My first few mods finally done

ken_z

Registered
Hi, just wanted to post some pictures of my mods that have been finally completed.

First of all I like to thank the forum members that have given me info on doing the gen2 to gen 1 tail conversion, and a big thanks to Mr Greg Williams from HPC for the Tiforce, BMC, Power Commander and knowledge :).And also my buddy Eddie who helped me with the installation of the mods.

Mods done are :

Tiforce Full Ti Sumo high mnt exhaust (for gen1)
BMC race filter
Power Commander
gen2 tail section
leds on all turn signals
PSR stator cover

Now the problem I had installing the tail on and the Tiforce was that it was a high mount so the exhaust bracket was actually hitting the tail since it was shaped like a J. So I had to trim it into a V shape and after that everything fit perfectly.

J shaped bracket
IMG_0306.jpg

V shaped
IMG_0312.jpg

b131806d.jpg

88430fcf.jpg

Changed my front and rear turnsignals to LEDs so no more egg yoke color
249c8abb.jpg

IMG_0308.jpg

PSR stator cover
9fd08ccb.jpg

Some titanium love :p
eb991e18.jpg

9b28b064.jpg

So there you have it, sorry for the long post.

Man I like the 2nd gen tail... Nice. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Man that looks great! I have the same color 05. I had not been in love with the Gen 2 tail but that looks really good. Was the conversion tough?

Thanks everyone

Man that looks great! I have the same color 05. I had not been in love with the Gen 2 tail but that looks really good. Was the conversion tough?

Not really difiicult at all. You just have to relocate certain things like the rectifier and the evap canister. And also in my case cut the exhaust bracket to make sure everything cleared. You can still use the same seat lock from your gen1 but you would need to buy the: GUIDE,SEAT LOCK
part# 45288-14F20 which is like $5.

Last edited:
A few mods that needed to be done for this swap to work:

Tail light: The tail light wiring is different so you either have to splice or make your own harness. We ended up cutting off the old harness off the old tail and making a plug and play interface with it. The turn signal harness is exactly the same so no mods were required. The white wire with black line is brake light, the brown wire is parking light and the last one is obviously ground.

Evap canister: The factory gen 1 evap canister made it impossible for the new tail section to go on, it stuck out too much. What we ended up doing is removing the ring bracket, tucked further back and inwards more and used that half of the mounting ring to mount the canister more inwards.

ECU: The ECU on the 08+ are smaller then the older gens so the ecu space underneath the seat will need to be trimmed slightly so the ecu can sit flat enough for the seat can be placed without crushing it. I trimmed off a few parts of the plastic to make the ECU sit flat enough to clear the seat and reused that rubber band strap to secure it.

Rectifier: The rectifier's on 08+ are mounted totally somewhere else so it left very little options to mount this. I ended up moving it to the forward about 2-3" using one of the holes on the 08+ subframe and zip tie the rest to mount it. No other holes were lining up. This has to be mounted slightly diagonally to clear the tail cowl lock assy.

Exhaust: This one is optional but because we were dealing with a gen I Tiforce high mount exhaust, the peg mount holes were not in the same place as a gen I this left us with 2 options. One is to trim the cowl some to let the bracket hang out, or what Kenny did was option 2 is to cut the bracket leg off and use the peg mount hole to mount the exhaust. This layout is only for guys that only ride solo, you will lose your ability to have a right side peg so please note that. If i think of anything else i will edit or note that. I know one of these days i will be taking it apart again so i will snap some key spot pictures to show how everything was laid out.

Last edited:
Parts that were required for the swap:

Gen II Rear Main Cowling
Gen II Rear main cowling connector (plastic square piece that connects the left and right sides of the main cowl.)
Gen II Solo Seat cover or gen II pillion seat
Gen II Subframe assy with tail light bracket
Gen II Tail light assy or aftermarket Gen II led units
Gen II Plastic undertray cowling
Gen II Turn signal cowl housings L+R
Gen II Turn signals L+R
Gen II Cargo net fastener or otherwise called Frankenstein bolt or you can use a flushmount bolt with cap like Ken_z did.
Most of the fasteners can be reused and in the same places, you may need a few more fasteners but i lost track of how many after a while since i brought many of them from work.

I also forgot to add in that you also need a:

Gen II Cowl Lock bracket (the L shaped part that holds the cable)
Gen II Cowl Latch lock cable

Hey thanks for the information! I personally can't tackle this mod this year due to my wallet being depleted by all the other stuff I have done.

Back