Local rider down....WEAR PROPER GEAR !

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
Well I was entertaining Red1100cc (Russ Reddick) yesterday.
He had just come from NCOM convention in Orlando and stopped to say hey.
https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gene...31146-casper-keys-back-travel-log-w-pics.html
Looked at his tires and we both decided he needed new ones.
Introduced him to my local dealer , got him some new Dunlop Q2s on there for like 200 for the set and 15 bucks a piece to mount em.
On the way home I get a hysterical call from wife.
"Are you OK , OMG a white bike like yours is under a truck and OMG, are you ok and alot more OMGs"

I'm fine where did it happen ?
She tells me . We park Russ' bike at my home and go see if its someone I hopefully DONT know as I cant handle any more visits to the hospital for that reason.
Turns out it was not somebody I knew but it was a white Gsxr 1000 and after it exploded on impact it certainly to the wife looked like Blanca.

Rider was travelling in inside (#1) lane.
Truck travelling in middle (#2) lane.
Did not see him and decided to turn left into Walmart.
Came across his lane, he could not stop and rider hit side of truck and went down.
He was not wearing a helmet , nor proper gear.

The driver of truck told us he cracked his head and they transported him via ems to JFK medical center..

Bike laying in pieces on median
LOCALRIDERDOWN51010001.jpg

Nuther shot....
LOCALRIDERDOWN51010002.jpg

Hit the truck so hard it blew his sneakers off.
See it in the street ? Socks were most likely removed on scene by EMS
LOCALRIDERDOWN51010004.jpg

Impact on side of truck..
LOCALRIDERDOWN51010.jpg

Moral of the story boys and girls is always wear proper gear.
It was almost 90 here yesterday and Russ and I must have seen at least 1/2 dozen folks riding sport bikes with no more than this guy had.
Shorts, T shirt and sneakers.
End result is you may be King Kenny Roberts worlds greatest rider to ever saddle a bike thinking you are so good you will never crash.
This guy I will not say if speed is involved but from my exp here it most likely was. If he had been going speed limit of 40 maybe he could have reacted and slowed down enough to avoid truck crossing from center lane thru left lane into turn lane to go to Walmart and not be where he is now.
Just pay attn to others around you as they are not always aware of you as these folks were'nt.
Simply did not see him.

Be safe , eyes open and slow down..:please:

This concludes your daily safety lesson.

Sneakers ALWAYS come off. I wear Timberlands, so I can't really talk. I snapped at my little brother when I looked over at a light, and he had his helmet on, but not strapped.

Glad it wasn't a friend Blanca.

SORRY your wife had to go through that !!

It's not necessarily the bike speed, just cruzin at 25-30 mph can still get you in trouble.

In Hawaii a beach cruise can be fun, goin slow checkin out everyone and everyone checkin me and the busa out ...I used to do a beach cruise dressed like this

Pict0032.JPG

It's not necessarily the bike speed, just cruzin at 25-30 mph can still get you in trouble.

In Hawaii a beach cruise can be fun, goin slow checkin out everyone and everyone checkin me and the busa out ...I used to do a beach cruise dressed like this

As I said I cannot say but if I had to guess it was speed related.
Russ and I saw 1/2 dozen riding yesterday and 2 of them rounded a 90 degree corner and flat out opened it up.
Again I cannot say as I was not there.
Maybe he did all he could to avoid it and simply just could not ?
I do think that from 40 or so on a new Gixxer 1k you could stop that thing on a dime so its diff to imagine how he wound up hitting it.
With a helmet on he certainly would not have 'cracked his head and been bleeding bad' as the guy you see in pic said.
That I do know.

So the motorcycle was in the left lane, truck in center lane when the truck made a left turn across the motorcycle's lane and the motorcycle struck the truck's left side?

So the motorcycle was in the left lane, truck in center lane when the truck made a left turn across the motorcycle's lane and the motorcycle struck the truck's left side?

Si Senor !

Bike just riding along in lane #1
Truck in #2 lane prolly said shoot theres Walmart , TURN before you miss entrance and came right over on him.
Happens all the time here. Folks just go.
Whether or not they looked and did not see or did not look I dont know ?

Both wound up in turn lane as you can see arrow in front of truck on street.
Not sure if they hit in that lane or bike hit them in left lane and wound up on curb ?

Last edited:
guy in truck needs a big fat ass ticket, and should be sued for the riders medical, i dont see this as an accident you dont turn from the wrong lane

guy in truck needs a big fat ass ticket, and should be sued for the riders medical, i dont see this as an accident you dont turn from the wrong lane

Oh absolutely agree as there was no less than six PBSOs there trying to sort it out...BUT....if rider cracked head and was bleeding badly..i.e. brain swell and possible permanent mental damage no amount of $ will ever set that straight.
Rider is also very lucky driver of truck did not simply drive away as that happens very often around here as well. My own older bro on bicycle riding down sidewalk was run over by somebody flying out of parking lot.
Crushed both his knees and drove away leaving my bro for dead in middle of road !

Watch out !!!!!

Last edited:
Well said, gear up guys/gals. I know it sucks sweating you butt off in 90 plus deg weather but being able to ride another day is way better than looking cool with no gear for me. Be safe out there peeps :thumbsup:

Have to say when I saw Blanca under this thread title I was thinking it was you. Sad to hear and I hope he makes it my prayers to him and his family, but glad it wasn't a friend.

Oh absolutely agree as there was no less than six PBSOs there trying to sort it out...BUT....if rider cracked head and was bleeding badly..i.e. brain swell and possible permanent mental damage no amount of $ will ever set that straight.
Rider is also very lucky driver of truck did not simply drive away as that happens very often around here as well. My own older bro on bicycle riding down sidewalk was run over by somebody flying out of parking lot.
Crushed both his knees and drove away leaving my bro for dead in middle of road !

Watch out !!!!!

I know this feeling Blanca! Almost 4 years ago I had a driver clip my right hip at 70mph while I was changing a flat tire on my civic. He did not stop and just left me there on the side of the road. I had to crawl on my stomach to my passenger to get my cell phone to call 911. He was eventually caught and did some jail time.

ONE of the positive things to come out of this was that it allowed me to become a member of one of the greatest brotherhoods! The 'Busa brotherhood!!!!

Let us know how he's doing, if you can find out. Maybe introduce him to the Hayabusa if he can still walk/ride and a helmet. I feel sorry for the guy, but I think most of us know when we get onboard this can happen easily. Always wear a lid, pants, boots, long sleeve shirt at minimum.

Let us know how he's doing, if you can find out. Maybe introduce him to the Hayabusa if he can still walk/ride and a helmet. I feel sorry for the guy, but I think most of us know when we get onboard this can happen easily. Always wear a lid, pants, boots, long sleeve shirt at minimum.

As a result of privacy laws everywhere there is really no way I can find out as there are 20-30 accidents with injuries a day in my area.
Info is not stored on comps in LEOs cars so none of my friends can offer anything either.
If I called JFK med center first thing they would ask is if I am a relative.
If not no info will be given.

I too hope hes ok.

I hope he's ok too, especially since it seems he wasn't at fault. I do however have a few gripes with the safety police here.
I always wear a helmet, it's the law in VA(I would wear one even if it wasn't).
I have full leathers that I wear for hard riding.
I have an armored Joe Rocket winter jacket also, which I obiviously wear in the cold.
I have been riding for many, many years and I am a good rider.
That or course means nothing, as nobody plans to crash.
I do also ride in shorts, Nikes, and a tanktop(and helmet as said) when it's hot and I'm just cruisin around.
I have seen many times what the road has done to crashed riders with and without gear.
I've had several bad motocross crashes back in the days(dirt hurts too)so knowing what bicycle crash roadrash feels like, I can only imagine about skingraphs.
Here's my problem, I'm tired of hearing that my tank/shorts are so dangerous(as I know they could be) from the guys in jeans and long sleeved t shirts, or a nylon jacket!!!
Because your skin is covered in a little cloth only means it may save you a few scratches!!! Think about that!!!
So unless you ride in full leathers Always, you have no business even commenting on anyone else(this is directed at no one in particular)
If you do ride in full leathers, I commend you, it gets hot here and I can't always do it.
I thank GOD every time I ride that I'm ok, and I hope no one crashes...But think people!!!

Back