now just like even starting the bike without helmet it feels too uncomfortable to do so.
Sure leathers will work but a good set of levis may help a bit if you go down at moderate speeds.
I have been down and again at 40 when growing up leathers were not an option as they just werent available in rural Nashville TN nor did we have internet to order from.
I hit a dog on my XT125 at over 60mph.
Dog went into forks and bike locked up and threw me like a buck.
I did flyin Superman over bars onto road and slid so far on my full face OG Bell helmet it ground off all the metal snaps on shield (remember those).
My Levis were still in one piece except for where both my knees clipped bars as I was going over. This was ripped.
Again sliding down road in Jeans is no comp to leathers but it is way better than a t shirt flappin in the wind , shorts and sneakers.
All I'm trying to say.

Just be careful

That's what I used to think before I had a really low speed low-side last summer on my other bike. My jeans blew into dust essentially at less than 10mph and in about ten feet. No joking. Me knee was carved up nicely but luckily, no grafts req'd. Have two nice round scars as a reminder that jeans offer little protection over bare skin. Since then, it's been kevlar-reinforced jeans at a minimum, when it's just too hot for my two-piece leathers. When it gets so hot that the jeans would cook me, I take the Jeep and blast the A/C. If I can't ride comfortably in my gear, I don't ride.

There was a test I saw somewhere on the 'net comparing different types of clothing and how well they held up in a motorcycle crash. At ~60mph, IIRC, the denim jeans lasted just four feet dragging across pavement. It took way longer than four feet for the virtual rider to come to a stop.

That's what I used to think before I had a really low speed low-side last summer on my other bike. My jeans blew into dust essentially at less than 10mph and in about ten feet. No joking. Me knee was carved up nicely but luckily, no grafts req'd. Have two nice round scars as a reminder that jeans offer little protection over bare skin. Since then, it's been kevlar-reinforced jeans at a minimum, when it's just too hot for my two-piece leathers. When it gets so hot that the jeans would cook me, I take the Jeep and blast the A/C. If I can't ride comfortably in my gear, I don't ride.

There was a test I saw somewhere on the 'net comparing different types of clothing and how well they held up in a motorcycle crash. At ~60mph, IIRC, the denim jeans lasted just four feet dragging across pavement. It took way longer than four feet for the virtual rider to come to a stop.

TOLD YA SO:laugh:

Cheap jeans...:poke:

notice I said may help a bit.
You'll get no arguement from me .
Maybe it was my Sears Toughskins that held up 30yrs ago...:rofl:

i wend down with jeans and they held up just fine 40-50MPH

the tshirt on the other hand.....

ATGATT is how we always ride. We had two go down this past weekend up here. One died. The other seriously injured. They weren't wearing their helmets either. Be careful out there you all. Wear Your Gear!!!!:rulez:

Dress for the crash and not the ride.

yup! i melted in my leathers today. felt like it was 99deg. :fire: just splash down with water and keep ridin. as long as im movin its ok. shoot its better than ok. 1' of snow expected at my house, the heat feels good :laugh:

i see why jimmy buffet never went home..:lol:

from a local youngin i kept arguing w/ about gear, i guess he followed his own advice

12121-1.jpg

12.jpg

and yeah, sneakers ALWAYS come off at a crash. but they're cool! :rofl:

btw, my mesh jacket is kevlar vs plastic like most cheap "summer" jackets, BMW venting machine jacket.

Last edited:
from a local youngin i kept arguing w/ about gear, i guess he followed his own advice

12121-1.jpg

12.jpg

and yeah, sneakers ALWAYS come off at a crash. but they're cool! :rofl:

btw, my mesh jacket is kevlar vs plastic like most cheap "summer" jackets, BMW venting machine jacket.

ouch......!

a pic is worth a 1000 words for sure.
Oh well chicks dig scars...:laugh:

i hope the rider makes it out alright. i always gear up regardless of how hot it get's.

Like I tell fellow riders here in south Florida, better off hot then dead!:hot::hot::hot:
p.s. Blanca, where was this accident?

Like I tell fellow riders here in south Florida, better off hot then dead!:hot::hot::hot:
p.s. Blanca, where was this accident?

Accident was on Forest Hill blvd right before Jog going into Walmart .
Less than 2 miles from my home .

Back